Off topic: Orthodox churches in Kalambaka
Thread poster: casey
casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:05
Japanese to English
Nov 16, 2008

My wife and I are going to visit Greece in December. We will be in Kalambaka on the Sunday that we are there, so I was wondering if anybody here knows of a Greek Orthodox church in Kalambaka that has evening services (in Greek--we don't speak Greek, but I want to experience what an actual Greek service is like). I'm sure we'll be able to find some place in the phonebook when we get there, but we may be pressed for time, so I thought I'd go ahead and start looking. Anyway, if anybody knows of any... See more
My wife and I are going to visit Greece in December. We will be in Kalambaka on the Sunday that we are there, so I was wondering if anybody here knows of a Greek Orthodox church in Kalambaka that has evening services (in Greek--we don't speak Greek, but I want to experience what an actual Greek service is like). I'm sure we'll be able to find some place in the phonebook when we get there, but we may be pressed for time, so I thought I'd go ahead and start looking. Anyway, if anybody knows of any churches, I'd be grateful.

[Edited at 2008-11-16 11:13 GMT]
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 13:05
English to Greek
+ ...
Try something more Greek... Nov 16, 2008

Dear Casey,

Correct me if I'm not well informed, however the protestant creed isn't very widespread in Greece, therefore I don't know how likely it is that you will find a protestant church for an evening service in a provincial town of a total population of 12.000 people.

You mention in your posting that you wish to "experience Greek service". Perhaps then you should consider visiting an Orthodox church on a Sunday, or on any day (or evening) of celebration (there are
... See more
Dear Casey,

Correct me if I'm not well informed, however the protestant creed isn't very widespread in Greece, therefore I don't know how likely it is that you will find a protestant church for an evening service in a provincial town of a total population of 12.000 people.

You mention in your posting that you wish to "experience Greek service". Perhaps then you should consider visiting an Orthodox church on a Sunday, or on any day (or evening) of celebration (there are many occasions in December). At a distance of approximately 20-30 minutes drive from Kalampaka there are the monasteries of the Meteora. You are bound to get some Orthodox feeling and experience much more than just a service there. The monasteries are open to both men and women, on the simple condition that the clothes should be respectful of the place (in particular, non-mini skirts for the ladies). Also, I would advise comfortable shoes.

Of course, you might not want to visit the Meteora, but then, you can surely find several Orthodox churches in Kalampaka town.

You can find more info here:
http://www.kalampaka.com/en/meteora/monasteries.asp

Best wishes,
E.

[Edited at 2008-11-16 11:04 GMT]
Collapse

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, I'm a little sleepy today :) Nov 16, 2008

Thanks for the information, Eleni. I actually meant Orthodox. I myself am protestant, but I am aware that the Greek Orthodox church is the main church in Greece. That's exactly where I wanted to go.

I edited the original post.

[Edited at 2008-11-16 11:14 GMT]

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Re: Nov 16, 2008

Ok, it makes more sense now

I myself visited Kalampaka and the Meteora a few years ago, in the summer, while on a cultural group trip. I stayed at Hotel Meteora in Kalampaka, with an impressive view over the rocks, and moved around in a coach. The road to Meteora is somewhat steep, but I remember that it was good enough, even for a coach. The trip to the monasteries lasts about 20-30 minutes.

I visited t
... See more
Ok, it makes more sense now

I myself visited Kalampaka and the Meteora a few years ago, in the summer, while on a cultural group trip. I stayed at Hotel Meteora in Kalampaka, with an impressive view over the rocks, and moved around in a coach. The road to Meteora is somewhat steep, but I remember that it was good enough, even for a coach. The trip to the monasteries lasts about 20-30 minutes.

I visited the monastery of the Great Meteoro, which, besides its strictly religious role, is also the home to several traditional every-day use items, it has got a collection of ancient icons and heirlooms (as the monasteries were particularly prosperous in the Byzantine and post-Byzantine years). The monk who received us and showed us around the place was, I dare say, the best guide I've ever had, with remarkable knowledge of the place, friendliness and openness to comments and questions. Then, I visited the women's monastery of Saint Stephen, which celebrates on December 27, which was also a very impressive place, though to a lesser degree than the Great Meteoro. Just, bear in mind that your wife will have to wear a skirt, at least up to the knee (she can also wear trousers, but then the monks will provide her with a skirt to wear on top of her own clothes), and that you will need to have comfortable shoes, as the place is very old and you will most probably have to walk on narrow paths and stairs.

I wish you to have a great time and I hope that the weather will be good enough to allow you to do all that you wish.

Best regards,
Eleni
Collapse

Assimina Vavoula
Assimina Vavoula
Greece
Member (2005)
French to Greek
+ ...
some more info Dec 3, 2008

You can visit:
http://www.kalampaka.com/en/content/index.asp
... See more
You can visit:
http://www.kalampaka.com/en/content/index.asp
http://www.meteorakalambaka.com/
http://www.greeklandscapes.com/greece/kalambaka.html
http://www.meteora-greece.com/
Regards,
Mina
Collapse

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Assimina! Dec 4, 2008

I appreciate it.

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, again. Jan 5, 2009

We had a great trip to Greece. We even got to see an Orthodox service (we ended up being in Athens on the Sunday we were there) at a church near our hotel. It rained a lot, so next time I want to go in the summer!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Orthodox churches in Kalambaka

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »