https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/84350-umbrella_company_or_own_limited_company_uk.html

Umbrella Company or own Limited Company (UK)
Thread poster: Carmen Roig
Carmen Roig
Carmen Roig  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:17
English to Spanish
Sep 20, 2007

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get started as a freelance translator in the UK. I would like to know whether is better to create your own Limited Company and get an accountant to help me with the paper work or to join an Umbrella company (if this is actually something translators do)

Thanks,
Carmen

Ute Wietfeld
Ute Wietfeld  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:17
English to German
+ ...
Website... Sep 20, 2007

Hi Carmen,

AFAIK the easiest way to set up as a freelancer in the UK is to declare yourself a "sole trader" - basically, you just inform the Inland Revenue that you are self-employed. So it's not really necessary to form a Limited Company or join an Umbrella Company. If you want to go down that route, however, this website might help:
... See more
Hi Carmen,

AFAIK the easiest way to set up as a freelancer in the UK is to declare yourself a "sole trader" - basically, you just inform the Inland Revenue that you are self-employed. So it's not really necessary to form a Limited Company or join an Umbrella Company. If you want to go down that route, however, this website might help:

http://www.freelanceuk.com/become/set_up_freelance_company.shtml

Good luck!

Ute
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Umbrella Company or own Limited Company (UK)

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »