Off topic: Recognising strokes...
Thread poster: David Moore (X)
David Moore (X)
David Moore (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:42
German to English
+ ...
Jul 26, 2009

My sister sent me an e-mail, of which this is a slightly edited version; I thought it might be of interest generally.

----- Original Message -----
Subject: FW: Blood clots and stroke/worth the few seconds to read
Something everyone should know.

Blood Clots/Stroke - they now have a fourth indicator, the tongue

I will continue to forward this every time it comes around!

STROKE: Remember the 1st three letters.... S.T.R
... See more
My sister sent me an e-mail, of which this is a slightly edited version; I thought it might be of interest generally.

----- Original Message -----
Subject: FW: Blood clots and stroke/worth the few seconds to read
Something everyone should know.

Blood Clots/Stroke - they now have a fourth indicator, the tongue

I will continue to forward this every time it comes around!

STROKE: Remember the 1st three letters.... S.T.R.

My nurse friend sent this and encouraged me to post it and spread the word.
I agree.

If everyone can remember something this simple, we could save some folks.

Seriously..

Please read:

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics). She said she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes.

They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening.

Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - at 6:00 pm Ingrid passed away. She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die; they just end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can reverse the effects of a stroke... totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognised, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNISING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, STR .
Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognise the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognise a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S * Ask the individual to SMILE.
T * Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (coherently)(eg. It's sunny out today.)
R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call emergency number immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue.. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other , that is also an indication of a stroke.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

I have done my part. Will you?

---------------------------------------

If it helps anyone, that's good.

Best to all,

David Moore
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
STR and that Jul 26, 2009

David Moore wrote:
S * Ask the individual to SMILE.
T * Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (coherently)(eg. It's sunny out today.)
R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

Interesting. I've never heard of the STR method of recognising a stroke. That said, my cousin recently went out golfing with her boss, who had a stroke, and she was able to recognise it instantly because her father had had a stroke as well. I don't think the STR method was used, though.

David Moore (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Guide for the non-medic? Jul 26, 2009

Hi, Samuel,

Thanks for your comment; I think this is more aimed at helping those without any personal experience, like me. A sort of "Dummy's guide" if you like. I know THIS dummy learned something, and it seems reasonably easy to remember!

Best,

David Moore

Sven De Clercq
Sven De Clercq
Belgium
German to Dutch
+ ...
Leave out the last sentences Jul 26, 2009

I think you should leave out the last sentences so it doesn't look like spam. It will be taken more seriously that way. Other than that, it's a useful message.

I'm not medically trained in any way but in general a stroke means that a part of the brain is longer supplied with blood (caused by a clot or hemorrhage). That often results into sudden paralysis or inability to speak, see, hear.... That's what the tests in this message aim to identify. So actually any sudden loss of a body
... See more
I think you should leave out the last sentences so it doesn't look like spam. It will be taken more seriously that way. Other than that, it's a useful message.

I'm not medically trained in any way but in general a stroke means that a part of the brain is longer supplied with blood (caused by a clot or hemorrhage). That often results into sudden paralysis or inability to speak, see, hear.... That's what the tests in this message aim to identify. So actually any sudden loss of a body function is likely a result of a stroke.
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Chain e-mails are always suspicious Jul 26, 2009

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

When an e-mail recommends sending it to other people, it should always be treated with caution.

Fortunately, most of the content of this one is not too harmful, but read with attention the detailed analysis of this e-mail:
Identify Stroke Email - Three Simple Questions - Hoax-slayer.com

I include the conclusion here:
This unfortunate tendency for messages to mutate as they travel means that it may not always be a good idea to pass on even those rare email forwards that contain factual and verifiable information. Also, as explained above, the misuse of such information due to false assumptions or lack of understanding can have dangerous repercussions. If you do decide to forward this email, I would suggest that you first remove the superfluous information it contains. Secondly, include a warning about the danger of not seeking medical attention just because a person can successfully perform the three steps. Thirdly, I think it would also be a good idea to add a link to the original source so that recipients can check the information for themselves. The link to the American Stroke Association report is included below:
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3053

[Reason for edit: Link from Hoax-slayer.com was obsolete, I have put a working one instead]

Didier

[Edited at 2009-07-26 13:20 GMT]

David Moore (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reservations Jul 26, 2009

Hi Didier,

I do appreciate your reservations on chain e-mails, but as you say, this doesn't seem too "harmful". It might even help, but I hope no-one would draw wrong conclusions and fail to call for assistance if a "suspect" WERE able to pass the tests?

BTW, the stumble referred to in the original e-mail is very similar to one which might occur to someone in the early stages of ALS, don't you agree? And that might not be manifest either...I do know a little bit about t
... See more
Hi Didier,

I do appreciate your reservations on chain e-mails, but as you say, this doesn't seem too "harmful". It might even help, but I hope no-one would draw wrong conclusions and fail to call for assistance if a "suspect" WERE able to pass the tests?

BTW, the stumble referred to in the original e-mail is very similar to one which might occur to someone in the early stages of ALS, don't you agree? And that might not be manifest either...I do know a little bit about that, though, as an aunt of my wife's suffered from it.

Oh, and another BTW, I did try to access your link, but without success. And that bothers me.

Best,
David
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
The link was obsolete Jul 26, 2009

David Moore wrote:

I you have followed the link I gave on the analysis, you will see that some do.

Oh, and another BTW, I did try to access your link, but without success. And that bothers me.

It was quoted verbatim from the hoax-slayer page. As links do change, it was now obsolete. I have replaced it with a current working link.

Didier

[Edited at 2009-07-26 13:25 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Stroke Jul 26, 2009

Hello David,

I can't believe she sat back at the table after experiencing stroke. It must have been some light stroke at that stage or she wouldn't have stayed conscious.

These tips are very good but there is a generic rule drawn out of common sense that medics should always be called. Besides, the likelihood is very low that the woman from the story had not been aware of her condition ( for example high-blood pressure, etc). The stroke rarely comes out of the blue, a
... See more
Hello David,

I can't believe she sat back at the table after experiencing stroke. It must have been some light stroke at that stage or she wouldn't have stayed conscious.

These tips are very good but there is a generic rule drawn out of common sense that medics should always be called. Besides, the likelihood is very low that the woman from the story had not been aware of her condition ( for example high-blood pressure, etc). The stroke rarely comes out of the blue, although it may appear so to other people. Therefore, I'm sure she had a long history of bad health-related symptoms preceding the actual stroke. She or someone close to her at the party must have known this.

Nonetheless, the tips may be very useful taking into account anyone can suddenly find themselves in a situation where they could assist and actually save someone's life.
Collapse

David Moore (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New link Jul 26, 2009

Hi Didier,

Thanks, and well done.

I think we are both "on track" here; your second link does give much the same ideas half-way down the page as my e-mail, which did only refer to strokes.

Best,
David

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
Local time: 00:42
English
+ ...
Stroke signs. Jul 26, 2009

The tips mentioned in the e-mail are just four elements of a more extensive neurological examination performed routinely by physicians and are neither exhaustive nor specific for stroke. Notwithstanding that, if any of those physical signs suddenly appear it would be prudent to seek immediate medical attention.

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recognising strokes...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »