https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/65392-getting_installed_in_japan.html

Getting installed in Japan
Thread poster: Julien Griffon
Julien Griffon
Julien Griffon
France
Local time: 12:10
English to French
+ ...
Feb 7, 2007

Hi everyone,

I've been living in Japan for six months, working for a local company and I'd like to start doing translation jobs on my own. Although my Japanese is improving every day, I'm not yet fluent, and I have some troubles finding information on how to get installed here. Can someone who has done this before help me, please?

Are there requirements or papers to fill in? Or do I simply get started and send my tax return with all my earnings, at the end of the year?<
... See more
Hi everyone,

I've been living in Japan for six months, working for a local company and I'd like to start doing translation jobs on my own. Although my Japanese is improving every day, I'm not yet fluent, and I have some troubles finding information on how to get installed here. Can someone who has done this before help me, please?

Are there requirements or papers to fill in? Or do I simply get started and send my tax return with all my earnings, at the end of the year?
Is there, like in the EC, a VAT number to get from some administration?

Just a precision: it's not a problem of visa, as I already have one.

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Julien
Collapse

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:10
Japanese to English
Lots of information... Feb 7, 2007

...at the following site.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/SmallBizJapan/
Description
This forum is a place for people running small business (including one-person shops) to talk about various problems, and how to get around them. It is specifically aimed at non-Japanese running companies in Japan, in the design/layout/translation/editing fields, but is
... See more
...at the following site.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/SmallBizJapan/
Description
This forum is a place for people running small business (including one-person shops) to talk about various problems, and how to get around them. It is specifically aimed at non-Japanese running companies in Japan, in the design/layout/translation/editing fields, but is open to everyone.

You can find loads of helpful info if you go through the archives after joining up, or just post a new Q for your situation.

HTH a little, and good luck!

Kathy
Collapse

Julien Griffon
Julien Griffon
France
Local time: 12:10
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Feb 7, 2007

Thanks for your answer.

I've been there, learned a lot and asked for even more

Julien

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting installed in Japan

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »