technical question: which scanner-printer-fax (all in one) is the best?
Thread poster: Sophie Thereau (X)
Sophie Thereau (X)
Sophie Thereau (X)
France
Local time: 07:37
English to French
Mar 21, 2009

Hello,

I'm going to start a freelance translation activity soon, and need help on a hardware issue: which scanner-printer-fax (all in one) is the most reliable, easiest to use and maintain and shows the best quality/price ratio?

Many thanks

Sebastien Thereau

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-22 17:40 GMT]

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 08:37
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Try cnet.com Mar 22, 2009

You can do some comparison shopping for "multi-function printers" on cnet.com or computershopper.com. For example, you can start from the following link and narrow your search based on your price range:

http://reviews.cnet.com/1770-7896_7-0.html?query=multi-function%20printers&searchtype=products&tag=ltcol;narrow
... See more
You can do some comparison shopping for "multi-function printers" on cnet.com or computershopper.com. For example, you can start from the following link and narrow your search based on your price range:

http://reviews.cnet.com/1770-7896_7-0.html?query=multi-function%20printers&searchtype=products&tag=ltcol;narrow

[Edited at 2009-03-22 18:35 GMT]
Collapse

Sophie Thereau (X)
Sophie Thereau (X)
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
ok Mar 22, 2009

Thanks !

Sebastien

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:37
English to Russian
+ ...
I recently bought.. Mar 22, 2009

a very affordable (well, in the US) HP LaserJet M1319f MFP and am quite happy with it. However you cannot scan things like ID cards or hard-cover documents but only photos and paper docs inserted vertically. As a scanner it is quite good and goes with user-friendly software. The printing quality is also good.

I realized I don't need the fax function with the scanning option and now send everything as scanned images - works ok.

Good luck shopping

PS
... See more
a very affordable (well, in the US) HP LaserJet M1319f MFP and am quite happy with it. However you cannot scan things like ID cards or hard-cover documents but only photos and paper docs inserted vertically. As a scanner it is quite good and goes with user-friendly software. The printing quality is also good.

I realized I don't need the fax function with the scanning option and now send everything as scanned images - works ok.

Good luck shopping

PS
Remember to check the compatibility of your Windows version (my Vista did not want to have anything to do with an expensive Sharp printer/scanner/copier I still have). Sharp customer support explained that they do not have drivers for Windows Vista.

[Edited at 2009-03-22 20:15 GMT]
Collapse

Sophie Thereau (X)
Sophie Thereau (X)
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
no pb Mar 22, 2009

Thanks for your contribution. The O.S compatibility is the first thing I check.

Sebastien

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:37
Portuguese to English
+ ...
HP Mar 23, 2009

I prefer the HP over the Canon because you only buy two printer cartridges and not separate ones for each color. I've had a couple of HP all-in-one's and they've been fine.

Boris Kimel
Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
Consider separate devices Mar 23, 2009

As someone mentioned elsewhere (maybe even here on proz.com), if such all-in-one device goes kaput, there is no scanner, no printer and no fax anymore.

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Depends on your needs Mar 24, 2009

The first question that I would have asked myself is what are my needs. If you only require black and white printouts than I would recommend a laser printer with a scanner, or without one (and buy a separate scanner).
If you are a "heavy" printer, costs should be taken in to consideration and than am assembly of laser printer, and a separate scanner (and maybe even an additional cheap color printer for the occasional color printout need) might be the best choice.
Also, there are dif
... See more
The first question that I would have asked myself is what are my needs. If you only require black and white printouts than I would recommend a laser printer with a scanner, or without one (and buy a separate scanner).
If you are a "heavy" printer, costs should be taken in to consideration and than am assembly of laser printer, and a separate scanner (and maybe even an additional cheap color printer for the occasional color printout need) might be the best choice.
Also, there are different quality of machines - not necessarily in the print or scan quality (since for a regular office use most will be suffice) - but rather in the built quality of the machine. A little more expensive AIO machines have a paper feeder, some can print automatically on both sides of a page, etc. I think that the paper feeder is a must have feature for an office use, it saves time and a lot of effort.
I now own HP's photosmart C7280 which is great (but a bit expensive), you can buy similar device with the same basic features (card reader, paper feeder, etc.) from the officejet brand for a little less money.
You also need to consider the durability of the machine. The cheap AIO devices are good for home use, under office workload (even small or home office) they might fail after a year or sooner (but not necessarily). The next level of machines (e.g HP's officejet series) is more durable and long lasting. I owned two AIO devices from HP so this is what I know, I'm sure that other brands have similar great devices.
So to conclude, I would recommend you to consider:
1) costs
2) use (heavy printer or not, scan a lot of documents or not, etc.)
After determining that, search for the best device that fits your needs.
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes, you are right... Mar 24, 2009

Boris Kimel wrote:

As someone mentioned elsewhere (maybe even here on proz.com), if such all-in-one device goes kaput, there is no scanner, no printer and no fax anymore.

... but in the meantime, you have a scanner, a printer, maybe o photocopier and a fax around

This was the main reason why I always had all-in-one devices. I have now the second one; both were HP and I have been very satisfied. The customer service (which I needed only for the installation of the second one) is also good but the manual, very detailed, seems sometimes quite cryptical

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

technical question: which scanner-printer-fax (all in one) is the best?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »