https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/68198-getting_established_in_australia.html

Getting Established in Australia
Thread poster: Angela_S
Angela_S
Angela_S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:01
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 13, 2007

Hi everyone,

I have recently moved to Australia, where I am working part-time (not in translation).

I would really love to take my old translation job back, but I'm wondering from where I can start.

I have never been a freelancer before (I used to translate being hired by the company) but I already have a client who keeps proposing me jobs, which I have to refuse because I can't issue invoices.

I'd be very grateful if someone could help me.

Kathi Stock
Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:01
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Why can't you issue invoices? Mar 13, 2007

I don't see where the problem is. You work already part time (even if it is not in translation), you have a client that wants to give you work....so from all I can tell....you are ready to go. You can start with this one client and increase your customer base step by step until you can make the transition to a full-time translator.

Now why can't you issue an invoice? Just because you are not a full-time translator? Certainly not....

Kathi

Natasha Dupuy
Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:01
French to English
A good place to start... Mar 13, 2007

Hi Angela,

This would be a good place to start hunting for info:
http://www.business.gov.au/Business%20Entry%20Point/Business%20Topics/Home-based%20business/

and some information about the ABN (Australian Business N
... See more
Hi Angela,

This would be a good place to start hunting for info:
http://www.business.gov.au/Business%20Entry%20Point/Business%20Topics/Home-based%20business/

and some information about the ABN (Australian Business Number):
http://www.business.gov.au/Business%20Entry%20Point/Business%20Topics/Registration%20and%20licences/Register%20for%20taxation/Register%20for%20an%20Australian%20Business%20Number%20(ABN).htm

Best of luck!
Collapse

Eleonor Palacio
Eleonor Palacio  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:01
English to Spanish
Some tips Mar 14, 2007

Hi Angela,

I am an English-> Spanish translator living in Melbourne. You should probaly get yourself an ABN number to be able to invoice client.

Some websites you should check out NAATI

www.naati.com.au
(they are the National Accreditation Authority for translators and Interpreters)

and AUSIT

... See more
Hi Angela,

I am an English-> Spanish translator living in Melbourne. You should probaly get yourself an ABN number to be able to invoice client.

Some websites you should check out NAATI

www.naati.com.au
(they are the National Accreditation Authority for translators and Interpreters)

and AUSIT

www.ausit.org
(Australian Institute of Interpreters and Translators)

Good resources to get you started.

Regards
Eleonor
Collapse

Ian Davies
Ian Davies  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
It's actually very easy... Mar 18, 2007

Hi Angela

I recently was in your situation. I applied for an ABN (Australian Business Number) and then I could start invoicing clients. If you don't have one, the client has to deduct something like 47% tax from you, which is a big hassle for you and also for them...

It takes a couple of days to get the ABN (details have already been posted in this thread). You don't even need to register the name of a company - you just apply as a sole trader. You don't need to registe
... See more
Hi Angela

I recently was in your situation. I applied for an ABN (Australian Business Number) and then I could start invoicing clients. If you don't have one, the client has to deduct something like 47% tax from you, which is a big hassle for you and also for them...

It takes a couple of days to get the ABN (details have already been posted in this thread). You don't even need to register the name of a company - you just apply as a sole trader. You don't need to register for GST (equivalent of VAT for others who may be reading!) if your turnover is less than AUD 50,000/year. So no need to do a separate tax return either: as a sole trader your invoiced income will be amalgamated into your personal income for tax purposes.

Another thing: although you can do translations via the web it is probably worthwhile becoming a NAATI-accredited translator so that you can do certified translations. The exam is quite tough, and is only held once or twice a year, but worth the money.

Other tips:

Get yourself a website (the one available on ProZ is a good inexpensive start).

Get yourself listed in the Metropolitan (and local) Yellow Pages. Contrary to what they will tell you on the phone, you can a listing for free, but you have to insist a bit.

Let me know how you go.

Ian
Collapse

Angela_S
Angela_S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:01
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Apr 6, 2007

thanks to everyone for your precious advice, I really appreciate it !!

I went to the NAATI office in Melbourne and I am planning to sit for the examination to became an accredited translator, and then I will get the ABN as well.

Thanks again !!

Angela

EBoscolo
EBoscolo
Australia
English to Italian
+ ...
Italian translator in Melbourne Mar 11, 2008

HI Angela,
i think you finally got the accreditation and I would like to ask you a couple of things. I'm an Italian translator myself. I am a translator myself, I recently postgraduated in Technical Scientific Translation at Venice University and I am currently living in Melbourne. I would like to get the Naati accreditation of my overseas qualification in order to find a job, I think i will have more chances. Anyway, since I graduated as a translator i wouldn't need to sit the exam, i ne
... See more
HI Angela,
i think you finally got the accreditation and I would like to ask you a couple of things. I'm an Italian translator myself. I am a translator myself, I recently postgraduated in Technical Scientific Translation at Venice University and I am currently living in Melbourne. I would like to get the Naati accreditation of my overseas qualification in order to find a job, I think i will have more chances. Anyway, since I graduated as a translator i wouldn't need to sit the exam, i need my degree to be approved here and since it is in Italian I would need a naati accreditated translator in english and Italian to translate them. Actually I've already translated them myself and I would only need a proofreader and the NAATI stamp. Do you know anyone who can help me? Do you know how long it takes to be accreditated? Thanks million in advance, if you feel like and you are still in Melbourne we can have a coffee and a chat as Italians do.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting Established in Australia

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »