Wireless keyboard and mouse. Any suggestion?
Thread poster: Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:20
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Nov 2, 2006

Hello everyone. Being quite sick of all the wires running on my desktop, I was thinking about getting a good wireless system (keyboard and mouse) for my PC (Win2K). I have tried a wireless mouse out a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed at all. It was less than accurate and it got stuck now and then. Probably things have improved since then, but before spending 100 euros for a system, I would like to get some feedback from those who already use one. Thank you!

Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:20
Member (2002)
Russian to English
wireless mouse/number pad Nov 2, 2006

Hi Gianni,
I've been using a wireless mouse and number pad for over a year. I haven't noticed any problems of inaccuracy, but with heavy use, the batteries need to be changed frequently. Both components start to freeze up when they need a new battery. I probably change the batteries every 2 months.

So take extra batteries with you when you travel!

Best,
Elizabeth

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Same here Nov 2, 2006

I use rechargeable batteries. When the mouse batteries get low, the mouse stops to function. As to the keyboard, low batteries cause unreliable results, so be sure to have some spare ones, beit disposable or rechargeable.
In my opinion wireliess stuff is a great improvement (second to the wheel mouse some years ago).
When your stuff stops functioning properly due to low batteries, you just change batteries, push the "connect" button and continu working where the former current defici
... See more
I use rechargeable batteries. When the mouse batteries get low, the mouse stops to function. As to the keyboard, low batteries cause unreliable results, so be sure to have some spare ones, beit disposable or rechargeable.
In my opinion wireliess stuff is a great improvement (second to the wheel mouse some years ago).
When your stuff stops functioning properly due to low batteries, you just change batteries, push the "connect" button and continu working where the former current deficit urged you to stop.

After reading Jerzy's reply, I'd like to ad: I use Logitech (yet LX 500, and before another Logitech couple for three years) stuff on a wooden table. The mouse never causes trouble, though you feel the plank joints a little when moving the mouse.
Extremely stupid: the screen warning of a low battery is translated literally from English, implying the batteries have limited elevation.

When choosing rechargebale batteries, it might make sense to consider a loader that accepts the batteries of your torch and so on as well.
Actually the mouse / keyboard is independent from the fact whether the batteries are rechargeable or disposable.

[Edited at 2006-11-03 09:18]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Consider Logitech or Microsoft Nov 2, 2006

both are very good manufacturers.
Depending on what you like - flat notebook-like keys or bigger pc-like (conventional) keys you will find good solutions either by Logi or by Mirosoft.
Microsoft does not have flat-type keyboards and its mice are not so good as those from Logitech.
Both Logi and MS are very high quality.
The biggest difference is the battery consumption. MS consumes much less power than Logitech, so if you buy Logitech, look for a rechargeable mouse (a lot
... See more
both are very good manufacturers.
Depending on what you like - flat notebook-like keys or bigger pc-like (conventional) keys you will find good solutions either by Logi or by Mirosoft.
Microsoft does not have flat-type keyboards and its mice are not so good as those from Logitech.
Both Logi and MS are very high quality.
The biggest difference is the battery consumption. MS consumes much less power than Logitech, so if you buy Logitech, look for a rechargeable mouse (a lot of them are rechargeable now).
As for the ergonomy I prefer Logitech. Especially their mice are non-plus-ultra IMHO.

A general remark on optical mice - you need a mouse pad in one colour, as black, blue or similar. They don´t work well on wooden tables and completly refuse to work on mouse pads with design on them.

I´m using now a Media X Desktop set from Logitech and am quite satisfied with it. It is a flat-type notebook-like keyboard. In my case the keyboard is worn after two years at the latest, so I buy quite often a new one. Previously I had a MS keyboard and mouse - the keyboard was OK, the mouse could be better (ergonomical). Prior to it I had two different Logitech desktops after each other. Both were very good. But then after some time the keys start to block, so I know it´s time again for a new one

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Gianni Pastore
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Elizabeth Nov 2, 2006

Gianni Pastore wrote:

I would like to get some feedback from those who already use one. Thank you!

But please mention the maker you're happy with Logitech? Microsoft? Trust? Cheers

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Too much batteries needed Nov 2, 2006

Hi Gianni,
I stopped using the wireless mouse (Logitech) because once a month it needed new batteries, but most of all, because this happened suddenly, i.e. the mouse got frozen, I had to shut down the computer and lost everything I had not saved. This drove me nuts! I didn'nt have inaccuracy problems, neither. Anyway, I am happy again, after all, with my old wired mouse:-)

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:20
English to French
+ ...
Wireless technology is unhealthy Nov 2, 2006

We embrace wireless technologies so readily that we don't remember anymore that radoowaves are unhealthy for our bodies. I suggest to limit wireless devices to a minimum - TV and computer screens already hurt us more than we need it, and even sleeping next to alarm clocks is harmful.

