Need Russian>English translation certificate in Toronto
Thread poster: _Stas_
_Stas_
Russian to English
Feb 18, 2008

Hello,

I would like to get a Russian>English translation certificate in Toronto, but so far I haven't been able to find anything suitable. University of Toronto doesn't offer these and York University only offers full BA programs in translation. I was told that Government of Canada offers these certificates but my search hasn't yielded anything. I was wondering if anyone knows how I could such a certificate (whether in Toronto or on-line) without spending years doing BA. Any suggestions are welcome.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:50
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Would you be looking for ... Feb 19, 2008

_Stas_ wrote:

I was told that Government of Canada offers these certificates but my search hasn't yielded anything. I was wondering if anyone knows how I could such a certificate (whether in Toronto or on-line) without spending years doing BA. Any suggestions are welcome.


... the government language mediation program? This is a program with a grassroots thrust and is based on local communities and regional governments. And while it isn't exactly classified as translation or interpretation, it does have certain community-oriented training programs handling language combinations not found in the usual translation schools. The places you can ask for information are community centres, municipal authorities and public libraries. Libraries tend to be active in recruitment because they presume a high interest in literacy among their "clients" -- in fact, language mediation training forms part of an international movement encouraged by UNESCO and being implemented by the IFLA. These institutions do not offer the training themselves, but are usually associated to the facility that does. You could also ask community health centres, because in Canada they are some of the principal beneficiaries.

This being a public sector effort, I'm not too sure what kind of "certificates" it issues. But yes, the concept is definitely related to private sector T&I schools.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:50
English to Russian
+ ...
how do you mean Feb 19, 2008

From what you wrote i got the idea that you are looking for an option to get a certificate without studying, based on your "spending years doing BA". Sound weird, as you can buy an educational credential without studying on the black market - Internet has thousands of such proposals.. No need to say that I am 100% against doing anything like that. Won't do any help but can make everything really bad.

Be sure that Government of Canada will not provide you with any.

What you can get from Canadian government in terms of certificates - you can take Public Service Commission tests in Canada's official languages - but mind that those are not easy and pretty specific. Use Google for PSC official site and browse for language testing. Check here: http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc/sle_main_e.htm

And it has nothing to do with translation but with a certain degree of language proficiency.

Another option - try to take local translators' association certification. It will be ATIO http://www.atio.on.ca/

Hope it helps.

_Stas_ wrote:
Hello,
I would like to get a Russian>English translation certificate in Toronto, but so far I haven't been able to find anything suitable. University of Toronto doesn't offer these and York University only offers full BA programs in translation. I was told that Government of Canada offers these certificates but my search hasn't yielded anything. I was wondering if anyone knows how I could such a certificate (whether in Toronto or on-line) without spending years doing BA. Any suggestions are welcome.


[Edited at 2008-02-19 03:26]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
_Stas_
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I wasn't clear in the first post Feb 24, 2008

Apologies for the late reply. Vladimir, I didn't make myself clear in the first post. I don't mean that I would like to get a certificate without any studying. I mean that I don't want to spend another four years doing a BA since I already have one. University of Toronto's School of Continuing Studies offers translation certificates that can be obtained in under two years. Unfortunately they don't offer one in Russian. So I was wondering if there is something else in Toronto where I could get one or if there is something on-line.

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

From what you wrote i got the idea that you are looking for an option to get a certificate without studying, based on your "spending years doing BA". Sound weird, as you can buy an educational credential without studying on the black market - Internet has thousands of such proposals.. No need to say that I am 100% against doing anything like that. Won't do any help but can make everything really bad.

Be sure that Government of Canada will not provide you with any.

What you can get from Canadian government in terms of certificates - you can take Public Service Commission tests in Canada's official languages - but mind that those are not easy and pretty specific. Use Google for PSC official site and browse for language testing. Check here: http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc/sle_main_e.htm

And it has nothing to do with translation but with a certain degree of language proficiency.

Another option - try to take local translators' association certification. It will be ATIO http://www.atio.on.ca/

Hope it helps.

_Stas_ wrote:
Hello,
I would like to get a Russian>English translation certificate in Toronto, but so far I haven't been able to find anything suitable. University of Toronto doesn't offer these and York University only offers full BA programs in translation. I was told that Government of Canada offers these certificates but my search hasn't yielded anything. I was wondering if anyone knows how I could such a certificate (whether in Toronto or on-line) without spending years doing BA. Any suggestions are welcome.


[Edited at 2008-02-19 03:26]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Online Resource with extensive listings Feb 25, 2008

Here is a website that has extensive listings on different language schools, and some of them offer online programs. I wish you luck in your search: http://www.ilovelanguages.com/index.php?category=Schools

Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need Russian>English translation certificate in Toronto

Advanced search







Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search