Suggestions for ergonomic (vertical) mouse
Thread poster: Koen Speetjens (X)
Koen Speetjens (X)
Koen Speetjens (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:31
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 12, 2014

I've been using this vertical mouse http://tinyurl.com/pdkggsu, which I was very satisfied with. The working position is very natural and my aching arm got better within days/weeks. The only thing I did miss was the usual scrolling wheel. And now it's acting very unstable so I think it's time for a new one.

Do you have any suggestions for ergonomic mouses? I was looking at the Evoluent Vertical M
... See more
I've been using this vertical mouse http://tinyurl.com/pdkggsu, which I was very satisfied with. The working position is very natural and my aching arm got better within days/weeks. The only thing I did miss was the usual scrolling wheel. And now it's acting very unstable so I think it's time for a new one.

Do you have any suggestions for ergonomic mouses? I was looking at the Evoluent Vertical Mouse, but some say it's too small for people with large hands (like me...)
Budget< EUR 100 (approx)

Thanks!
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Cleaning the mouse? Jan 12, 2014

Koen Speetjens wrote:

And now it's acting very unstable so I think it's time for a new one.

Is it an optical mouse? If not, just clean it. Open it carefully and remove any dust around the ball and at the tiny wheels. A vacuum cleaner may help, but use the the blowing end, not the sucking end.

Koen Speetjens (X)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Optical mouse Jan 12, 2014

The one I have/had is optical. Often there is some dust in the light opening which causes it to malfunction, but not now.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Optical is standard Jan 12, 2014

Rolf Keller wrote:

Koen Speetjens wrote:

And now it's acting very unstable so I think it's time for a new one.

Is it an optical mouse? If not, just clean it. Open it carefully and remove any dust around the ball and at the tiny wheels.

I'm pretty sure it's an optical mouse - the tiny wheels you're talking about have become obsolete long ago.

Did you change the surface you're using the mouse on?

Koen Speetjens (X)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@efreitag Jan 12, 2014

No, it's the same, I use a mouse pad.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:31
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Logitech trackball mice Jan 12, 2014

I prefer mice that stay in one position, with a ball to roll around with one finger to move the arrow on screen. Cost about EUR50.

Miranda Drew
Miranda Drew  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
I use the Evoluent Jan 12, 2014

I have been using the Evoluent mouse for about a year now, and I'm very happy with it. But I don't have large hands. I have medium sized hands, I guess.

MY Lim
MY Lim
Malaysia
Local time: 17:31
Chinese to English
+ ...
Delux Wireless Vertical Mouse Jan 12, 2014

I bought this mouse in June 2013 when my wrists started acting up. It's still working quite well. Solid and pretty durable. I have very small hands though, but I think it should work fine for you (It's a bit big for me so I have to use a wrist rest mouse pad in order to reach the scroll button). All... See more
I bought this mouse in June 2013 when my wrists started acting up. It's still working quite well. Solid and pretty durable. I have very small hands though, but I think it should work fine for you (It's a bit big for me so I have to use a wrist rest mouse pad in order to reach the scroll button). All the best!

http://dx.com/p/delux-m618-2-4ghz-wireless-vertical-laser-mouse-black-dark-grey-2-x-aaa-171935
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJxr3rivzvs

--
Edit: Just read a review that said this product isn't suitable for people with large hands... this might not be the most suitable mouse for you after all.

[Edited at 2014-01-12 16:00 GMT]
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Evoluent Vertical Mouse 4 Wireless Jan 14, 2014

With lots of programmable functions.

Koen Speetjens (X)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Delux M618 Jan 28, 2014

Thanks all for your input!
I decided to try the Delux M618 and got it very cheap
I got it today and it's quite different from my other vertical mouse (where I used my thumb to left and right click) and "normal" mouses. Still have to get used to it.

I just wonder how to deactivate the buttons where my thumb rests (to go back and forth in the web browser) as I often click them unintentionally. I tried "cont
... See more
Thanks all for your input!
I decided to try the Delux M618 and got it very cheap
I got it today and it's quite different from my other vertical mouse (where I used my thumb to left and right click) and "normal" mouses. Still have to get used to it.

I just wonder how to deactivate the buttons where my thumb rests (to go back and forth in the web browser) as I often click them unintentionally. I tried "control panel" and "mouse", but couldn't find anything about these buttons there. Does somebody know how to do this?

Cheers!
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:31
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Trackballer too Jan 28, 2014

Jack Doughty wrote:

I prefer mice that stay in one position, with a ball to roll around with one finger to move the arrow on screen. Cost about EUR50.

I used this one (ball 60 mm dia.):

... for some 20 years. It needed some replacement moving parts now and then, but worked OK until Windows updates began disliking serial mice (mine was serial, not PS/2 like the one in this picture).