Aside from that, I've had some trouble with a wireless mouse a while ago - it connected to some radiowave in the air and went berserk. It was not just inaccurate - it was uncontrollable and would move a
... See more
We embrace wireless technologies so readily that we don't remember anymore that radoowaves are unhealthy for our bodies. I suggest to limit wireless devices to a minimum - TV and computer screens already hurt us more than we need it, and even sleeping next to alarm clocks is harmful.

Aside from that, I've had some trouble with a wireless mouse a while ago - it connected to some radiowave in the air and went berserk. It was not just inaccurate - it was uncontrollable and would move around erratically when I wasn't even touching it. Again, so many invisible waves in the air that devices are starting to interfere with each other. My laptop often connects to non secure WiFi connections in the neighbourhood instead of connecting to my own - it's just one example. I have experienced dropped calls on portable landline phones because my neighbour was using his at the same time! We had cross-talk already a long time ago, but things are just getting worse...

All the best!
Collapse

bububu
bububu  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
I am happy with Logitech Nov 2, 2006

I got my set (the keyboard and the optical mouse) after my son upgraded his computer. Now it is about 3-4 years old. There is only one problem: the mouse "eats" batteries like crazy. My next one is going to be rechargable one (when there is a base for a mouse). Otherwise, I am happy.

Although there is a great of amount of warnings about how dead my mouse is, I am always waiting for batteries to die completely (the mouse stopped moving at all). I change them and restart the mouse. Yo
... See more
I got my set (the keyboard and the optical mouse) after my son upgraded his computer. Now it is about 3-4 years old. There is only one problem: the mouse "eats" batteries like crazy. My next one is going to be rechargable one (when there is a base for a mouse). Otherwise, I am happy.

Although there is a great of amount of warnings about how dead my mouse is, I am always waiting for batteries to die completely (the mouse stopped moving at all). I change them and restart the mouse. You do not have to restart the whole computer if you have a problem with a wireless mouse because you can restart a mouse. There is a small button underneath a mouse - just press it. If it does not help there is another button on a mouse reciever. And only after this will not help too, press a "restart computer" button.
Collapse

Diantha Guessous
Diantha Guessous  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
French to English
Also happy with Logitech Nov 3, 2006

My son gave me a Logitech cordless keyboard and cordless optical mouse a couple of years ago. Great gift! Do give it to yourself-or whatever other cordless set suits you best. Anything that reduces the mess of cords is a boon. Among other advantages, you can get the keyboard out of the way if you feel like using that space for something else for awhile.
As for the Logitech mouse, it does seem to go through batteries quite quickly if you're using it regularly, but you are given plenty of w
... See more
My son gave me a Logitech cordless keyboard and cordless optical mouse a couple of years ago. Great gift! Do give it to yourself-or whatever other cordless set suits you best. Anything that reduces the mess of cords is a boon. Among other advantages, you can get the keyboard out of the way if you feel like using that space for something else for awhile.
As for the Logitech mouse, it does seem to go through batteries quite quickly if you're using it regularly, but you are given plenty of warning. I often go a couple of days after the first one. Also, as
bububu says, you can certainly replace the batteries without shutting off the computer. You just have to be sure to keep a supply of batteries always on hand.
Like Henk, I 've been using my mouse on a wooden table without a pad and have had no problems.
Happy shopping

[Edited at 2006-11-03 01:43]
Collapse

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Logitech Nov 3, 2006

I got a wireless keyboard and mouse in June and am delighted with both. My set has a little radio-frequency device with a button on it. I keep that behind the screen in a corner. When the batteries go on the mouse, I just pop in the new set (yes, use rechargeable ones!) and press a button to resynchronize everything. I've never had to shut down, nor have I lost anything.
As to the mouse, I use mine on a mouse "rug": it's a mini Persian carpet with a design AND pile, just like a real rug, a
... See more
I got a wireless keyboard and mouse in June and am delighted with both. My set has a little radio-frequency device with a button on it. I keep that behind the screen in a corner. When the batteries go on the mouse, I just pop in the new set (yes, use rechargeable ones!) and press a button to resynchronize everything. I've never had to shut down, nor have I lost anything.
As to the mouse, I use mine on a mouse "rug": it's a mini Persian carpet with a design AND pile, just like a real rug, and have never had any problems whatsoever.
Catherine
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here. Nov 3, 2006

Hi Gianni,
I’ve had both Logitech and Microsoft.
Using the Microsoft set was like sitting at the weapons controls of the Enterprise with a big phaser in one hand.
I used it for just a couple of weeks because it was really uncomfortable, huge keys in a double curve layout probably designed for Klingons or something, way too many bells and whistles on it too, I mean once you’ve ripped the enemy’s bridge apart with a few photon torpedoes and taken out their engines with a co
... See more
Hi Gianni,
I’ve had both Logitech and Microsoft.
Using the Microsoft set was like sitting at the weapons controls of the Enterprise with a big phaser in one hand.
I used it for just a couple of weeks because it was really uncomfortable, huge keys in a double curve layout probably designed for Klingons or something, way too many bells and whistles on it too, I mean once you’ve ripped the enemy’s bridge apart with a few photon torpedoes and taken out their engines with a couple of well-directed phaser shots do you really want to torture the pour souls by launching media player or explorer on them too? I think there may be some Intergalactic treaty against that btw.
The Logitech was cheaper and more comfortable to use, looked better too and I did use it for a few years, but now I prefer the keyboard of my laptop.

The best keyboard is the one your hands know and putting them on a new one can be like changing house, try before you buy if poss – for a few days too – you may not feel comfy in the new neighbourhood.
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Interesting! Nov 3, 2006

I never got any warnings (strange) and so I was faced suddenly with a frozen mouse. I panicked each time when this happened and shut down the PC, not knowing the trick with the button...

But, yes, a wireless mouse is much more comfortable than a wired one, and then the Logitech is quite ergonomical. Maybe I'll try again, but with a rechargeable one, this time!

I forgot to mention that I am still using the Logitech keyboard and am happy with it. I don't remember when I
... See more
I never got any warnings (strange) and so I was faced suddenly with a frozen mouse. I panicked each time when this happened and shut down the PC, not knowing the trick with the button...

But, yes, a wireless mouse is much more comfortable than a wired one, and then the Logitech is quite ergonomical. Maybe I'll try again, but with a rechargeable one, this time!

I forgot to mention that I am still using the Logitech keyboard and am happy with it. I don't remember when I changed the batteries last time - anyway, a long time ago!:-)
Collapse

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Benq keyboard Nov 3, 2006

I am extremely fuzzy about keyboards - they have to be reliable and the key travel should be quite short, rather like the keyboard on a laptop.
I had an NGS wireless keyboard, which was not too responsive and you had to restart the computer after changing batteries. I then went back to wired keyboards(Microsoft as a cheap backup, a Genius LuxeMate of which the keys started to show signs of wear after only a few months) and finally found the ideal keyboard - although this may be different f
... See more
I am extremely fuzzy about keyboards - they have to be reliable and the key travel should be quite short, rather like the keyboard on a laptop.
I had an NGS wireless keyboard, which was not too responsive and you had to restart the computer after changing batteries. I then went back to wired keyboards(Microsoft as a cheap backup, a Genius LuxeMate of which the keys started to show signs of wear after only a few months) and finally found the ideal keyboard - although this may be different for everybody. It is made by Benq and I have been using it for at least 6 months now. The model has some extra features I do not use, but I don't mind that as overall it is so comfortable. They advertise the 'scissor' technology of the keys - no idea what that is but it works great.
I don't know if they still manufacture the wireless version though, only found it here: http://www.jump.co.za/Product/BenQ-wireless-keyboard-mouse-276698.htm
I use a Genius wired mouse as I am also very finicky about mice and the Genius one (GM03006A) gives me the least strain problems. Wired mice are lighter than wireless mice. The one that came with the keyboard is a bit heavy (as it also contains 2 batteries).
Anjo

[Edited at 2006-11-03 13:03]
Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:20
French to English
+ ...
Evidence? Nov 3, 2006

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Wireless technology is unhealthy

We embrace wireless technologies so readily that we don't remember anymore that radoowaves are unhealthy for our bodies.

What is the evidence that radio waves, as used in wireless mice/keyboards, are harmful?

Gianni Pastore
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone! Nov 3, 2006

Thanks indeed to everyone for the in-depth coverage of the subject. I think I'll give Logitech a chance to win a luxurious holiday on my wooden desktop! Cheers

PS Jo Mac: That's possibly the funniest explanation I've read in a long time

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wireless keyboard and mouse. Any suggestion?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »