How to find out which foreign publishing houses employ translators in my language pair?
Thread poster: Yelena Pestereva

Yelena Pestereva  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:16
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 19, 2007

The thing is that I am a book translator and I know very well major publishing houses issuing books on economics which is my field of expertise. But I don't know which of them need translators. Are there any lists of publishing houses translating books or lists of translated books? I'll be very thankful for any tip.

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:16
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Writers' and Artists' Yearbook Jul 19, 2007

Yelena Pestereva wrote:
But I don't know which of them need translators. Are there any lists of publishing houses translating books or lists of translated books?

I don't know if there's a list of publishers that need translators, but you can bet that most publishers do make use of translators sooner or later. Therefore simply a list of publishers may be good enough already.

Try the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook (most recent edition is the 2008 edition, which is the 101th edition). It contains, among others, contact details and information of publishers from all over the world.

Even if you get an old copy at some second-hand store that is 5 or 10 years out of date, chances are many of the listings will still be valid.

Recently they also started publishing the W&A Yearbook for children's books publishers and for poetry publishers.

Yelena Pestereva  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:16
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Jul 19, 2007

A useful advice from very far away...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to find out which foreign publishing houses employ translators in my language pair?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search