Thread poster: Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:51
German to English
+ ...
Feb 5, 2007

Hi,

I have a Dell PC, and this morning it started beeping and telling me it was in battery failure mode. I immediately shut down, then was able to boot back up and make a Norton Ghost backup. Right now it seems to be working fine, and the battery meter icon in the task bar shows full battery power - although I am connected to a backup power supply, so maybe that's all that means.

How serious is this? I have the Norton Ghost backup of my data and a laptop to work on, whi
... See more
Hi,

I have a Dell PC, and this morning it started beeping and telling me it was in battery failure mode. I immediately shut down, then was able to boot back up and make a Norton Ghost backup. Right now it seems to be working fine, and the battery meter icon in the task bar shows full battery power - although I am connected to a backup power supply, so maybe that's all that means.

How serious is this? I have the Norton Ghost backup of my data and a laptop to work on, which is what I am going to do today until I can get more info. Do I need to immediately rush to the computer store? Is this something I can take care of myself?

Thanks for any tips you might have.
Collapse

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:51
English to German
+ ...
Have you checked your manual? Feb 5, 2007

Surely there will be something on battery failure / low battery or similar, including instructions on how to deal with it.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:51
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes, it seems you can handle this yourself Feb 5, 2007

Only recently I learnt that desktops (and not only laptops which I have used for many years) do have a battery.

I have a Dell desktop, too, and and the instruction says that the battery lasts many years and probably never needs to be changed.

If you have a paper written manual like me, look there for more instructions. It does not seem particularly difficult to change the battery.

Good luck!

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:51
French to English
+ ...
Take the battery out and put it back in again Feb 5, 2007

I had a terrible shock soon after getting my first (Toshiba) laptop a few years ago. In the middle of a job it suddenly went dead and I could do nothing with it all. I phoned the (very helpful) Toshiba helpline and they suggested taking the battery out and putting it in again, which solved the problem - miraculous! I don't think I'd lost more than the few sentences since I last saved either. I think it's done it once since then, but I always bear it in mind as an option if I've tried all the usu... See more
I had a terrible shock soon after getting my first (Toshiba) laptop a few years ago. In the middle of a job it suddenly went dead and I could do nothing with it all. I phoned the (very helpful) Toshiba helpline and they suggested taking the battery out and putting it in again, which solved the problem - miraculous! I don't think I'd lost more than the few sentences since I last saved either. I think it's done it once since then, but I always bear it in mind as an option if I've tried all the usual recovery methods.

Good luck!
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Turns out nothing's wrong! Feb 5, 2007

As it turns out after a long phone call with Dell that nothing is wrong with my computer. The technician led me through a diagnostic test and the battery is fine. It must have been some sort of glitch, perhaps with my back-up power supply.

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm glad I learned about this, so I know what to do should it become a problem in the future. I didn't even realize that the battery was so critical to my desktop.

franksf
franksf
Chinese to English
On board battery Feb 6, 2007

The battery of a desktop PC is on the motherboard and looks similar to a shirt button battery, it usually keeps the system date and time and other information of your PC for years. A brand name PC like Dell would remind the user in case of the battery running low. Also Dell provides a diagnostic CD with the PC and you may boot up with it and run diagnostic tests, including the battery test. If you don't have the CD, you may download the CD image pertinent to your PC model and burn one.

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 6, 2007

That's excellent advice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Battery failure in desktop?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »