multiple monitors: connected but how to open a Word doc on the second monitor
Thread poster: Patricia Rosas

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 14, 2009

I just discovered how easy it is to add my old monitor to the laptop I got last summer! But ...

Initially, the 2nd monitor mirrored the laptop monitor. In the display control box, I checked the "extend desktop onto 2nd monitor". That put my wallpaper on the 2nd monitor but there were no icons and there was no way to use my mouse on it.

I went back to the first configuration, but now the 2nd monitor goes to sleep and can't wake it up.

I've done some reading, but can't find the answers to these questions:

1) How do I open a Word document on the second monitor?
2) Once it is open, will I be able to use my mouse to move about it in it?
3) Any ideas on how to get the monitor to wake up?

Thanks!
Patricia

Direct link Reply with quote

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:00
English to Russian
+ ...
lean context Oct 14, 2009

lean context...
not enough context...

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:00
Spanish
+ ...
Depending on your system Oct 14, 2009

Sergei is right, it depends on your system. You need to go to the Graphic Settings either in Control Panel or from the monitor UI, and set it up from there. You can configure the position of the monitors, their size, resolution, etc.

To always open a Word document in the second monitor, move the application to that second monitor and close it. That does it, at least in my computer.

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm not sure I understand... Oct 14, 2009

Sergei,

Are you asking me for more information? I'm not sure what to say. I'm running Windows Vista. I'm hoping someone who runs dual monitors can tell me what to so that I can open a Word document on the 2nd monitor.

I just rebooted everything, leaving the 2nd monitor unplugged, but when I plugged it back in, the same thing happens: rather than mirroring the laptop, it goes to sleep, unless I click the "extend the desk top to the 2nd monitor". When I choose that option, the desktop (without icons--just the wallpaper) appears on the 2nd monitor.

Thanks,
Patricia

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
are the graphics settings the same as the display settings? Oct 14, 2009

Hi, Claudia:

My apologies for being so confused! I did open the "display" control box in the "personalization" part of the control panel. Is that the one you are referring to?

There are 2 options: "this is my main monitor" and "extend the desktop onto this monitor". Under advanced settings, when I go to "monitor" it says it is working, and when I go to "troubleshoot," the button to run "change settings" is greyed out and won't respond when clicked.

On your system, how do you move the application to the second monitor? (And are you running on Vista?) That's maybe my biggest question. I mean there's no way to do anything on it since the mouse only works on laptop.

Again, sorry for being a techno-dolt!

Patricia

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:00
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
did you set up the positions of your monitors? Oct 14, 2009

If you "extended" your desktop, you should be able to move your mouse into the other screen. I am only guessing, but perhaps you didn't specify the positions of your monitors. Maybe the reason you couldn't move your cursor into the other screen was because you were moving it in the wrong direction. If you haven't done this already, try "extending" your desktop again and try to move the cursor out of the screen on the other side.

Your questions:

1. You open the document on your main screen and then drag the window over to the other screen.
2. Yes
3. "Extend" your desktop again and make sure you specify the correction positions of your monitors. You can grab the little monitors and move them into their right positions.

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you! Oct 14, 2009

Lutz Molderings wrote:

1. You open the document on your main screen and then drag the window over to the other screen.
2. Yes
3. "Extend" your desktop again and make sure you specify the correction positions of your monitors. You can grab the little monitors and move them into their right positions.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

Before I saw your post, I found the place where you can specify which side the monitor is on, and then I had it mirroring the laptop. I just went back and chose "extend" and then I dragged my document over there!

I'm so excited it's working!!

I appreciate the help Lutz, Claudia, and Sergei!!

Patricia

suraj jaiswal
India
Local time: 04:30
English to French
+ ...
Drag MS-Word to extended monitor use mouse Oct 15, 2009

It's is very simple, set second monitor as extended monitor. than restore down MS-word windows using corner minimise/maximize button, than drag ms-word windows to extended monitor.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:00
Swedish to English
+ ...
Thanks for starting this thread Patricia Oct 15, 2009

Although I know how to set up my monitors, it made me think about how to organise them.

I've got a MB Pro with a 13" widescreen + a 19" widescreen (moveable/turnable?) monitor. Previously I kept the 2nd monitor in landscape position, but after reading this thread last night I decided to turn the secondary monitor around to portrait position. As I use this monitor as my main display when working from home, and paper docs generally are portrait, this seems to be a much better set up.

Makes more sense when working with documents. It also appears to work fine with most web content (except this page).

Another upside is that the "long side" of my Mac screen seems to almost exactly correspond to the "short side" of the larger screen.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

multiple monitors: connected but how to open a Word doc on the second monitor

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search