Implications of relocating from Spain to Canada
Thread poster: Ross Andrew Parker

Ross Andrew Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:11
Catalan to English
+ ...
Aug 30, 2007

I translate from Spanish into English and have been living in Spain since I started working as a translator about seven years ago. I'm now considering moving back to Canada, so I'm thinking about the implications of this from a work perspective.

I currently work for agencies in the UK, Ireland, the US and Spain, and for direct clients based in Spain.

I think that for clients based outside Spain my physical location shouldn't be too much of a concern to them. Agencies based in the UK and Ireland pay me in euros, and I don't lose anything on transaction costs or currency exchange. If I were based in Canada, I suppose that PayPal might be the best payment system to use, which would mean some loss due to the transaction cost and currency exchange.

I'm not sure if being invoiced by a translator based in another country would pose any problems for direct clients based in Spain in terms of bureaucratic requirements.

If you've relocated to your home country (or considered doing so) and have any advice/suggestions, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Direct link Reply with quote

Rodrigo Mencía  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
My point of view Aug 30, 2007

Ross Parker wrote:

I'm not sure if being invoiced by a translator based in another country would pose any problems for direct clients based in Spain in terms of bureaucratic requirements.

This shouldn't be a problem at all, I did it when I was living in France and as long as they receive an invoice, you can ask Krusty the Clown to issue them. But this means that the person who does that for you will have to declare a lot of money in his or her next IRPF declaration, and you should pay him/her the 15% per transaction (but it's not exactly 15%, so it's impossible to know until your friend does the IRPF thingy). I wouldn't suggest you doing this except for emergencies.

When it comes to paypal, if I were you I'd keep my Spanish bank account and grant Power of Attorney to a person of my trust so he or she can retrieve new debit cards from the bank when they are renewed. I use LaCaixa and they let me do all my transactions via internet. In this way, you 'd be able to transfer money whenever you need it (on a monthly basis, for instance) and still charge in Euros to your European clients.

When I lived in Argentina and France, I still used my Spanish credit card and it worked perfectly. But anyway, changing everything to Canadian accounts is unavoidable, so this will only give you time to think how to change things in the best possible way and what are the best conditions to do it (maybe you can find a bank in Canada which can have special conditions for your transactions, just like I did with my Spanish bank...)

Good luck in your new life!

[Editado a las 2007-08-30 09:41]

[Editado a las 2007-08-30 09:42]

Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 19:11
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I have a number of clients in Spain Aug 30, 2007

and have worked from Toronto for the past few years. For Spanish, or other European clients I have no problem charging Euros, and receiving them. I set up a Euro account and a Dollar account on Paypal here, and have a Euro account at the bank here as well (HSBC-the're great for people who work internationally), so I only convert when necessary.
As for invoicing, either I use my own, sent via e-mail of course, which seem fine for everyone as long as I make sure I include the info each client requires for their country, or PayPal has a good invoicing system which I use for my Spanish clients, and they seem happy enough...
Not to discourage you from coming back, but the temperature just dropped about 10 degrees- bring your toque!

Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - GST/PST? Aug 30, 2007

Thanks for your answer, Juliana. It's particularly interesting for me to hear from someone in the same situation I'm contemplating getting myself into.

I suppose that you don't have to charge clients outside of Spain GST or PST (which they wouldn't be able to get back). Is that right?

Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I wish I could give you a cut and dried answer Aug 30, 2007

but it is a sticky subject. My understanding is that one is meant to charge for any services provided from Canada, no matter where the client is, but don't take my word on it...To be honest, I generally do NOT charge my out of country clients the gov't taxes...I have a feeling someone like Viktoria could answer this better...

Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
GST/PST Aug 30, 2007

Thanks, Juliana. No doubt that's a point I'd have to check with the authorities there. From here in Spain I don't have to charge US agencies IVA/VAT. It would obviously be a competitive disadvantage to have to charge Canadian sales tax.

bububu  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
GST/PST Aug 30, 2007

To my knowledge, you must charge these taxes (at least inside Canada) if you have a registered business. And you do not have to register it if your annual income is less than $30000 (Canadian).
Take a look: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4072/t4072-e.html#P185_13496

Chris Lancaster  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Charging US agencies IVA Aug 30, 2007

Just a quick question Ross, and not anything to do with this particular thread exactly... You say you don't have to charge US agencies IVA from Spain and yet I received a call yesterday from my 'gestor' saying I had to correct an invoice to a US agency because I hadn't charged IVA. She was adament that IVA was payable by US companies. This was my first US client so I'd like to know whether she's right. Any pointers? Oh, and all the very best if you do go back to Canada.

Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
IVA for US clients Aug 31, 2007

Christopher Lancaster wrote:

She was adament that IVA was payable by US companies. This was my first US client so I'd like to know whether she's right. Any pointers?

I called Hacienda directly about this (the info line) and they told me that I didn't have to charge a US translation agency IVA. I try to get be without a gestor (which is perhaps a risky proposition in Spain).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Implications of relocating from Spain to Canada

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search