Thread poster: Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
United States
Local time: 15:52
English
Feb 6, 2006

Hello forum goers,

I've recently converted this forum to using Unciode as the default character set. There is no need to change your browser's default encoding, it should recognize the page's character set automatically.

You will, however, notice that older posts may not currently be legible. If you view these posts you will see a link reading "Is the text in this post garbled? Click here", or an icon of a speech bubble containing a question mark. Clicking either of th
... See more
Hello forum goers,

I've recently converted this forum to using Unciode as the default character set. There is no need to change your browser's default encoding, it should recognize the page's character set automatically.

You will, however, notice that older posts may not currently be legible. If you view these posts you will see a link reading "Is the text in this post garbled? Click here", or an icon of a speech bubble containing a question mark. Clicking either of these will bring you to a dailgue that will ask you a few questions to determine how to convert that post into Unicode.

For more information on Unicode, see the recently revised Character Set and Localization FAQ:

http://www.proz.com/faq/localization

For more information on the conversion tool see the about page:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=charset_issues

If there is anything else that is not fully explained, please let me know.

Andrew Wright
Site Staff
Collapse

Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Update Feb 7, 2006

Hello again,

I have just put into production a system in this forum that attempts to convert all the non-Unicode forum posts into Unicode. It looks alright, but I don't actually speak any Greek so I can't tell if all the posts and topics are legible. Let me know immediately if I totally messed anything up.

Assuming I didn't bungle anything here, most posts should be ok. Any posts that were made in a non-standard encoding will probably not be detected correctly and wi
... See more
Hello again,

I have just put into production a system in this forum that attempts to convert all the non-Unicode forum posts into Unicode. It looks alright, but I don't actually speak any Greek so I can't tell if all the posts and topics are legible. Let me know immediately if I totally messed anything up.

Assuming I didn't bungle anything here, most posts should be ok. Any posts that were made in a non-standard encoding will probably not be detected correctly and will look garbled. The converting tool will still work on these, so you can still fix any incorrect posts.

Hopefully this works out, but just in case I will be checking in a few times later tonight.

Andrew Wright
Collapse

Calliope Sofianopoulos (X)
Calliope Sofianopoulos (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 05:52
Greek to English
+ ...
Everything looks ok Feb 7, 2006

Andrew Wright wrote:

It looks alright, but I don't actually speak any Greek so I can't tell if all the posts and topics are legible. Let me know immediately if I totally messed anything up.

Assuming I didn't bungle anything here, most posts should be ok.

Andrew Wright

It seems ok in the posts I checked.

Thanks.

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
τεστ Feb 8, 2006

test editing
τεστάκι
----

[Edited at 2006-02-08 00:42]

Maria Karra
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
one small issue Feb 8, 2006

Andrew, when I try to Edit the title in someone else's post, the text is garbled (all question marks). I can edit my own posts though.
Maria

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 22:52
English to Greek
+ ...
Seems OK to me Feb 8, 2006

At least from this end

Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Addition to the system Feb 9, 2006

Hello again,

Just now I've added a new feature to the system to the migration system.

At the moment what is happening in this forum is that old data is being pulled from the database but converted to unicode before it is sent to your browser for display. This is nice, because most older posts remain visible. However, the down side to this approach is that old data remains in non-unicode format in the database which means that it will not match a search if the search
... See more
Hello again,

Just now I've added a new feature to the system to the migration system.

At the moment what is happening in this forum is that old data is being pulled from the database but converted to unicode before it is sent to your browser for display. This is nice, because most older posts remain visible. However, the down side to this approach is that old data remains in non-unicode format in the database which means that it will not match a search if the search is done in unicode.

So we needed a way to tell the system that the posts that are automatically converted correctly are legible. But we also didn't want to make this process tedious for whoever was doing it.

So today I've added a link that goes next to the "Is this text garbled?" link that reads "Is the text in this post legible?". Clicking this link will use Javascript to let the conversion system that the automatic conversion was correct, but thanks to the Javascript the user won't actually have to leave the page they are viewing to do it.

If clicking on the link generates any errors on the page, please copy the error and post it in this topic or email it directly to me.

Thanks,
Andrew Wright
Collapse

Maria Nicholas (X)
Maria Nicholas (X)  Identity Verified
Greek to English
+ ...
Everything is garbled! Feb 12, 2006

I'm sorry but everything is garbled, and I don't see any links under the posts to fix it ...

Disappointed,
Maria

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 22:52
English to Greek
+ ...
TESTING GREEK Feb 13, 2006

Καλημέρα σε όλους, για να δούμε αν διαβάζεται

Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Need some info Feb 14, 2006

Maria Nicholas wrote:

I'm sorry but everything is garbled, and I don't see any links under the posts to fix it ...

Disappointed,
Maria

Maria,

What browser and operating system are you using?

Andrew Wright

Maria Nicholas (X)
Greek to English
+ ...
Platform/OS Feb 15, 2006

Hi Andrew,

I'm on a Mac running OS 10.4.4, using Safari and/or Firefox. I have the Greek keyboard layout installed, and Unicode fonts. I have been using the same system for years and have never had a problem in any application.

Why is Proz making this change now if things were fine before? It seems a bit of an unnecessary inconvenience ...

Thanks a lot for your help,
Maria

Maria Karra
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
To Maria: why the change Feb 15, 2006

Maria Nicholas wrote:
Why is Proz making this change now if things were fine before? It seems a bit of an unnecessary inconvenience ...

Hi Maria,
Things weren't fine before. One example I can think of is the French-Greek KudoZ pair: by switching to Unicode we'll be able to see that part of the question that's written in French as well as that in Greek. Currently we switch to Greek encoding (manually, i.e. from our browser's View menu) to see the Greek part, and to Western to see the French part. It's quite annoying.
It's probably easier to users to have everything in one encoding, including KudoZ and Forums (less switching back and forth between encodings, consistency among proz pages).
There may be additional reasons that I'm not aware of.
Maria

Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Double check it is using the right character set Feb 15, 2006

Maria Nicholas wrote:

Hi Andrew,

I'm on a Mac running OS 10.4.4, using Safari and/or Firefox. I have the Greek keyboard layout installed, and Unicode fonts. I have been using the same system for years and have never had a problem in any application.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Maria

Thanks for the info Maria,

Can you double check that your browsers are correctly reading the character set specified in the HTML headers? I don't have a Mac to test this on or I would test it myself.

Andrew Wright

Maria Nicholas (X)
Greek to English
+ ...
I didn't have to switch endoging Feb 17, 2006

Hi, sorry, I haven't been able to get on to Proz too often this past week, but for what it's worth, I saw Western characters just fine with Greek encoding applied. I don't know about problems in other language combos. I can only share with you what I see in the GreekEnglish combo. All of the posts here look like jibberish, unfortunately, whether there is Western or Greek encoding applied.

Maria Nicholas (X)
Greek to English
+ ...
Ένα τεστ Feb 17, 2006

Προσπαθώ να διαπιστώσω εάν μπορώ να γράψω με Ελληνικούς χαρακτήρες ...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Announcing migration to Unicode

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »