https://www.proz.com/forum/hardware/8161-could_you_tell_me_which_pc_is_for_you_the_most_suitable_for_our_profession.html

Could you tell me which PC is, for you, the most suitable for our profession?
Thread poster: IsaPro
IsaPro
IsaPro  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:53
English to French
+ ...
Jan 31, 2003

Hi everybody,

I have a question to ask to my peers who are more expert than I am in computers.

I have a PackardBell iMedia which causes me lots of trouble.

Many, many thanks!!!

Isabelle

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Describe the problems Jan 31, 2003

Hi Isabelle,

I\'m not sure there\'s a straightforward answer to your question - even though we might all be in the same line of business (in principle, that is...), there are simply too many different possibilities. Also, PC problems are often unrelated to a particular type of machine (I\'m not saying that\'s the case with your PC, more a general statement).

Why don\'t you describe some of your troubles in a bit more detail? Also, to get a recommendation regarding
... See more
Hi Isabelle,

I\'m not sure there\'s a straightforward answer to your question - even though we might all be in the same line of business (in principle, that is...), there are simply too many different possibilities. Also, PC problems are often unrelated to a particular type of machine (I\'m not saying that\'s the case with your PC, more a general statement).

Why don\'t you describe some of your troubles in a bit more detail? Also, to get a recommendation regarding computer buying, we would need to know more about your needs (e.g. use of CAT tools, software, etc. type of web connection...)

And remember: there\'s no such thing as a stupid question. But there\'s a lot of people here who will be happy to help you.

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
An attempt to describe the "ideal" PC for a translator Jan 31, 2003

First of all I shall state, that Ralf and Tayfun are both rigt - there are to many factors to get a general description for a PC, covering all needs.

I´ll try to describe my way on getting a PC to work as I wish it to.

You will find details on components I use, but it does not mean that this is the ONLY solution, then for sure it is not.

A very important issue on buying a PC is its price. I have twice made a mistake and bought \"brand names\" - but both
... See more
First of all I shall state, that Ralf and Tayfun are both rigt - there are to many factors to get a general description for a PC, covering all needs.

I´ll try to describe my way on getting a PC to work as I wish it to.

You will find details on components I use, but it does not mean that this is the ONLY solution, then for sure it is not.

A very important issue on buying a PC is its price. I have twice made a mistake and bought \"brand names\" - but both were not as good as they should have. In both cases good processors were combined with a bad mainboard and the manufacturer saved on everything. So at last I made my own PC.

What is important - best speed for a reasonable price. We are no overclocker and we do not need to do such thing. Mostly we do not use our PCs for gaming, so we do not need the fastest graphic card, which will be very expensive. What we need is view quality and a very stable platform. Operating system is a very important factor too.

So taking all this into account I would suggest the following combination:

Computer case with a power supply with at least 300 W or better 350 W.

Motherboard: Elite Group ECS K7S5a - very cheap, very reliable, fast enough, contains LAN and sound on board.

Processor: Athlon XP series, even the slowest 1700+ will do. Take what you can afford, but don´t buy the fastest - their price-performance ratio is not as good as this fro cheaper ones. But on the other hand don´t go for Duron (or respective, if you choose Intel, take PIV, not Celeron - then select other motherboard, as K7S5a is for AMD only).

Memory: at least 256 MB, better 512 MB of DDR RAM PC 2100 (works with 266 MHz) CL2 (this is quite important, don´t buy CL2.5 or CL3 modules)

Graphic card: select Matrox G550 ore Radeon. You do not need to buy an expensive one. ATI Radeon and Matrox offer much better view quality as NVidia. And if you wish to buy a LCD screen, select a graphic card with DVI output.

HDD: at least 60 GB. You can choose Seagate, IBM or Maxtor or Western Digital - the differences are not that big. Choosa a disk with 7200 rpm.

You will need a CD-ROM or better a DVD-Rom. Choose one from Pioneer or Toshiba. If you want a CD-RW or DVD-R, select Plextor.

Well, that´s all for the hardware.

Regarding the operating system there is currently only one choice for PC - Windows XP Professional. You can get the full system builder version for 159,- EURO.

Then you should get a reliable PC for a very reasonable price, I think it will not exceed 700 EURO including OS.

Kind regards

Jerzy
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 21:53
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Re: viruses Jan 31, 2003

Quote:

Do not trust always your Anti-virus programs. If somehow a virus is resided in your PC they have some effects on Virus program and Virus programs can not find them.

Excuse me, but this is bullshit. All antivirus programs from major distributors

is finding ALL viruses, believe me, and if you don\'t, read their homepages. On this thay can\'t cheat, as eyes of all the worlds IT community ... See more
Quote:

Do not trust always your Anti-virus programs. If somehow a virus is resided in your PC they have some effects on Virus program and Virus programs can not find them.

Excuse me, but this is bullshit. All antivirus programs from major distributors

is finding ALL viruses, believe me, and if you don\'t, read their homepages. On this thay can\'t cheat, as eyes of all the worlds IT community are upon them. Another thing is they antivirus engines doesn\'t necessary restore your computer to pre-virus settings, but most of the producers do release special programs for that as freeware.
[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 21:53
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Re: An attempt to describe the "ideal" PC for a translator Jan 31, 2003

I wanted to say something wise, but Jerzy

did all of it first. I can only agree on all he said and confirm - I have never experienced problems with Athlon processors- and all our computers run on them.
[addsig]

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:53
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
And also, a big monitor! Feb 1, 2003

When I was purchasing my PC, the technician who sold it came to my place and could see how I was working:

On the screen, he could see that I was working with the following items:

2 messengers (to be in contact with my clients and colleagues)

CAT tool + Terminology tool

Word (or Quark, or PageMager, or whateve)

Outlook

At least 6 websites (proz, online dictionnaries, pages where I could find terminology)

<
... See more
When I was purchasing my PC, the technician who sold it came to my place and could see how I was working:

On the screen, he could see that I was working with the following items:

2 messengers (to be in contact with my clients and colleagues)

CAT tool + Terminology tool

Word (or Quark, or PageMager, or whateve)

Outlook

At least 6 websites (proz, online dictionnaries, pages where I could find terminology)

He said: \"You need a HUGE monitor!\"

I do realize he was completely right! Now I\'m really happy with my 19\' monitor.

Regards,

Clarisa Moraña
Collapse

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:53
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Don't forget the two-monitor solution... Feb 1, 2003

... connected to one PC or, if you have a spare computer plus a spare monitor, have two (or more) PCs connected through a router so that you can open different programs at the time in a side-by-side configuration and transfer files as you please. With this configuration you would also have an emergency computer should one crashes. And do not forget an additional HD for backup operations.

Mario Cerutti

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:53
Swedish to English
+ ...
Big monitor Feb 1, 2003

I agree - the single most important requirement for a translator\'s PC is to have the biggest possible monitor (screen) - at least 19\", preferably bigger - so that you can have texts, electronic dictionaries and encyclopedias, websites, open and visible side by side. That\'s the single biggest productivity boost. Expensive, but worth it.

Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
believe in the devil rather than in advertisements! Feb 1, 2003

uldis wrote:

Quote:

All antivirus programs from major distributors is finding ALL viruses, believe me, and if you don\'t, read their homepages. On this thay can\'t cheat, as eyes of all the worlds IT community are upon them.

So you believe every word on every Internet homepage?? I\'m afraid very few producers of any kind can afford to tell the complete truth, in view of their fierce competitors, and def... See more
uldis wrote:

Quote:

All antivirus programs from major distributors is finding ALL viruses, believe me, and if you don\'t, read their homepages. On this thay can\'t cheat, as eyes of all the worlds IT community are upon them.

So you believe every word on every Internet homepage?? I\'m afraid very few producers of any kind can afford to tell the complete truth, in view of their fierce competitors, and defects rarely damage them, except after a car defect has caused dozens of fatal accidents, or after a pill has caused hundreds of disabled babies to be born. ▲ Collapse

IsaPro
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I thank you all Feb 1, 2003

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question.

I know there is no \'miracle\' computer...

For those of you who wanted to know the symptoms of my PC\'s disease, here they are:

Let\'s say I start working at 8.00 am. You can be sure that at 8.20, my PC will shut. Black screen and more than 20 minutes to relaunch the machine.

Is it serious, doctor?

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Possibly processor gets too hot Feb 1, 2003

If your PC goes down after some time of work and will not start again, then possibly your processor is getting hot and shuts down to protect itself.

But without knowing any details about your PC I must behave as a dotctor, dealing with the wrong patient.

Jerzy

IsaPro
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU DOC' Feb 3, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-01 19:25, JCzopik wrote:

If your PC goes down after some time of work and will not start again, then possibly your processor is getting hot and shuts down to protect itself.

But without knowing any details about your PC I must behave as a dotctor, dealing with the wrong patient.

Jerzy

Dear Jerzy,

Indeed, you\'re a very talen... See more
Quote:

On 2003-02-01 19:25, JCzopik wrote:

Jerzy

Dear Jerzy,

Indeed, you\'re a very talented PC doctor. It seems my processor gets too hot and the fan does not work as it should. I\'ll have all this repaired soon and thanks to you, among others, I will soon be able to work normally again.

Hope I\'ll have the opportunity to help you all rather soon.

Isa ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »