Using a 32" TV as a monitor. Is it ergonomic/healthy?
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:01
Spanish
+ ...
Sep 12, 2011

I'm thinking of replacing my 2 monitors (24" and 19") with a 32-inch HD TV. My main concern is how ergonomic such a large display might be. I currently keep both of my monitors in a less-than-180-degree angle so I have a better view of the screen, but obviously that wouldn't be possible with a single large display.

I'm also concern about using a TV as a computer display since TVs are much more brighter than monitors.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

FYI. I'd be using the TV mostly to work but I'd like to watch the occasional movie since I don't have a TV.

[Edited at 2011-09-12 10:03 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:01
Polish to English
+ ...
32" Sep 12, 2011

A really large display. I guess that you may need to increase the distance from your eyes to the new monitor.
As to the brightness: you can either increase, or decrease the display brightness to adjust to your eyes.
Only tests by yourself will provide you a basis for decision.

AM


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:01
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dot pitch Sep 12, 2011

Claudia Alvis wrote:
I'm thinking of replacing my 2 monitors (24" and 19") with a 32-inch HD TV.


We tend to sit a lot closer to a computer screen than to a television, so it doesn't matter that much if the television's pixel densitiy is low (as long as the screen is large), but pixel densitiy does matter if you're going to sit really close to the screen.

A 32" HD screen has a dot pitch of 0.369 mm (i.e. the individual pixels of the same colour are 1/3 mm apart, which is quite hazy, unless you're sitting 2-3 m away. Compare that to a 22" Full HD computer monitor, whose dot pitch is 0.254 mm, which is much clearer when viewed close-up.

http://members.ping.de/~sven/dpi.html



[Edited at 2011-09-12 10:18 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

MartinPorto  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:01
French to English
+ ...
Multi monitors rule! Sep 12, 2011

Another thing to consider is, do you wear glasses?
I have three 19" monitors running on the same PC, loads of space to work, the advantage is if I am not doing much, I only need to switch on the monitors I need, saving electricity! Glasses! I get the impression lots of translators wear them. I had my 3 monitors on the wall, it became a real pain having to lurch forward and backwards to get into focus, yes, think about it! Now I have the 3 in this configuration, the main monitor is flat in front of me, the 2 others are at angles such that just turning my head slightly they are square to my line of vision, and the same distance as the centre one, its a great setup, no eyestrain, no lurching about, and flexibility in how many are switched on depending on my needs, my advice to anyone would be a multi monitor setup!
Most graphics cards these days can handle 2 monitors (dual head), some like the Matrox I have installed at the moment can run 4 monitors, and in fact have used all 4, but that is a bit over the top! now the fourth monitor is on the other second PC on the other side of the right angled desk, but that is mainly for the second PC which has 2 monitors, it can be added as the fourth just by selecting the input source, a cable from each PC goes to that monitor. That is mega flexibility!!!
Apart from the side to side movement of your head, a 32" TV would mean up and down a lot also, to be considered.
I can imagine your head moving around like one of those dogs you used to see on rear parcel shelves of cars (if your old enough to remember them)!

[Edited at 2011-09-12 12:04 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:01
German to Spanish
Yes Sep 12, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Claudia Alvis wrote:
I'm thinking of replacing my 2 monitors (24" and 19") with a 32-inch HD TV.


We tend to sit a lot closer to a computer screen than to a television, so it doesn't matter that much if the television's pixel densitiy is low (as long as the screen is large), but pixel densitiy does matter if you're going to sit really close to the screen.

A 32" HD screen has a dot pitch of 0.369 mm (i.e. the individual pixels of the same colour are 1/3 mm apart, which is quite hazy, unless you're sitting 2-3 m away. Compare that to a 22" Full HD computer monitor, whose dot pitch is 0.254 mm, which is much clearer when viewed close-up.

http://members.ping.de/~sven/dpi.html



[Edited at 2011-09-12 10:18 GMT]


For writing purpose the resolution of a TV is not good enough.

Your 24" has a lot space... If you need a bigger one. Just buy a 27" (Dell, Apple, etc.) But if you dont work with images, I think 24" is fine...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

MartinPorto  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:01
French to English
+ ...
Recent Quick poll Sep 12, 2011

In a recent quick poll, one of the questions put was: how many monitors do you use?

Amazingly the answer for the majority was 1!

If you have the means and the possibility to add a second monitor, I would really recommend it, the extra workspace is so useful, Trados (studio) can be split up and those windows put on the second monitor, but also, source text, web browser, dictionaries etc.

Multi Monitors Rule!

[Edited at 2011-09-12 12:09 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:01
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
distance Sep 12, 2011

My normal set-up is my 15" laptop display plus a 20" monitor. As Martin says, two monitors are excellent for having a CAT on one screen/ browser on the other, source language on one/target in the other, PDF on one/Word on the other, etc. etc.

The other day I plugged my laptop into our Sony 32" HD-ready TV to watch the US Open through EuroSport (on-line here in Spain).

Afterwards I thought I'd do some work to see how it felt on the 32" screen, and I found it hard. The resolution wasn't as good as on my computer monitors and I felt I was simply miles away from the screen.
Impressive as it looked, I soon went back to my normal set-up.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

MartinPorto  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:01
French to English
+ ...
2 is better than 1 Sep 12, 2011

That is another advantage with multiple monitors, it's a backup, reliable as things are these days, things do still go wrong, if in the case of just a monitor, just carry on working, I am a bit of a fanatic when it comes to two or more of everything, two PCs setup almost the same, Trados Studio on both, both setup with the same directroy structures etc, both machines backup to one another, so in theory, the worst cant happen, friends and colleagues, tell me I am a geek, that my office looks like starship enterprise, multiple printers, computers, gateways, just about everything is doubled up!

Now that could breed another discussion about backups in general!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:01
German to Spanish
I also Sep 12, 2011

MartinPorto wrote:

That is another advantage with multiple monitors, it's a backup, reliable as things are these days, things do still go wrong, if in the case of just a monitor, just carry on working, I am a bit of a fanatic when it comes to two or more of everything, two PCs setup almost the same, Trados Studio on both, both setup with the same directroy structures etc, both machines backup to one another, so in theory, the worst cant happen, friends and colleagues, tell me I am a geek, that my office looks like starship enterprise, multiple printers, computers, gateways, just about everything is doubled up!

Now that could breed another discussion about backups in general!


did like this...

Now

1 Monitor
with Space (Mac OSX) I configured different desktops (just Ctrl + arrow to move in) –anyway, you can not see 2 things at the same time–, it is the same to move your eyes to another place or to move the desktop.

No Backup
Synchronizing real time (Dropbox + SugarSync) in all devices.

If my laptop broke in the middle of a translation. I can continue without lost with any computer, anywhere or I could send the file with the fone (also synchronized) to a colleague if I can not continue.

And back to the monitors... If you need/want it big... iMac (27") and make your workplace a nice place to stay. You need it bigger? with airplay you can see your desktop in the 42" TV

And no, I get nor money from Apple...


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using a 32" TV as a monitor. Is it ergonomic/healthy?

Advanced search






Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search