My wife had this one for a while...

... but after a while the ball began getting stuck every week or so.
At that time she moved to a notebook, and liked the touchpad.

After the first one above became no longer usable, I bought this one (ball 45 mm dia.):

... somewhat fearful that the smaller ball would get stuck like my wife's Logitech, but it doesn't! It's just as smooth and accurate as a larger trackball. Got addicted to its scroll ring on the first day.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:31
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
my personal anti-RSI setup Jan 29, 2014

Hi Koen,

Just thought I'd chime in with my own setup, which has reduced my RSI to almost zero now for years.

To the right of my keyboard I have a Wacom tablet (old style Bamboo), which also has a scroll circle.
To the left of my keyboard I have a wired, optical mouse, with a scroll wheel.

I find that switching between devices is one of the best remedies for RSI. Also, it is good to try and use your keyboard (keyboard shortcuts!) as often as possible.<
... See more
Hi Koen,

Just thought I'd chime in with my own setup, which has reduced my RSI to almost zero now for years.

To the right of my keyboard I have a Wacom tablet (old style Bamboo), which also has a scroll circle.
To the left of my keyboard I have a wired, optical mouse, with a scroll wheel.

I find that switching between devices is one of the best remedies for RSI. Also, it is good to try and use your keyboard (keyboard shortcuts!) as often as possible.

I tend to use a specific device (Wacom tablet, mouse and keyboard) for a specific type of thing, although I also like to mix it up as often as possible. For example, I tend to do all scrolling with my left hand with the mouse, and navigate certain type of programs and UIs with the Wacom (Directory Opus, Chrome), and others using the mouse (Java programs don't always like my Bamboo).

My Wacom Bamboo: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ckz3n-c3gc0/UiFprX8s5PI/AAAAAAAABjE/1fUxxB2ebsQ/s640/Bamboo-Wacom-Tablet1.jpg

Michael

PS: There is apparently a new Bamboo out: http://uk.shop.wacom.eu/products/bamboo/bamboo-pad/bamboo-pad-usb/584?c=70305 (which looks pretty cool)

[Edited at 2014-01-29 00:13 GMT]
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Why bother with mice/mouses? Jan 29, 2014

What about a trackpoint?

Using your thumb for right and left clicking while keeping your index finger on the trackpoint to navigate is quicker and more precise than fiddling with a trackpad, you don't have to take your hands off the keyboard and, unlike any of the murine options, it enables you to work with your laptop actually on your lap when you are on the move or in the garden.

Koen Speetjens (X)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Vertical vs other mouses Jan 29, 2014

@Jack and José Henrique

I've never tried a trackball, and maybe it works, but I'd think the flat position of the lower arm is the same as with a normal mouse. I prefer a vertical mouse.

@Michael

I think you're right that switching methods is a good way to avoid RSI. Maybe I activate the touch pad again, so I can use that too. I deactivated it because of unintentional clicking all around
... See more
@Jack and José Henrique

I've never tried a trackball, and maybe it works, but I'd think the flat position of the lower arm is the same as with a normal mouse. I prefer a vertical mouse.

@Michael

I think you're right that switching methods is a good way to avoid RSI. Maybe I activate the touch pad again, so I can use that too. I deactivated it because of unintentional clicking all around

@Giles

I've used a trackpoint only sporadically, and I'm not very fond of it. Not of the touchpad either, but I think a mixture of methods is worth trying. You're right of course with regard to the mobility of the laptop when using the touchpad, but it's not often I use it away from my desk.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:31
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Not advocating, just explaining Jan 29, 2014

Koen Speetjens wrote:

@José Henrique

That was my very point, many years ago, when I switched to trackballs.

While using the traditional mouse, one must either keep their arm suspended, or drag it - rubbing the forearm against the surface - together with the mouse.

As with a tracckball I only move my fingers, I rest my forearm on my chair's armrest. The position is perfect.

However even if you rest your forearm on a table, the top one on my pictures has an area to rest the base of your palm.

On my present one, it is made of rubber, and detachable, as shown here:

It snaps into place.

The truth is that the original mouse concept was less ergonomic than the joystick, however the latter was not accurate enough for more advanced applications, so maybe now we are heading back to some joystick-like contrivance.

It's like the gearshift lever in cars. Originally it was stuck in the floorboard. Then a Mr. Faulman (I know it, because his late daughter was a friend and a client of mine) invented placing it on the steering column. Now we are back to having it mostly stuck in the central console. Some Frenchmen had it stuck into the dashboard in the 1950s, now Chrysler is doing it in some models.

It all goes in cycles, sometimes for the mere sake of change.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions for ergonomic (vertical) mouse

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »