Making my first invoices... help!
Thread poster: Jessica M

Jessica M  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:01
Spanish to English
Sep 6, 2007

I have a translation that includes a few words in Catalán. Do I count those too? I seem to remember a professor saying that yes, they count.

Do I count from the original document or from my translation?

What about repetitive headers and footers in a document?

Also, for those in the EU (or more specifically, in Spain)... I am not declared as "autónoma" (self-employed) yet... Will this make a difference? I am married to a Spanish citizen and therefore have permission to work legally in Spain. Is a DNI sufficient?

Thanks in advance for your help, guys!

[Edited at 2007-09-06 08:52]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Nice question Sep 6, 2007

Why don't you ask your client first about wordcount?
What is specified in the purchase order you received from your client?

Even if you have nothing on paper, you should have heard something from her/him..

[Edited at 2007-09-06 09:15]

Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hmmmmm...wellllll.... Sep 6, 2007

It is a fairly large agency based in Barcelona, and really all they have done is mail me the documents and, in a prior email, told me what they would be paying per word (although they didn't specify whether it would be from the original word or the translated word).

What about the words in Catalán? Do they count?

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Taxoffice will help Sep 6, 2007

You should ask some official about these questions. And the customer about your invoice.
Regards
Heinrich

Ricardo Pereira  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:01
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Generally, the document counted is the original document. Sep 6, 2007

Jessica M wrote:

Do I count from the original document or from my translation?

What about repetitive headers and footers in a document?

Thanks in advance for your help, guys!

Generally, the document counted is the original document. However, there are some clients that require the translator to count the pages he "produces" with a standard formating (Times New Roman 12; justified; 1,5 line spacing).

However I think you should clarify those questions with the client (or suggest your own, if you prefer). There has to be an agreement before the job is started.

In my point of view, repetitive headers and footers in a document are to be counted one time (one only translates them once).

Cheers, Ricardo

[Edited at 2007-09-06 10:29]

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:01
French to English
+ ...
did you translate the Catalán? Sep 6, 2007

If you translated the Catalán words, count them. As you did not agree a repetition rate with the agency, invoice them in full for the full word count (i.e. don't take repetition into account, especially as it'll take you time to count the repetitions). I'd use source word count, but this is not a hard and fast rule.

Can't help you with Spanish self-employment rules.

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
issuing bills Sep 6, 2007

Jessica M wrote:

I am not declared as "autónoma" (self-employed) yet... Will this make a difference? I am married to a Spanish citizen and therefore have permission to work legally in Spain. Is a DNI sufficient?

As far as I'm aware you cannot issue any bills until you are "de alta". Spain is quite bureaucratic, and a minefield of rules and regulations, you should talk to a gestor.

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
Something wrong here Sep 6, 2007

Jessica M wrote:

It is a fairly large agency based in Barcelona, and really all they have done is mail me the documents and, in a prior email, told me what they would be paying per word (although they didn't specify whether it would be from the original word or the translated word).

I have some spanish fairly large agencies based in Spain (Madrid, Bilbao..) as my clients. I have an impression that they will not work with anybody before the Collaboration agreement with the translator is signed in black and white. After that comes the PO and there is the only way they work.

I am sorry to say but if somebody sends me the papers with only one remark - translate and we shall pay in the end of the day.... I would be really at a loss.

By the way, I see no problem to make a phone call to your project manager and put some questions. That is why they (people from the agencies) sometimes sit in those beautiful offices at their mahogany desks :0)))

PS: DON'T BE AFRAID TO CALL THEM.
It may happen that when you invoice them someone from that agency will send you an email saying that you translated the wrong file and they are not gonna pay for the work they did not order..... And if there is not purchase order there is no discussion...

It's your effort and time spent at stake here. Don't be shy and do not afraid to make a phone call.. This can save if not millions but hundred of euro..

[Edited at 2007-09-06 15:54]

Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Well, they seem legit to me... Sep 6, 2007

And I have called and straightened out all of the specifics. Thanks for your help everyone!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Making my first invoices... help!

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search