Ltd. company or sole trader?
Thread poster: Stuart Robertson

Stuart Robertson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:32
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 15, 2008

I am seriously considering going freelance in the coming months and am in the process of drawing up a business plan. My question is with regard to legal structures of the business.

It seems that many people on here believe that setting up as sole trader is preferable to setting up as a Ltd. company. Nevertheless, from the info I have come across, it would seem more beneficial to set up as a Ltd. company, as you pay less tax/NICs etc., reap more benefits in terms of dividends and, should it prove difficult to gain clients, it seems that as a Ltd. company, you will not be personally liable for the debts of the company should it go bankrupt.

What is the reason therefore that many people set up as a sole trader? What are the benefits to becoming a sole trader?

Many thanks for your input in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ltd. company or sole trader?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search