PROZ.COM COVID-19 RESOURCE CENTER
Access Covid-19 jobs, answer relevant terminology questions, read industry news and more.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What keyboard is the best for a translator ?
Thread poster: Lian Pang

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:31
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
UHK is also nicer, and a bit more compact Nov 16, 2018

Egmont Schröder wrote:
I actually wanted to buy the keyboardio first, but they had troubles with the production so I decided to buy the Ergodox EZ instead.

Like Keyboardio, UHK had a few problems, but is now well and truly shipping and looks good:
https://ultimatehackingkeyboard.com/

Note, however, that the keys are of the conventional, staggered-column type, whereas those on the Ergodox EZ and the Keyboardio are ortholinear.

Dan

Lian Pang

Emma Page
United Kingdom
Member (2017)
French to English
+ ...
Razer BlackWidow with 10key Nov 16, 2018

I use this...https://www.amazon.co.uk/Razer-Blackwidow-Ultimate-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B019DU80WW but I paid quite a bit less than that for it.

I'm sure I could find something I like better, but this was such an upgrade from my previous cheap membrane keyboard that I'm happy for now. I will say that I work in a shared office and it can be very loud, which I have a feeling annoys some of the other translators. It's quieter now that I have a feel for just how hard I need to be typing
... See more
I use this...https://www.amazon.co.uk/Razer-Blackwidow-Ultimate-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B019DU80WW but I paid quite a bit less than that for it.

I'm sure I could find something I like better, but this was such an upgrade from my previous cheap membrane keyboard that I'm happy for now. I will say that I work in a shared office and it can be very loud, which I have a feeling annoys some of the other translators. It's quieter now that I have a feel for just how hard I need to be typing, however!
Collapse

Kenneth Verbraeken  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 23:31
English to Dutch
+ ...
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Cherry MX Brown (Azerty) Nov 16, 2018

I use this one

Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cherry brown, 10 keyless Nov 16, 2018

Cherry brown, 10 keyless (so you can carry it with you, when you are out).

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
...and a support for the hands Nov 17, 2018

I use a laptop computer, with a separate keyboard that plugs in via a USB port; I don't like the built-in keyboards of laptop computers, both because I find their shapes and dimensions make them uncomfortable to use and because most of them don't have a separate numeric keypad, which I want sometimes for typing accented characters.
I don't do a lot of translation work (between zero and about 12 hours per week), but I find that what is fairly important for my comfort when I'm typing is the
... See more
I use a laptop computer, with a separate keyboard that plugs in via a USB port; I don't like the built-in keyboards of laptop computers, both because I find their shapes and dimensions make them uncomfortable to use and because most of them don't have a separate numeric keypad, which I want sometimes for typing accented characters.
I don't do a lot of translation work (between zero and about 12 hours per week), but I find that what is fairly important for my comfort when I'm typing is the wrist rest/support that I have in front of the keyboard. This is a foam-filled cloth-covered pad, about 46 cm long, 6 cm wide and 2 cm high.
I've just done a quick Web search (with search text "wrist support in front of keyboard") and found a number of products like this.
I hope this is useful to somebody.
Oliver
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What keyboard is the best for a translator ?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search