Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 16:34
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Wrists and blood flow Jun 24, 2009

James McVay wrote:

Whenever I feel pain in my wrists, I stop, grab my fingers, and pull back to stretch the tendons. I rotate my wrist a few times and pull my fingers back from different directions. Try it. That might be all you really need.

I also do this, I do all sort of exercises with my fingers and hands to stimulate blood flow through my wrists and hands, it's highly important. And generally, exercise for any part of the body will have effects on other parts. It's all one large machine that must be in harmony.

I'd say pro piano players should experience even more problems in this regard, but not sure whether the CTS is largely present among them.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 17:34
English to Greek
+ ...
++ Exercise Jun 24, 2009

Hello,

Maybe I'm too young to be experiencing problems (6 years on the job + 29 y.o.) and I'm not exactly well-informed about the problem, but it makes sense to me that we should fit exercise into our daily programme. I think that mild and regular exercise that maintains or increases/ restores the elasticity of the tendons, the strength of the muscles and the good condition of the bones, should act as a prevention of the CTS and other strain dependent conditions. I think that seeing
... See more
Hello,

Maybe I'm too young to be experiencing problems (6 years on the job + 29 y.o.) and I'm not exactly well-informed about the problem, but it makes sense to me that we should fit exercise into our daily programme. I think that mild and regular exercise that maintains or increases/ restores the elasticity of the tendons, the strength of the muscles and the good condition of the bones, should act as a prevention of the CTS and other strain dependent conditions. I think that seeing a doctor and/ or a physiotherapist or a trusted trainer would be a very good idea, in order to determine the nature of the condition and decide on a programme/ get some suggestions.
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 02:34
Chinese to English
A webpage with resources on ergonomics etc Jun 25, 2009

http://www.ergowise.co.nz/Resources/Links.html Someone came and talked to us on occupational health and safety at an NZSTI Conference once. Perhaps some of these links might be useful.

[Edited at 2009-06-25 21:42 GMT]

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:34
German to English
+ ...
Kinesis + trackball Jul 26, 2009

Hi Lia,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I had problems with my hands and wrists a few years ago, but it turned out to be a muscle and tendon inflammation due to shoulder/back muscle weakness (making me favor my hands too much) and not carpal tunnel. Make sure you get checked out by a physician who is very familiar with various types of repetitive strain injuries. This stuff can be hard to diagnose because it can involve nerves, muscles, tendons, etc. and often these problems are al
... See more
Hi Lia,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I had problems with my hands and wrists a few years ago, but it turned out to be a muscle and tendon inflammation due to shoulder/back muscle weakness (making me favor my hands too much) and not carpal tunnel. Make sure you get checked out by a physician who is very familiar with various types of repetitive strain injuries. This stuff can be hard to diagnose because it can involve nerves, muscles, tendons, etc. and often these problems are all lumped under "carpal tunnel." The critical thing is to ascertain that there has been no nerve damage.

As for tools, I use a Kinesis keyboard (one of the expensive ones - my first one lasted for about 5 years, though) and a trackball. I can't use a mouse or I end up with knots in my shoulder on the right side. Besides the concave design of the keys to fit the shape of your hand, the cool thing about the Kinesis keyboard is the unique layout. The keys such as Ctrl and Alt, which I use constantly for shortcuts, are placed where the thumb (strongest finger) is, not where the pinkie (weakest finger) is. That made a world of difference to me. The downside is that it takes a couple of weeks to get used to the new layout. Once I did, I found I could actually type faster than with a regular keyboard and with little to no discomfort.

Hope that helps!!
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:34
German to English
+ ...
That's what I learned in physical therapy Jul 26, 2009

Lia Fail wrote:

I've also found in the past that my hand/arm problems respond very well to gym exercises for working out and strengthening the upper part of the body, especially back and shoulders.

Precisely - and you figured that out much more cheaply than I did! A strong back and shoulders prevent you from leaning forward and favoring your hands too much for movements that should include the whole upper body.

PS I forgot to add - Check out how you are sleeping as well. Once my work situation was under control, I still had some problems with my hands and wrists, and it turned out that my sleeping position (often sleeping with my hands under my head) was aggravating the condition.

[Edited at 2009-07-26 14:25 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ergonomics: mouse + keyboard

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »