Extra charges
Thread poster: stephanieL
stephanieL
stephanieL
English to Italian
Mar 10, 2008

What amount should I charge if payment is not carried out within 30 days of my invoice?

Thank you.

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 13:20
English to Russian
+ ...
Advance agreement is necessary Mar 12, 2008

If you have not specified in advance that there would be late fees, I don't think it will be possible to charge them now.

And even if you did, it is still very difficult to collect.

I've been in this situation more than once. Usually, when the client is late with payment, a few phone calls do it. You have to be polite, but firm. Yes, I know, it's annoying, and utterly unfair to you. I can only offer you my sympathy.

In a few instances, I had to write a
... See more
If you have not specified in advance that there would be late fees, I don't think it will be possible to charge them now.

And even if you did, it is still very difficult to collect.

I've been in this situation more than once. Usually, when the client is late with payment, a few phone calls do it. You have to be polite, but firm. Yes, I know, it's annoying, and utterly unfair to you. I can only offer you my sympathy.

In a few instances, I had to write a letter. Again, "polite but firm" is the rule.

Only once I had to threaten to take the matter to court - fortunately, only to threaten, never actually do it.

Good luck,

Alexandra
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extra charges

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »