International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Do I need a docking station for my notebook?
Thread poster: Anne Koth

Anne Koth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:00
German to English
Nov 3, 2005

I've been looking for a notebook (laptop?) computer to complement my PC. The man in the shop says I need a docking station so I can easily connect it to the monitor, printer etc. However, I have a WLAN system, so surely I can just use that with the notebook and control the printer that way? I hate plugging things in and I don't want to spend another 200 EUR on a docking station if I don't need to. Or is there another reason why I should buy a docking station?

I'm thinking of getting a Sony Vaio FS315M by the way, if anyone has any advice on that.

Direct link Reply with quote

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:00
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
In most situations, no need for the docking station Nov 3, 2005

The docking station is useful if you need to connect directly a lot of devices to your laptop, i.e., if your laptop is a "desktop replacement" (only computer you use).

If you plan to connect it to your home network, either through a wireless LAN or an Ethernet connection, you'll be able to connect to printers, scanners, etc. through the network.

If you need to connect a monitor or a keyboard, most (or all) laptops should come with a video connector, and several USB connectors. Newer laptops, however, no longer come with PS/2 connectors (useful for older keyboards and mice).

Angus Woo
Local time: 20:00
Chinese to English
+ ...
No,I don't think you need it. Nov 3, 2005

From what you just said, you just don't need it.

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 14:00
English to Czech
+ ...
Decide later Nov 3, 2005

I also think you don't need it, but you can always buy it later. It depends on how often you will unplug/plug all the peripherals (external monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc., if any).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I need a docking station for my notebook?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search