Thread poster: Therrien

Therrien  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:20
English to French
+ ...
Feb 17, 2007

Hello translators:

I've just started in the business of freelance translation and I have basically gathered burning questions on a marketing point of view. It applies on the subject of positioning and here lay the below facts:

I have left a company that trained me on translation and I was thereby promoted into this field, for 5 years, while only having education on study technology and education itself; not translation. I now started independantly and I evidently have not found the right communication lines to get contracts and/or have not provided what is really needed and wanted as a ENG>FR translator in my presentation.

Below is a quick survey. In taking a few minutes to answer it, I am sure it would not only help me but all those interrested:

1. In introducing one's services, what would be the determining factor that shows you ARE a professional translator?

2. What first presentation is important in long distance written communications?

3. What is seen as extremely LOW QUALITY in presenting one's services?

4. What is seen as a major PLUS in presenting one's services?

5. What should you HAVE in order to do a convincing offer for your translation work?

Thank you very much for your time:

Alexandre Therrien

Direct link Reply with quote

Carolin Haase  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:20
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
my ideas Feb 17, 2007

1. In introducing one's services, what would be the determining factor that shows you ARE a professional translator?

outline your experience

2. What first presentation is important in long distance written communications?

introduce yourself, keep it short, no big attachments (if any)

3. What is seen as extremely LOW QUALITY in presenting one's services?

spelling errors/ grammar/ poor language

4. What is seen as a major PLUS in presenting one's services?

be brief and to the point

5. What should you HAVE in order to do a convincing offer for your translation work?

don't forget to mention rates, deadline, experience or expertise, CAT tool
and/or a CV including projects, references (if required), professional experience etc. Keep it brief.

[Edited at 2007-02-17 16:40]

Buck
Netherlands
Dutch to English
I agree with Carolin, with one additional comment Feb 18, 2007

What is seen as a major PLUS in presenting one's services?translators:

FLEXIBILITY

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
My answers: Feb 18, 2007

1. It is professional to state your qualifications (+ any experience) plus your rate.

2. When I receive an application, what is of greatest interest to me is the translator's ability to express himself/herself in the target language. Therefore, the e-mail should be written in the target language and written as well as possible - not informally, but rather paying great attention to style and elegance of expression. I only give jobs to translators who prove their ability in the target language in their initial e-mail to me.

3. Low quality: poorly expressed e-mail, rates that are too low.

4. Again, demonstration of ability in target language.

5. Same answer as 2. and 4. Ability to write well in the target language is the main thing that you should have.

Astrid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Newbie survey

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search