Getting started as an interpreter
Thread poster: Sunilda
Sunilda
Local time: 09:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 5, 2008

Hi,
I just recently I signed up on Proz. I was contacted by a company called Zonecare USA, who linked up to me through Proz. I would be accompaying patients to healthcare appointments.
Their contract states that I should have something called "Errors and Omissions" insurance. I did some research and found it to be expensive. I did speak to my representative at Zonecare and she said that most interpreters don't carry it, and it's not really required.
Has anyone heard of this and have any ideas on how to manage it?
Thank-you all,
Suny

Direct link Reply with quote

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:24
English to Arabic
+ ...
That engaging firm is responsible for such insurance coverage Feb 6, 2008

Greetings.

That firm which engages your professional services and dispatches you to suport those medical appointments is responsible for providing such insurance coverage, as you are acting as an agent / representative of that firm as the interpreter during those healthcare appointments.

The firm is liable, so the firm must provide those coverages, not you. Otherwise, may I suggest that you decline that firm and find engagements with firms which follow a more-solid set of business practices (and awareness of applicable insurance laws).

For additional comments by other medical / healthcare interpreters, you might also post your question in the appropriate Q&A section of the website for the California Healthcare Interpreters Association (CHIA) at < http://www.chia.ws >.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
English - Arabic, Kurdish and Persian
San Pedro, California
Member, CHIA - Los Angeles Chapter

[Edited at 2008-02-06 20:57]

xxxRenascence
United States
Korean to English
+ ...
malpractice insurance for an interpreter Feb 8, 2008

Hello Sunilda,

I believe "Errors and Omissions insurance" means "insurance for a law suit", in case an interpreter makes a serious mistake and causes harm to a client. As an interpreter, it could be a horrific nightmare.

If you work as an in-house interpreter, the company who hired you should have all the coverage for it. However if you work as an independent contractor, it is really up to you. You can make a contract stating to split the cost of a law suit or damage reimbursement with the agency as long as the assignment is through that agency.

Or, if you think it is worth the investment, and you will be a sole proprietor in the course of your career, you should have your own "malpractice insurance".

I hope this helps.
Good luck.

Jimi Law

Sunilda
Local time: 09:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank-you Feb 8, 2008

Hi Jimi,
This really helps. Since the firm is hiring me as a private vendor, I am required to have this insurance.
I spoke to one of the supervisors and explaind the issue of cost and he is emailing me a spread sheet with the amount of work I can possibly expect per month, and he says that he believes that the cost will probably be justified.
Thank-you to Proz.com as well for providing me this forum.
Suny

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting started as an interpreter

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search