Notebooks with Dual View ?
Thread poster: Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:44
English to German
+ ...
Jul 2, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I want to buy a new laptop. Now I am working with an external monitor to extend the desktop area and I want to continue like this. How can I be sure that the grapic card of a given laptop is capable of dual view. Sometimes it's written in the specifications but sometimes not. Or nowadadays every graphic card ist capable to do this?

How to know for example if ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 does the dual view.

Thanks in advance

Noe

Direct link Reply with quote

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 05:44
English to Greek
+ ...
Well, I'm not an expert... Jul 2, 2009

... but I would say that if a laptop has an external monitor connection port, then it should do the job. Of course, someone who knows better about these things could correct me...

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:44
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
I believe that all recent models Jul 2, 2009

are capable of dual view I haven't met yet notebook made after 2007 which does not offer this option.

BR
S

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
external monitor connection port is not enough Jul 2, 2009

Eleni Makantani wrote:

... but I would say that if a laptop has an external monitor connection port, then it should do the job.

Actually it is not enough because old laptops offered the same picture on both laptop's and external monitor - i.e. there was no possibility to "extend" the screen onto another monitor but I believe that all new models offer this option.

BR
S

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
All modern stuff.. Jul 2, 2009

Noe Tessmann wrote:

I want to buy a new laptop. Now I am working with an external monitor to extend the desktop area and I want to continue like this. How can I be sure that the grapic card of a given laptop is capable of dual view. Sometimes it's written in the specifications but sometimes not. Or nowadadays every graphic card ist capable to do this?

IMHO all modern notebook chipsets/graphic cards can do.
"Modern"states for at least 5-6 years.

How to know for example if ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 does the dual view.

http://ati.amd.com/products/mobilityradeonhd4500/specs.html

Drive two displays simultaneously with independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls and video overlays for each display

Cheers
GG

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for info Jul 2, 2009

Hello Grzegorz, Stanislaw and Eleni,

thanks for your fast und helpful answers. I just looked through the ATI website searching for the key word dual view, so I didn't find it.

I also think that more or less every modern laptop should be capable but I wanted to be sure. Returning a PC is maybe not so easy.

Have a nice summer

Noe

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Clone display... Jul 2, 2009

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

Eleni Makantani wrote:

... but I would say that if a laptop has an external monitor connection port, then it should do the job.

Actually it is not enough because old laptops offered the same picture on both laptop's and external monitor - i.e. there was no possibility to "extend" the screen onto another monitor

True.
My "jurassic" Toshiba Tecra CDT550 (manufactured in 1995 or 1996 AFAIR) can only clone the display.

but I believe that all new models offer this option.

Yep.
Even the cheapest ones 'cause a dual dicplay capable graphic controller is already integrated in the motherboad chipset (at least, for the Intel based ones, the AMD use bundled ATI Radeon chip (ATI was purchased by AMD few years ago)).

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-07-02 08:55 GMT]

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Just make sure ... Jul 2, 2009

... that the operating system and graphics driver in the new computer supports multiple monitors. Half the function is after all performed by the software.

Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Good to know Jul 2, 2009

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

Actually it is not enough because old laptops offered the same picture on both laptop's and external monitor - i.e. there was no possibility to "extend" the screen onto another monitor but I believe that all new models offer this option.

Ok, this is good to know. I bought my old laptop in 2004 (an Acer machine) and it didn't have a connection port. My current laptop is also Acer, I have had it for less than a year, is has got a connection port and it supports dual monitor extension very well.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
misc Jul 2, 2009

Noe Tessmann wrote:

Hello Grzegorz, Stanislaw and Eleni,

thanks for your fast und helpful answers. I just looked through the ATI website searching for the key word dual view, so I didn't find it.

Well, that would be because it's not really called dual view.
Having the same image in both screens is cloning (cloned display) and having different content on several screens is usually called "extended desktop" functionality.
Intel's X3100 integrated graphics chip (and driver), which tends to be in every low-to-medium priced laptop, supports extended desktop, as does pretty much every other graphics solution in laptops today. If it has a VGA port, it's safe to assume it does extended desktop.

Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ask for a demonstration; download manual Jul 2, 2009

And clarify your doubts that way.

I'm sorry, but I still can not buy my computers mail order, or in a supermarket.

Presently, I'm looking for a notebook that will allow me to use 2 large external monitors, even if I have to use a docking station, and naturally I will require my reseller to demonstrate the notebook performing that way.
( I regard the notbook's screen as something I'll have to leave with only when I'm away from the office, performing minor tasks.)

Anyway, just about any notebook with a an external VGA port should be able to what you like, either it's called Dual View or not.
Try downloading the .pdf user manual of the notebook you have in mind from the vendor's website and look for the section where it's suppose to explain how to activate it.

Goo luck,
Jose

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
local business or internet - choice or no choice Jul 2, 2009

Jose Ruivo wrote:

And clarify your doubts that way.

I'm sorry, but I still can not buy my computers mail order, or in a supermarket.

Goo luck,
Jose

Obrigado Jose,

I want to buy a brand new model, which is now available on the internet. I asked a local shop if he can order it for me. He tried but it seems that this model is just available in France and officially not in Belgium. Frontiers still exist for resellers but not on the internet. He showed me another laptop which was ordered by mistake by a customer and the whole-seller didn't want to take it back. There's no way to try before buy.

Regards

Noe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Notebooks with Dual View ?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search