DTP and translation
Thread poster: Lucía Bermúdez Carballo
Lucía Bermúdez Carballo  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 20, 2007

Hi! Could anyone give me some guidance as to which DTP programs might be more useful for a freelancer in general terms? I am clueless, just arrived! Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:22
Flemish to English
+ ...
Programs Feb 20, 2007

Pagemaker,Framemaker, QuarkPress.

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 19:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
As a translator, it's not really your choice! Feb 20, 2007

Unless you plan to produce fancy publications yourself, or are just looking for a DTP software to 'play with' as means of learning how DTP programs work and what they can do, then the choice of software is really in the hands of your clients, not you.

If you have a client that wants his PageMaker brochures translated, then you'll have to use ... PageMaker. If he sends you files in FrameMaker, then you'll need to use ... FrameMaker.

Unlike word-processing, where all the world and his dog seems to have standardised (for better or worse) on Word, there is no such consensus in the DTP world - largely because the first and most-successful DTP softwares were originally developped for the Mac or for othr non-Windows operating systems.

MediaMatrix

Lucija Raković  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
QuarkXPress Feb 20, 2007

Buenas!

Maybe it would be easier for you as a translator to work with QuarkXPress because it allows you to work on the level of the text so you don't need to bother with the pictures etc.

Gabriela Verešová  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
More programs Feb 20, 2007

Also InDesign CS is very popular....

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 05:22
English to Indonesian
+ ...
DTP Tools Feb 20, 2007

Hi Lucia,

Frankly, I am not so familiar with various types of software other than MS Office. However, having read several articles, it can be inferred that the well-known DTP tools are

FrameMaker (http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/index.html, commercial),

InDesign (http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign/, commercial),

QuarkXPress (http://www.quark.com/, commercial), and

Scribus (http://www.scribus.net/, free).

Personally, I do not provide for DTP services so far, particularly for their really expensive prices.:) (How poor I am.) If I had enough money, I would rather buy the newest version of Trados than a DTP tool. Nevertheless, they will be an added-value to a freelancer.

Best Regards

Hipyan Nopri

[Edited at 2007-02-20 16:04]

Lucía Bermúdez Carballo  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DTP and translation Feb 20, 2007

Thank you all! Great help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DTP and translation

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search