How to work as Russian-English translator in Australia
Thread poster: kraeside

kraeside
Russian to English
Nov 29, 2007

I have been living in Russia for the past 18 months, and have managed to get to upper-intermediate level Russian (I recently passed TORFL level 2 and got an A), and it is my ultimate goal to work as a translator. Can anyone help me with next steps?
I have looked for masters courses in Australia, but I can only find Translating and Interpreting (requiring native level), or the one course I found that offers Translation with a Russian stream is at Australian National University in Canberra, and is not NAATI accredited. Is this worth doing?
I am really not sure what my options are, if this is worth pursuing, is there a demand in Australia, how to get started etc.
If anyone with experience in the Australian industry could give me advice I would be very grateful.

Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 08:39
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Freelancing is not limited georgaphically Nov 29, 2007

No need to limit oneself to a sertain country/region - we work via Internet.

Education can be important for some clients. but what matters most is your skills, ability to deliver a quality product, specialization and understanding of the market. Marketing skills are a great help in securing your place in this market, too.

Besl luck!
Oleg

The Misha
Local time: 01:39
Russian to English
+ ...
To which I can add ... Nov 29, 2007

that you should not count on getting rich off it any time soon, or even making a regular decent living - not while living outside of Russia anyway. There are much greener pastures for sure.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to work as Russian-English translator in Australia

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search