Thread poster: Wendy Cummings

Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:09
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 4, 2010

Ever since I have been working from home (nearly 4 years now), I have realised that the contents of my kitchen cupboards have had to change simply because I have long suffered from the "munchies" and so anything and everything "munchable" just gets, well, munched!

I say this as I sit eating a bowl of muesli at 5.30 in the evening, having already scoffed half an almond cake that a friend thoughtfully but misguidedly gave me as a gift, and eyeing the jar of peanut butter...

Thankfully I do a lot of exercise to counter this habit, but I have found that i simply cannot keep sweet foods in my house any more, as the temptation is too great!

Has anyone else's dietary habits changed by force of circumstance?!

Direct link Reply with quote

Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:09
Member (2007)
German to English
fridge vs. candy machine May 4, 2010

Actually, my snacking habits seem to have moderated considerably since I've been making my living in translation.

In my previous (stressful) life as a software engineer, I tended to consume a lot of coffee and candy. Toward the end, it got so bad that I was actually walking around with a caffeine buzz. My health was really beginning to suffer.

I still consume more sugar that I should, but it's not out of control like it used to be. Now that I'm working in a profession that I truly enjoy, I have less of an urge to compensate by effectively drugging myself with junk food.

Noni Gilbert
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
One of the reasons I chose not to work at home! May 4, 2010

Ah yes, that was one of the very reasons why I refused to have an internet connection at home and came up to the office even at weekends. But now my husband has been ill and largely holed up in bed at home for the last few months so I've had to give way and get the connection. The increase in grocery bills is almost as much as the cost of the connection....

The only reason the box of delicious "feos" from Benavente (a local version of macaroon) didn't get finished last night was that my eight-year-old son had counted how many were left before he went to bed. ;-(

[Edited at 2010-05-04 17:35 GMT]

Andrea Teltemann  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
French to German
+ ...
Keep junk food out of the house May 4, 2010

I think the only way to avoid attacks of munchie mood is not to have any junk food stored. Instead provide yourself with fresh fruit, strawberries for example…

Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Dutch to English
+ ...
there are healthy snacks May 4, 2010

As Andrea said, avoid junk food! There are heaps of recipes for so-called health bars on the web. Your local health-food shop will have lots of appealing yet more healthy goodies. Or grab a small handful of dried fruit and nuts when you get the munchies. I drink a lot of green tea - healthy and filling. And it's diuretic so you have to get up and away from the 'puter and stretch your legs more often. Or water with a squeeze of lemon.

Once you kick the habit eating manufactured rubbish, there's no going back - you don't feel like it any more. You'll notice that the inevitable energy dip that comes after sweet or high carb food will disappear, thus breaking the viscious circle.

...because you're worth it!

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
healthy vs junky May 4, 2010

Ah but therein lies the problem - a healthy snack just isn't the same as a sugary snack and I rarely buy mass-produced food, rather its home-baked cakes and biscuits that get left over from when I have visitors!

I was born with an overpowering sweet tooth, and I've been craving the sugary stuff ever since!

Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Dutch to English
+ ...
perhaps you have sugar cravings? May 5, 2010

Aha! Sugar is said to be addictive in any case but perhaps you have sugar/refined carbohydrate cravings which may result from a population explosion of Candida Albans (type of yeast - they're always in the gut). The wee beasties need sugar as food like yeast in bread does. When there's lot's of sugar in the system, there'll be lots of them feeding off it and they keep you on the sugar/carbs to keep up supplies. Next step could be a urinary infection! Those beasties also love acidity.

An acidic environment they also like and that's what produced in the body by sugar/refined carbohydrate and many other foods too (alcohol, coffee, dairy, red meat, wheat products etc - yep, it doesn't leave much over!). Heaps of info on the web. Just stopping with sugar/refined carbohydrate foods will take willpower and the healing process will be slow. Most fruit is then bad because of its high fructose sugar content. Once the Candida levels have returned to normal, fruit is OK to eat again, but best to keep the other sugar/refined carbohydrates in moderation. Lemon juice is very helpful despite its high acidity because once digested, it has an alkaline effect on the body.

Try changing your diet for a week and see how you feel at the end of it.

Unsurprisingly, women with their preferences for white wine, chocolate, pastries and cake etc etc have this problem more than men do.

Every body is of course different: this has worked for me.

Noni Gilbert
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Jennifer May 5, 2010

Everything you say makes an alarming amount of sense. I am ferociously "anti-diet" because of all the body image issues, although I am very interested in nutrition. The only time I have directly controlled my diet was during pregnancy diabetes with my first pregnancy. Now I am seriously thinking about your suggestion. Thank you! Now I am going to go into a deep depression at the mere thought of giving up all those sugary things and the rest

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
lose-lose situation May 5, 2010

And there was me thinking my diet of no caffeine, always brown bread, and vast amounts of fruit was good for me!

I do agree though, as many years ago I went on a diet and although the cravings hounded me at first, they then disappeared and I found I simply had no desire to nosh chocolate day in day out! That was however, before the days of homeworking...!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I completely agree! May 5, 2010

Andrea Teltemann wrote:
I think the only way to avoid attacks of munchie mood is not to have any junk food stored. Instead provide yourself with fresh fruit, strawberries for example…

(I hope my neighbours are not reading this) When my kids receive a ton of sweets and unhealthy stuff in birthday parties, I literally give them 10% of the it and the rest goes quickly to the dustbin... Otherwise it would be eaten by my kids, my wife, or even worse, myself.

Paul Adie  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
All in the mind May 5, 2010

I found that my own eating issues (eating far too many sugary things, drinking vast amounts of fizzy juice, etc.) were actually psychological. Once the habit is broken, you don't even care about that stuff any more. I've also given up red meat and poultry for 9 months and I don't miss it at all. People are always asking me how I could ever give up steak, when the truth is that the idea of biting into a bloody, seared piece of flesh turns my stomach now.

I don't know how to advise you to stop eating sweet things, it just kind of happened for me. Just stay strong and burn all those sweet treats your friends bring round!

Happy translating!

Paul.

[Edited at 2010-05-05 15:38 GMT]

Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:09
Danish to English
Oink! Oink! May 5, 2010

Americans, American men in particular, are pigs (well, there are of course exceptions).
Eat, eat, eat. First a big fat breakfast, by 9 or 10 am it's coffee break time; more fat food, rolls or pastries, and then a big fat lunch. Afternoon coffee break, with some more snacks, and then home to a big dinner, and more snacks at night. The mouth never stops.
I have not eaten lunch in over 25 years. I just got sick of this dependency on always being able to shovel food into my mouth. One cup of coffee in the morning, and then water only until supper at 6pm. I never get hungry during the day.
I feel an enormous sense of freedom when I travel because I can go all day without even thinking about food. When I travel with colleagues they are aways focussed on where they can get coffee, or snacks, or where to have lunch.
Look at the average American man; he looks like he is "due" in two months, if not sooner.
The alarming health statistics tell a clear story of the consequences of this lifestyle.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The contents of my fridge/kitchen cupboards

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search