Getting established in the UK
Thread poster: florence92
florence92
English to French
Jul 1, 2007

Hi,

I am an in-house translator in France.

For personal reasons, I am soon going to leave France and live in London (probably for a few years).

What should I do to get established as a freelance translator in the UK? Are there many formalities?

Thanks for your help !

Florence

Direct link Reply with quote

_Slawomir_  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:38
English to Polish
That's not a problem Jul 1, 2007

You should just register as self-employed (which is very easy), find some professional insurance and an accountant, so you will not have to worry about all tax regulations from the very beggining. You can still cooperate with your previous clients (as I do) and find some new ones (as I did). Good luck.

LM Loh  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:38
French to English
+ ...
Check out Business Link site Jul 1, 2007

Hi florence92,

You can check out the Business Link website. It'll take you through registration, tax filing deadlines, national insurance contributions, etc.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/home?r.l1=1073858805&r.l3=1075391048&r.l2=1073859167&r.s=l

See also the CWF1 form for registering as self-employed & national insurance:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/individuals/fgcat-selfemployment.shtml

Good luck =)

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:38
English to French
+ ...
Limited Company Jul 2, 2007

You could also decide to register as a Limited Company - very similar to the French EURL but easier to manage.
This is what I did 10 years ago when freelancing in London, because at that time it was more profitable regarding taxes.

It is quite simple to establish your business, personally I found that the more difficult for me was :
1) to get my permanent National Insurance Number (you have to get an appointment with the office and in London they are very very busy ... expect to wait for a while !) but they give you a temporary number which is fine.

2) to open a bank account - they asked for references from my former bank, from other people, etc...

Good luck !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting established in the UK

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search