https://www.proz.com/forum/health_and_lifestyle_for_language_professionals/197470-sitting_all_day_is_worse_for_your_health_than_you_think_debout.html

Sitting all day is worse for your health than you think! Debout!
Thread poster: Johanne Trudeau
Johanne Trudeau
Johanne Trudeau  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:19
English to French
Apr 25, 2011

This article from NPR is a must-read for all translators out there. Because we all know how many hours we can spend in front of our computer!

Article intéressant à lire absolument, surtout pas les traducteurs. Dieu sait combien nous pouvons passer de longues heures devant notre écran
... See more
This article from NPR is a must-read for all translators out there. Because we all know how many hours we can spend in front of our computer!

Article intéressant à lire absolument, surtout pas les traducteurs. Dieu sait combien nous pouvons passer de longues heures devant notre écran! Bonne lecture!

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/25/135575490/sitting-all-day-worse-for-you-than-you-might-think?sc=fb&cc=fp
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 00:19
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Precisely. Apr 25, 2011

.. A physiatrist told me that if I engaged in exercising three of four times a week lasting for an hour or two, it wouldn't do much for me at all, in case I spend the rest of the time sitting down.

A much more efficient form of exercises for us sitting long hours would be:

1. doing exercises each day for 15-30 minutes
2. Getting up at least once in 30 minutes walking around for 5-10 minutes (crucial for blood flow and circulation, and it all starts from the vascul
... See more
.. A physiatrist told me that if I engaged in exercising three of four times a week lasting for an hour or two, it wouldn't do much for me at all, in case I spend the rest of the time sitting down.

A much more efficient form of exercises for us sitting long hours would be:

1. doing exercises each day for 15-30 minutes
2. Getting up at least once in 30 minutes walking around for 5-10 minutes (crucial for blood flow and circulation, and it all starts from the vascular level)
3. minimize sitting. moving your legs and feet while sitting ( inducing circulation), keeping your knees above the hip level while sitting ( this is automatic if you wear higher heels).

If you sit for 3-4 hours continuously, then go on walking or exercising for 2 hours, what you will get is stiffness from sitting and muscle inflammation from exercises which will block the blood flow again.

[Edited at 2011-04-25 13:30 GMT]
Collapse

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:19
Italian to English
Can't sit any more Apr 25, 2011

I have worked out two alternate regimes that work fine for me because I just can't sit that long any more (age is beginning to show).

Version 1:
I set my cell phone alarm for 1 hour ahead and start to work. When it rings I press snooze (it will ring again in 5 minutes) and get up and do 5 minuts on a minin hydraulic step. when it rings again I let it ring (it will ring for 20 seconds and then again for 20 seconts) and during this 40 seconds I stretch. Then I settle back down t
... See more
I have worked out two alternate regimes that work fine for me because I just can't sit that long any more (age is beginning to show).

Version 1:
I set my cell phone alarm for 1 hour ahead and start to work. When it rings I press snooze (it will ring again in 5 minutes) and get up and do 5 minuts on a minin hydraulic step. when it rings again I let it ring (it will ring for 20 seconds and then again for 20 seconts) and during this 40 seconds I stretch. Then I settle back down to work and set the alarm for the next hour. Actually when I started this I thought it would take time out - after all, by the end of the day I have done an hour's worth of exercise. Buat actually that 5 minute break each hour give me more energy and when I start up again I actually work faster.

Version 2:
I have set a crate on my desk and set the keyboard on top of that and work standing up. In this case My exercise regime is exactly the opposite. When the hour is up I sit on my exercise bike (Ihave the type with a chair incorporated) and pedal for 5-10 minutes. Then it's back to the desk.

Then when rereading I usually do this work standing and wiggling about. Good thing I work by myself (I could never do this in an office with others). But for all you free-lancers out there, these suggestions may be helpful.
Collapse

Valdelane Clayton (X)
Valdelane Clayton (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:19
English to Portuguese
Desk Salutations Apr 25, 2011

I wrote about sitting for long hours and how to counteract the effects. Please check my blog out at :

http://www.legalbrazil.biz/blog

Alison Sabedoria (X)
Alison Sabedoria (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Inefficiency can be good for you! Apr 26, 2011

My workspace is laid out so that, although I have one big dictionary on the desk, I have to get up regularly to consult other books on a separate table or on the window sill. I have more dictionaries and files on a shelf that I can't reach from sitting down.

At the moment I also have a goose that is a persistent escapologist, off down the lane several times a day after the dandelions along the verge. Keeping an eye on her this week has kept me on my toes. I've just delivered a huge
... See more
My workspace is laid out so that, although I have one big dictionary on the desk, I have to get up regularly to consult other books on a separate table or on the window sill. I have more dictionaries and files on a shelf that I can't reach from sitting down.

At the moment I also have a goose that is a persistent escapologist, off down the lane several times a day after the dandelions along the verge. Keeping an eye on her this week has kept me on my toes. I've just delivered a huge project, so this afternoon I can get on with mending the fence!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sitting all day is worse for your health than you think! Debout!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »