Özgür Salman
Özgür Salman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:52
English to Turkish
+ ...

May 27, 2008

Hi,

I need to buy a new keyboard. Since I am a touch typist, I'm trying to make the most suitable choice for my long working hours.

I know all about the Kinesis keyboards and other brands but I only have two options where I live:

1- Microsoft Natural Keyboard

2- Logitech Wave

2- Logitech Wave

I've heard very good things about Logitech Wave but the people who used them weren't touch typists. The left and right parts aren't seperated as in Microsoft Natural Keyboard, but every key has a different hight, angle and softness level (this one I'm not sure).

On the other hand, Microsoft Natural keyboards have a very nice angle between the left and right parts so you can place your hands very comfortably. It also looks like it's primarily designed for touch typists and you can type for a very long time by means of the special design.

Which one would you guys recommend for touch typing, did you have experiences with any of these keyboards?

Thanks in advance,
Cryo
Collapse

Saturniana
Saturniana  Identity Verified
English to Romanian
+ ...
Go for Microsoft May 27, 2008

From my experience as a touch typist I would say go for Microsoft as it is easier on your wrists because of the position of the keys. I have an older Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard at home, haven't tried the Logitech, though.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Microsoft, too May 27, 2008

I'd recommend Microsoft, too. It's really practical, because of the position of the wrists. Also, I love the shortcut keys. I have the wireless package, which comes with a really convenient mouse and keeps my desk neat, without extra cables.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:52
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Definitely Logitech Cordless Desktop Comfort Laser May 27, 2008

Definitely. We have been using the same keyboards for 4 years now, and honestly its only defect is that it runs on batteries. Other than that, it is simply perfect. Unfortunately they don't sell the current edition with a Spanish layout in Spain (they do in Mexico though), so we are sticking to our current units which still work nicely after 4 years of use.

I must say that this Cordle
... See more
Definitely. We have been using the same keyboards for 4 years now, and honestly its only defect is that it runs on batteries. Other than that, it is simply perfect. Unfortunately they don't sell the current edition with a Spanish layout in Spain (they do in Mexico though), so we are sticking to our current units which still work nicely after 4 years of use.

I must say that this Cordless Desktop Comfort (you can find it easily in www.logitech.com) is really far more ergonomic than the Microsof models, which are little more than a "molten-down" conventional keyboard. In the Logitech keyboard, the keys are split and you have a lot more space than in the models you suggested. Your arms are far more parallel, with your wrists completely straight. I type (a lot!) some 10-11 hours a day, and never had any discomfort with this keyboard for 5 years!

Before this model, we used good old Microsoft's Natural Keyboard, whose keys quickly got hard and clumsy. With the Logitech keyboard they keys work perfectly and still feel comfortable after years of use.

About the batteries, they keyboard and mouse run on AA batteries. With a 10-11 hours of use every day, 5-6 days a week, the batteries of the keyboard last about 3 months, and the ones of the month about 1,5-2 months. So prepare to include rechargeable batteries and a battery charger in the budget.

Before making a decision which can impact your health, I would try to find and feel this Logitech model in a local shop so that you can see what I mean. Don't be scared of the split design: you will be used to it in 2 hours!!
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 May 27, 2008

I am a touch typist, I have been using Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 - the one that is on your picture - for about a year and I am quite happy with it. I got used to it very quickly. I don't use the special silver keys (except for "Calculator"), because I never needed them. The Zoom button in the middle is useless, because it gets stuck (probably just on my keyboard) and the document zooms out to a tiny size very quickly. But the main keys are fine. The layout is better that the conv... See more
I am a touch typist, I have been using Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 - the one that is on your picture - for about a year and I am quite happy with it. I got used to it very quickly. I don't use the special silver keys (except for "Calculator"), because I never needed them. The Zoom button in the middle is useless, because it gets stuck (probably just on my keyboard) and the document zooms out to a tiny size very quickly. But the main keys are fine. The layout is better that the conventional one, because your wrists are straight.

I have never tried Logitech, so I can't say anything about it. But I think it would be very hard for me to get used to the different layout of the Insert/Home/Delete/End/PgUp/PgDn keys.

I am afraid everybody has a different preference and you will have to try the keyboards for yourself.
Collapse

RNAtranslator
RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
What about this one? May 28, 2008

For me, the worst problem is is the forced pronation, and for that problem Microsoft's and others like that are useless.

If I could afford it, I would buy this one: http://safetype.com/index.asp

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Are they available in the F layout? May 28, 2008

Hi Cryo,

Sorry for jumping in with a counter-question, but I had to ask: are these two keyboards -both or either- also available in the F layout for Turkish?

Good luck, by the way

Ö

Özgür Salman
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
No F layout May 28, 2008

Özden Arıkan wrote:
jumping in with a counter-question

How dare you hijack my thread LOL

As far as I know, there is no F layout for these (kinds of) fancy keyboards (i never saw one) but it might be good to ask Microsoft Turkey and Logitech Turkey just to make sure, IMHO.

Good luck to you, too

Cryo Ceniksoğlu

Özgür Salman
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 29, 2008

Thanks all for helping me out on that. I think I'm going to give Microsoft Natural Keyboard a shot.

Cheers

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Keyboard for a touch typist

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »