International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Getting started
Thread poster: Fernanda Le Cocq
Fernanda Le Cocq
Local time: 15:06
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nov 12, 2007

Hi

I am new in this whole translation world and would really appreciate if anyone could give me a tip on how to start, what course I should do, in order to initiate my career as a translator.

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:06
English to Italian
+ ...
Article Knowledgebase Nov 12, 2007

Hello

Have you read all the articles in the section 'Getting started'?

[http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/categories/Business-of-Translation-and-Interpreting/

Best wishes,
Lucia

Suzette Martin-Johnson
Canada
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Advice Nov 12, 2007

Hi Fernanda

It's hard to give specific advice as there are many options out there. However, as you are already a university graduate and might not want to go for another full-time three-year degree for now, how about an online course such as those offered by the University of Toronto and New York University?

I would suggest that you focus on translating to your native language unless you are fully bilingual. This will help your product to be the best it can be. It would also be good to work out 1-3 areas of specialization. I see you are an international relations graduate. That should be a good place to start although I think a lot of people (including me) specialize in that area - so you have to look at demand. I see you have subtitling etc on your profile...

You could also have a read of Jeremy Munday's Introducing Translation Studies and Douglas Robinson's Becoming a Translator. They will give you a little intellectual/ theoretical grounding which is just as important as hands on experience in the long run.

As the previous poster has mentioned, there is also lots of info on this on proz, so have a look.

Let us know how it is going.

[Edited at 2007-11-12 11:07]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:06
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Read books. Nov 12, 2007

Fernanda Le Cocq wrote:
I am new in this whole translation world and would really appreciate if anyone could give me a tip on how to start, what course I should do, in order to initiate my career as a translator.

Read books.

http://www.accurapid.com/journal/38review.htm
http://www.proz.com/topic/74640

[Edited at 2007-11-12 15:14]

Karen Tkaczyk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:06
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Read Corinne Mackay's Book Nov 13, 2007

http://www.amazon.com/How-Succeed-as-Freelance-Translator/dp/1411695208/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194977567&sr=8-1
$19.95
Karen

Courses Nov 22, 2007

As you probably know you don't really need a qualification to work as a translator. However many translators in the UK have the Institute of Linguists Diploma in Translation, or a Masters in Translation, or the Community Translation course.

The books mentioned are also very useful.

Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting started

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search