CioL Diploma in Translation
Thread poster: Annalouise
Annalouise
Local time: 07:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 5, 2007

Hi everyone,

I am a British girl who has recently started to work as a freelance translator. I am planning to do the CioL Diploma in Translation exam probably in 2009 and wondered whether anyone here has done this examination. I have just completed an Introduction to Translation course at International House in Barcelona (which I would thoroughly recommend to anyone here getting started) and I was encouraged there to do this professional examination although warned that the pass rate was not very good! Apparently even experienced translators have failed this examination. I am keen to go ahead as I would like to obtain a professional translation qualification although a bit anxious about the low pass rate!! Has anyone done this exam and if so, what was their experience?

Direct link Reply with quote

Karine Piera  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
CIOL = IOL diploma? Oct 5, 2007

If yes, I have passed this exam in 2005 and it seemed rather easy. The only preparation I have done was reading the newspapers daily in English and in French and trying to learn about some fields I did not feel so comfortable with. I passed the 3 papers. I was allowed to have dictionnaries, which I thought was a bit odd, but nevermind me. I would recommend not to spend too much time on your draft, time seemed to fly.

Good luck to you.

PS. If we are not speaking about the same exam, I apologise in advance

Annalouise
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CioL = IoL Oct 5, 2007

Hi

In answer to your question Karine yes it is the same examination - in fact maybe the name is IoL - I'm not sure. Anyway, it was great to hear your positive feedback about the Diploma - as you said, I think keeping on top of current affairs is really important when preparing for such exams.
Out of interest, did you start translating after or before you did the Diploma? Has it been easier to gain work since gaining this qualification? I would be interested to hear any comments you might have.

Thanks again

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CioL Diploma in Translation

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search