Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What can a translator do if he doesn\'t receive money from a job he did on-line?
Thread poster: Michele Galuppo

Michele Galuppo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:21
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 4, 2003

I recently did a 40,000 word job on-line but I haven\'t get paid yet; what can I do since I only have the customer\'s e-mail? I finished the job on the end ot October,I was supposed to be paid by December 1st but I haven\'t heard anything since.What can I do to get my money?

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marcela García  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
How to get paid Jan 4, 2003

I usually send a reminder email when payment is late. If this does not work and I am dealing with a project manager, and I am not getting an anwer to my email, I contact their corporate office asking for my payment and that works well.

It is also a good idea to ask for an advance for large jobs, 30% for example.



Good luck.



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Robert INGLEDEW  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
THE BLUE BOARD WORKED FINE FOR ME Jan 4, 2003

I had a client in Belgium who gave me a job to do. Months passed by with no new of the payment. So after a number of reminders by E-mail with no result, I posted them in the Blue Board mentioning that they had not paid me yet, copied the Blue Board posting and sent a copy to them in an E-mail.



Two weeks later they requested instructions for paying me. It took five months, but they finally paid.



Robert Ingledew


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Egmont
Spain
Local time: 16:21
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
Ask on-line payment in advance Jan 4, 2003

As usual in all the Internet e-businesses...

first you have to pay and then you receive...



For example

To become a Platinum or Premium ProZ.com member you have to pay in advance...

To get a book from Amazon you have to pay in advance...

And son on...

_________________



[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-04 15:39]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Domenica Grangiotti  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:21
English to Italian
+ ...
Same situation Jan 4, 2003

For 4.000 words only, however. And it was a job I had found on Aquarius.

I recently mentioned this in another forum.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic_id=7358&forum_id=26



And I did have P.O. and a signed FAX.



I sent an email to Aquarius and this is their reply. Maybe some links are useful to you, too.



From: \"Ylann Schemm\"

To:

Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 5:04 PM

Subject: RE: An agency has disappeared!!





> Dear Domenica,

>

> Thank you for your message. We regret to hear you are having difficulties

> collecting your payment from your client. Aquarius\' role is that of a

> marketplace rather than an arbitrator of disputes between freelance

> translators or translation agencies. We do recognize though that freelancers

> sometimes need to air grievances, or research the payment policies of

> prospective clients - especially since they are physically isolated from

> their clients and from each other. For this reason, we frequently refer our

> members to TCR (Translator Client Review) which we feel is a better platform

> for these activities. You can find them at

>

>

> No matter how comfortable you may feel with each other, it is always best to

> establish a clear written contract in advance. Later if questions arise,

> they can be dealt with simply and quickly by referring back to the original

> contract. (You can download an excellent sample contract from the American

> Translator\'s Association web site at www.atanet.org )

>

> Before entering into an agreement, we also urge you to consult the Payment

> Practices List run by

> David Orpin and Ted Wozniak. The popular Payment Practices List (initially

> set up by Karin Adamczyk) is considered a trustworthy source of information

> for translators who want to protect themselves against unprofessional

> translation agencies or customers. Another important nexus for translators

> is www.translatortips.com .With active forums and places to announce acts of

> unscrupulous behavior, this website is a must for the freelance translator.

>

> We wish you good luck in solving your problem, please keep us informed.

> Please also let me know if you need further contact details of this agency.

>

> Kind regards,

>

> Aquarius Community Management

> www.aquarius.net



Keep pestering the Company that owes you money. Don\'t give up.

Good luck.

Domenica



P.S. I also believe we could debate about the issue of \"arbitration of disputes\" on Proz. What do you think?



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michele Galuppo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:21
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
job not paid Jan 4, 2003

Quote:


On 2003-01-04 15:50, domenica02 wrote:

For 4.000 words only, however. And it was a job I had found on Aquarius.

I recently mentioned this in another forum.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic_id=7358&forum_id=26



And I did have P.O. and a signed FAX.



I sent an email to Aquarius and this is their reply. Maybe some links are useful to you, too.



From: \"Ylann Schemm\"

To:

Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 5:04 PM

Subject: RE: An agency has disappeared!!





> Dear Domenica,

>

> Thank you for your message. We regret to hear you are having difficulties

> collecting your payment from your client. Aquarius\' role is that of a

> marketplace rather than an arbitrator of disputes between freelance

> translators or translation agencies. We do recognize though that freelancers

> sometimes need to air grievances, or research the payment policies of

> prospective clients - especially since they are physically isolated from

> their clients and from each other. For this reason, we frequently refer our

> members to TCR (Translator Client Review) which we feel is a better platform

> for these activities. You can find them at

>

>

> No matter how comfortable you may feel with each other, it is always best to

> establish a clear written contract in advance. Later if questions arise,

> they can be dealt with simply and quickly by referring back to the original

> contract. (You can download an excellent sample contract from the American

> Translator\'s Association web site at www.atanet.org )

>

> Before entering into an agreement, we also urge you to consult the Payment

> Practices List run by

> David Orpin and Ted Wozniak. The popular Payment Practices List (initially

> set up by Karin Adamczyk) is considered a trustworthy source of information

> for translators who want to protect themselves against unprofessional

> translation agencies or customers. Another important nexus for translators

> is www.translatortips.com .With active forums and places to announce acts of

> unscrupulous behavior, this website is a must for the freelance translator.

>

> We wish you good luck in solving your problem, please keep us informed.

> Please also let me know if you need further contact details of this agency.

>

> Kind regards,

>

> Aquarius Community Management

> www.aquarius.net



Keep pestering the Company that owes you money. Don\'t give up.

Good luck.

Domenica



P.S. I also believe we could debate about the issue of \"arbitration of disputes\" on Proz. What do you think?

That\'s a good idea!Thank you for your help.



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michele Galuppo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:21
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
job not paid Jan 4, 2003

Quote:


On 2003-01-04 15:36, albertov wrote:

As usual in all the Internet e-businesses...


first you have to pay and then you receive...





For example


To become a Platinum or Premium ProZ.com member you have to pay in advance...


To get a book from Amazon you have to pay in advance...


And son on...


_You are completely right!__________




[ This Message was edited byn2003-01-04 15:39]



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michele Galuppo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:21
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
job not paid Jan 4, 2003

Quote:


On 2003-01-04 14:33, 1964 wrote:

Quote:




On 2003-01-04 12:21, migalu63 wrote:



I recently did a 40,000 word job on-line but I haven\'t get paid yet; what can I do since I only have the customer\'s e-mail? I finished the job on the end ot October,I was supposed to be paid by December 1st but I haven\'t heard anything since.What can I do to get my money?











After you have been assigned a job or similtaneouly you should demand a PO, that is a Purchase Order. In this purchase order, as its title briefed, agency assigns formally the job to you with all details which will be all used invoicing the agency after your delivery of the job.



As terms and conditions are provided there it may be used for any legal action in case of a dispute.



However before you have done the job you should have absolutely consulted your colleagues via a Payment Practices list(But only those sections devoted for this not other places).



There is a Blue Board in Proz.com, you may see past Payent practices of said company or if there is no information yet, you may initiate an inquiry entering info about company (in blue board).



As you see there are more things to do in advance than later is.



Perhaps it is late but you may still refer to blue board.



First try to collect information on internet (Google the name as \"Mr.xxx \" )and through PP lists.











[ This Message was edited byn2003-01-04 14:40]

Unfortunately I wasn\'t considerate enough to demand a PO;next time I\'ll know better.Thank you for your reply.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michele Galuppo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:21
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
job not paid Jan 4, 2003

Quote:


On 2003-01-04 13:59, Hispawords wrote:

I usually send a reminder email when payment is late. If this does not work and I am dealing with a project manager, and I am not getting an anwer to my email, I contact their corporate office asking for my payment and that works well.

It is also a good idea to ask for an advance for large jobs, 30% for example.



Good luck.



That\'s an idea;unfortunately it was my first on-line job and I wasn\'t considerate enough to demand a 30% in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:21
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same case, MANY more words. Jan 4, 2003

And I do not have a PO, as it was quite a long-going project. The agency in question paid up to certain point and then they stopped payments. I have:

- e-mailed

- phoned

- used the Blueboard

with no results.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-04 18:34]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxwilliamson
Local time: 16:21
Dutch to English
+ ...
On-site payment Jan 4, 2003

This is no guarantee, but if it is a European agency, you could always ask them if you can pick up \"payment at their offices so that it will not get lost\".

With flight prices in Europe being so cheap (thank you Ryanair.com), this should be no problem at all. It is no guarantee to get your money, but it might incite an agency to pay. If you appear somewhere in person they cannot avoid you.

Of course, if the agency is situated outside Europe, it becomes a bit more expensive, but still worth-wile if a large sum of money is involved.

Wouldn\'t mind flying to anywhere in North-America to pick up money owed at the office of an agency.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Jane Lamb-Ruiz  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
do you have the addresses in-country of the companies? Jan 4, 2003

Where aret he two companies? If you give me the countries and addresses, I may help you.



thanx

send privately if you like


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Uwe Kirmse  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:21
Polish to German
+ ...
There's nothing you can do but to swear :-( Jan 4, 2003

If you can\'t identify the customer and you have only the email, you can\'t do anything. The email is surely @hotmail.com, @msn.com, @lycos.com... If it\'s such an email, you can be sure, that you won\'t find the customer and that he\'s never intended to pay for the job.


If it is an email like xxx@customersname.com you can identify the domain owner at http://www.nic.com/nic_info/whois.htm.


Nevertheless I think, he wouldn\'t use an email, that allows to identify him.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-04 22:26]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Steffen Pollex  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:21
English to German
+ ...
Pray for some time, then forget it and be more cautious next time Jan 4, 2003

[quote]

On 2003-01-04 12:21, migalu63 wrote:What can a translator do if he doesn\'t receive money from a job he did on-line?



Sorry, but that\'s probably all you can do since you zhave no contact information. This time, you acted really unprofessionally. A 4,000 bucks job for an email address probably spelling 12345@yahoo.com?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Egmont
Spain
Local time: 16:21
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
http://www.tolsonmessenger.co.uk/pi/prob2.htm Jan 5, 2003

Quote:


On 2003-01-04 16:06, migalu63 wrote:

Quote:


On 2003-01-04 15:36, albertov wrote:

As usual in all the Internet e-businesses...


first you have to pay and then you receive...





For example


To become a Platinum or Premium ProZ.com member you have to pay in advance...


To get a book from Amazon you have to pay in advance...


And son on...


_You are completely right!__________




[ This Message was edited byn2003-01-04 15:39]



ALSO:

get yourself a good

professional indemnity insurance - while doing a little research on the subject

(I don\'t have one either), I found this link, that could be of interest

to some of you:



http://www.tolsonmessenger.co.uk/pi/prob2.htm



(no affiliation with them whatsoever).


[addsig]

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What can a translator do if he doesn\'t receive money from a job he did on-line?

Advanced search







PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search