https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/67332-experience_and_client_portfolio.html

Experience and client portfolio
Thread poster: Fabrice -
Fabrice -
Fabrice -
Local time: 21:39
English to French
+ ...
Mar 1, 2007

Until now I never actively seeked translations, it was a side job and they always came through referrals.
But now I am going to transition to make translating my main activity.

So I am going to start sending my resume to agencies, but I have to 2 concerns:

First I have been doing translations for close to 8 years but it has always been a like an evening job, with some long period of inactivity.
So I would appreciate some advice on how to put the emphasis on
... See more
Until now I never actively seeked translations, it was a side job and they always came through referrals.
But now I am going to transition to make translating my main activity.

So I am going to start sending my resume to agencies, but I have to 2 concerns:

First I have been doing translations for close to 8 years but it has always been a like an evening job, with some long period of inactivity.
So I would appreciate some advice on how to put the emphasis on my translation experience over my full time jobs.

Second I have a small portfolio of customers but I am worried that if I mention them some unscrupulous agencies might use my portfolio as a prospection list. And rather than get more jobs actually end up with less customers.
Collapse

Latin_Hellas (X)
Latin_Hellas (X)
United States
Local time: 06:39
Italian to English
+ ...
Cite Industry or Company Type, Not Company Name Mar 2, 2007

As for the second point, on your resume simply cite the industry or types of companies (i.e. airplane parts manufacturers, banks, high technology companies, the oil & gas industry, etc.), and not the names of the actual companies.

Good luck!

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:39
Italian to English
Different ways of writing CVs Mar 2, 2007

There are many conventions when it comes to writing CVs, but not many rules. You don't need to write a chronological CV if this approach is not the best one for you. You could focus instead on the types of translation you are able to do, your areas of expertise and any translations you have had published, websites etc. Think about the information you want to prioritise and look at the CVs of other members on this site to get some ideas.

And there is no reason for prospective agencie
... See more
There are many conventions when it comes to writing CVs, but not many rules. You don't need to write a chronological CV if this approach is not the best one for you. You could focus instead on the types of translation you are able to do, your areas of expertise and any translations you have had published, websites etc. Think about the information you want to prioritise and look at the CVs of other members on this site to get some ideas.

And there is no reason for prospective agencies to know who your customers are. Personally speaking, I regard this as confidential information and don't give it to anyone.

Good luck
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experience and client portfolio

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »