How to Quit Smoking Without Going Bankrupt? I Need Hints
Thread poster: Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Ricardy Ricot
Ricardy Ricot  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:40
French to English
+ ...
Some suggestions Oct 18, 2012

Dear Haluk, I have not been in this situation, but I have a few suggestion. Go to the gym regularly (while not smoking). Do cardio! Like every other day (not every day, doesn't work). Working out can help clear your mind and give you your creativity back. I have this impression that being frustrated for no reason has something to do with excess energy. So, working it out is a good option. When you feel frustrated, take a walk. Try simple pleasure. Go to the park or just take a walk around your n... See more
Dear Haluk, I have not been in this situation, but I have a few suggestion. Go to the gym regularly (while not smoking). Do cardio! Like every other day (not every day, doesn't work). Working out can help clear your mind and give you your creativity back. I have this impression that being frustrated for no reason has something to do with excess energy. So, working it out is a good option. When you feel frustrated, take a walk. Try simple pleasure. Go to the park or just take a walk around your neighborhood. Or maybe biking (bicycle). You could also spend some time with people you appreciate. Family or friends. Or work on some project that you feel is worth it. Try to find something that gives meaning to your life (not implying that your life doesn't have meaning).
In my case, I have gone through some pretty tough periods in my life. But I exercise regularly and it makes me a happy person. Just three days ago, I was hyper and felt very creative after running for 17 minutes at 4.5mi/hr (too bad the gym was closing then and I couldn't run for longer). You could also give yourself a challenging goal to accomplish, like running a marathon or half marathon. Hopefully, that would help you keep focused.
Yasutomo, smoking is really bad for your health and even worse for non-smokers around you who are casually exposed to it. It gives lung cancer, hypertension, COPD, etc.
Theo, I like your scientific approach to it
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:40
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
A story Oct 19, 2012

Please note: I do not plan and I do not want to quit smoking. I like my cigarettes. I am picky and I only smoke one particular kind of imported tobacco, I roll each cigarette carefully with a little machine and when I go out, I carry them in an antique, engraved silver cigarette case and light them with an equally ancient Zippo. This little cult is a part of me. I don't like my husband's cigarettes - when I am out of tobacco, I simply don't smoke.

A while ago I visited the Portland
... See more
Please note: I do not plan and I do not want to quit smoking. I like my cigarettes. I am picky and I only smoke one particular kind of imported tobacco, I roll each cigarette carefully with a little machine and when I go out, I carry them in an antique, engraved silver cigarette case and light them with an equally ancient Zippo. This little cult is a part of me. I don't like my husband's cigarettes - when I am out of tobacco, I simply don't smoke.

A while ago I visited the Portland Naturopathic Teaching Clinic for some other reasons, and for the first time in my life I received an acupuncture treatment. I was wondering why they told me not to drive, not to work, not even to take the bus afterwards and to go home immediately. My husband was supposed to drive me. OK. They stuck a lot of needles into me (I lost track with counting at needle #25), starting from my feet, covering legs, belly, face and ears. I must have looked like a cactus or like Pinhead, leader of the Cenobites in the movie Hellraiser. After 40 minutes in a quiet, darkened room they took the needles out, and I was allowed to call my husband to pick me up. I could neither walk nor speak properly and the latter at a maximum speed of 10 words/minute. We had to go grocery shopping though, I got lost in the supermarket and my husband had to find me like a little child.

Here comes the relevant part:

While I was waiting for my husband outside the clinic in the sun, I lit the usual cigarette. And spat it out after one drag. What on earth is THIS? That burnt stuff tastes disgusting!! I tossed the cigarette immediately and I COULD NOT SMOKE for the next two days and a half.

I called the clinic the next morning and asked about this odd reaction. They laughed and informed me that the needles in my ear were to stop me from smoking, even if the topic tobacco has never been discussed at any time and they did not tell me on purpose.

That's the power of acupuncture. It blew my mind.

Note: Because the doctor left the clinic to work and teach at an even larger clinic in NYC a few days after this incredible experience, I never went back and tried my luck with various other acupuncturists that were closer to my home to save time on commute and such. Forget it. It is important that:
- The doctor must be a certified Master in Acupuncture
- Don't trust acupuncturists who use plastic tubes to set the needles
- They play tacky, soothing Asian music? Run!!
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 21:40
English to Czech
+ ...
30 a day to 0 Oct 19, 2012

On a lighter note: quitting is easy – I've quitted at least twenty times.

Anyways, my wife bought me an e-cigarette in February this year. I was a sceptic at first, then gave it a try and threw my last pack of cigarettes away.

The Pros

• Most probably less damaging to your health than regular cigarettes (stopped coughing within two weeks)
    ... See more
On a lighter note: quitting is easy – I've quitted at least twenty times.

Anyways, my wife bought me an e-cigarette in February this year. I was a sceptic at first, then gave it a try and threw my last pack of cigarettes away.

The Pros

• Most probably less damaging to your health than regular cigarettes (stopped coughing within two weeks)
  • Cheaper
  • You have a great choice regarding nicotine content (0 mg, 6 mg, 12 mg, 18 mg, 24 mg, and 36 mg per 1 mL of e-liquid)
  • Wide choice of flavours
  • You never stink of cigarettes

The Cons

• Not yet tried over longer periods, i.e. no studies on the effects of e-cigarettes on human health available
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:40
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Another formerly smelly ex-smoker Oct 20, 2012

The fact that you smell horrible might help you to stop.

You are addicted to a drug. You need to kick a habit that's killing you. I have watched two female friends die slowly and horribly from emphysema. Is that how you want to die?

Nobody else is going to stop smoking for you. There's no amount of money you can pay that will stop you smoking.

It won't cost you anything to stop smoking. It will SAVE you money - because you won't be buying any more cigarette
... See more
The fact that you smell horrible might help you to stop.

You are addicted to a drug. You need to kick a habit that's killing you. I have watched two female friends die slowly and horribly from emphysema. Is that how you want to die?

Nobody else is going to stop smoking for you. There's no amount of money you can pay that will stop you smoking.

It won't cost you anything to stop smoking. It will SAVE you money - because you won't be buying any more cigarettes.

And when you do stop, nobody will congratulate you - because you've simply stopped doing something really stupid. So don't expect bells to ring or wonderful music to play. You will have achieved absolutely nothing.

The tobacco multinationals are especially interested in getting young women addicted. The use of cigarettes in movies, lit up by stars at key moments in the plot, is well documented. Scarlett Johanssen (for example) gets a lot of money for doing it. The idea that smoking is part of being a young, beautiful, intelligent woman can be very attractive when it's presented on screen.

They like to focus on young women because once addicted, a young woman will worry that she may put on weight if she ever stops.

They're out to get you and they will kill you if necessary, so long as they get your money.

So do you want to know how to stop smoking?

Stop.

And then declare war on the people who are working 24/7 to get people addicted.

Read up about how much oxygen your heart needs to do its work of pumping, or how much oxygen is required by your blood and what happens if you damage the surface of your lungs.

Read up about what's going into your blood if you smoke, and how it gets pumped all round your body, including into your teeth, etc.

Spend some time exploring these websites:

http://www.smokefreemovies.ucsf.edu
http://tinyurl.com/8araqzz

I was recently asked to do a translating job that consisted of a set of market research questions asking people what their favourite cigarettes were, how they felt about the packaging, the taste, etc. and what might convince them to switch to a different brand.

I refused to do that translation. I'm not going to help those b******s !

[Edited at 2012-10-20 10:17 GMT]
Collapse

Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu
Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh"
Türkiye
Local time: 22:40
Turkish to English
+ ...
How to quit smoking cigarette/YOU CAN DO IT AS YOU SEE Apr 16, 2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ogab3r_P8w
http://turkishenglishtranslator.com/ To quit smoking is possible only by reducing the acidity of our body. what increases our body acidty :
1)throw the negative feelings from your brain which keeps you self-confident and prevents nervousness,st
... See more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ogab3r_P8w
http://turkishenglishtranslator.com/ To quit smoking is possible only by reducing the acidity of our body. what increases our body acidty :
1)throw the negative feelings from your brain which keeps you self-confident and prevents nervousness,stress causing the body acidity.
2)Refined foods and too much consumption of meat : increases the acidty of our body.By consuming natural foods and les meat your body will be balanced and will not need to smoke

After passing to natural nutrition we must quit smoking very slowly.Firstly you must determine a base amount.E.G.You must smoke everyday 15 cigarettes(or 20) for a week. After that you will decrease the number always one by one.E.G. next week everyday you will smoke 14 cigarettes.Quiting cigarette is also hard psychologically therefore you must be very patient and let your body adapt to the new amount both physically and psychologically and try to avoid yourself being effected from the side effects of quitting smoking .So each week by decreasing you can come to your last cigarette and then you begin to smoke 1 in 2 weeks then,1 cigarette in one month and then you can quit completely.You must not forget that after this period of 3-4 month quiting process you will gain 10 years added to your life .
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ha ha Apr 17, 2014

Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh" wrote:

we must quit smoking very slowly.

Not possible. When you stop, you stop. There's no way to stop smoking slowly. If you keep on smoking, kidding yourself that you're "stopping slowly", that only means one thing: you haven't stopped smoking. You smoke. You're a smoker.

Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu
Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh"
Türkiye
Turkish to English
+ ...
If you stop suddenly Apr 17, 2014

It will have many bad side effects. You must gradually quit. One by one. YOU CANNOT BEAT TWENTY PEOPLE AT THE SAME TIME BUT YOU CAN BEAT ONE. So you determine a starting number, say 20 cigarettes. You smoke 20 (not less not more) every day for one week. So each week by decreasing you can come to your last cigarette and then you begin to smoke 1 in 2 weeks then,1 cigarette in one month and then you can quit completely. Quiting cigarette is also hard psychologically therefore you must let your bo... See more
It will have many bad side effects. You must gradually quit. One by one. YOU CANNOT BEAT TWENTY PEOPLE AT THE SAME TIME BUT YOU CAN BEAT ONE. So you determine a starting number, say 20 cigarettes. You smoke 20 (not less not more) every day for one week. So each week by decreasing you can come to your last cigarette and then you begin to smoke 1 in 2 weeks then,1 cigarette in one month and then you can quit completely. Quiting cigarette is also hard psychologically therefore you must let your body adapt to the new amount both physically and psychologically.Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ha ha Apr 18, 2014

Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh" wrote:

It will have many bad side effects. You must gradually quit. One by one. YOU CANNOT BEAT TWENTY PEOPLE AT THE SAME TIME BUT YOU CAN BEAT ONE. So you determine a starting number, say 20 cigarettes. You smoke 20 (not less not more) every day for one week. So each week by decreasing you can come to your last cigarette and then you begin to smoke 1 in 2 weeks then,1 cigarette in one month and then you can quit completely. Quiting cigarette is also hard psychologically therefore you must let your body adapt to the new amount both physically and psychologically.

Yes, I tried that too. I could probably write a book entitled "A hundred ways to stop smoking without stopping smoking".

In the end I realised that the only way to stop was....to stop.

I stopped.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I agree with Tom Apr 18, 2014

I went from a pack a day to zero, in one day. Once you want to stop, it's easy. If you don't want to stop, well, that's another matter...

Michael

Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Watchtower advice on how to quit smoking Apr 18, 2014

Alain Alameddine wrote:
I would strongly recommend this series of articles in the May 2011 issue of Awake!, the world's second most distributed magazine, issued by Jehovah's Witnesses:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53768606/How%20to%20Quit%20Smoking%20-%20May%202010%20issue%20of%20Awake!%20issued%20by%20Jehovah's%20Witnesses.doc

It discusses:
- How smoking is a false friend
- How we can strengthen our motivation to quit
- How we can seek out help
- How we can prepare for the hurdles
- How we can win!

It is also available online in other languages, just look for it on http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/h/r1/lp-e[/quote]

There's also a recent issue of the Watchtower, the world's most popular periodical, on the subject. Here's the link: http://www.jw.org/download/?issue=20140601&output=html&pub=wp&fileformat=PDF&alllangs=0&langwritten=E&txtCMSLang=E&isBible=0

And please don't hesitate to contact me directly!

Alain Alameddine

[Edited at 2014-04-18 21:03 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: The poster contacted me to say this was his first post and he made a mistake. He'd like us to hide this.
Volkmar Golembusch
Volkmar Golembusch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:40
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
Mindfulness Sep 21, 2014

Hi,

I have been struggling with the same issue for many years.

I think it is mainly mental, when I quit it is usually when I feel well, calm and relaxed, However, with an increasing workload, I found this state more and more difficult to achieve.

Even when I am on a holiday, there is a constant stream of "work thoughts" running in the background of my mind. Friends who work in the same or related sectors told me about the same problem - 24/7/365 mental ava
... See more
Hi,

I have been struggling with the same issue for many years.

I think it is mainly mental, when I quit it is usually when I feel well, calm and relaxed, However, with an increasing workload, I found this state more and more difficult to achieve.

Even when I am on a holiday, there is a constant stream of "work thoughts" running in the background of my mind. Friends who work in the same or related sectors told me about the same problem - 24/7/365 mental availability.

I have been looking into relaxation and meditation techniques, and so far meditation and mindfulness have really helped. There are some books and article on mindfulness for people who spend a lot of time at their computer, e.g. Soren Gordhammer "Wisdom 2.0".

There are some special exercises for smokers - but this would turn this thread into meditation workshop

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Volkmar
Collapse

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
There is no easy way, but the Hard way is actually Easy Jun 1, 2016

I concur 100% with what Allen Carr says in his book, "the easy way to stop smoking".

I stopped smoking 8 years ago cold turkey. Cold Turkey is absolutely the only way to go if you are an addict and you sound like one from your original post. That means no nicotine in any form, ever. Leave it all behind, the patches, the e-cigs, the snuff, the chewing tobacco, the cigar at Christmas, the pipe, the shisha, the lot. No exceptions, ever.

Once you remove the possibility of
... See more
I concur 100% with what Allen Carr says in his book, "the easy way to stop smoking".

I stopped smoking 8 years ago cold turkey. Cold Turkey is absolutely the only way to go if you are an addict and you sound like one from your original post. That means no nicotine in any form, ever. Leave it all behind, the patches, the e-cigs, the snuff, the chewing tobacco, the cigar at Christmas, the pipe, the shisha, the lot. No exceptions, ever.

Once you remove the possibility of a vague hope of nicotine in the future at some point from your mind, you have made a massive break from the addiction. This does not have to happen right away though.

Then the physical addiction goes inside one week, maybe less. And it isn't that bad. It really isn't. The concentration is a bit hard, but I would suggest maybe timing it with a holiday in which you are quite physically active.

The personality change you mention is tough, I admit that. However this goes after about 4 months. 4 months and you are in the clear, provided you've not left any door open in your mind to access nicotine and yes, stop sitting in the smoking area inhaling wistfully - we can all see you...

When I say 4 months and in the clear I really mean it, and to be honest you stop thinking about it after a couple of weeks.

The great thing about the Allen Car approach is that you can keep smoking while you read the book, as long as you don't stop the book.

I personally just did a Cold Turkey and picked up Allen Carr's book on about day 2 and read the first couple of chapters and realised that what he was saying matched my experience and I never looked back. Prior to the Cold Turkey however, I had bought a large quantity of cheap duty free tobacco. Someone said "why don't you give up at the end of that lot?" It stuck in my mind (the back of it, of course, and it didn't feel like an immediate threat to my favourite thing in the world) and I proceeded to smoke my way through about 4 or 5 months' worth. On my last pouch the question loomed and it just so happened that my last grains of tobacco coincided with going to bed. I hadn't bought more for the morning and just gave it a try.

I was also motivated by a marked improvement in my asthma (yes stupid addict here) and the disappearance of my 20-minute phlegm-filled rasping coughing fit first thing in the morning, having wheezed all night and puffed on my inhaler. This all within a few days too. I was surprised to learn the doctors were right after all and that smoking is bad for your asthma, general breathing and lungs. It was almost miraculous to be able to breath again.

I will also state that I wasn't an occasional smoker. I rolled my own and was chain smoking - either rolling or smoking almost constantly. I even developed a typing technique that stopped me spilling too mush ash about the place. So I went from 30 odd a day to nothing. I was an out and out addict, it was the love of my life, my emotional support, my identity, my everything. So if I can do it so can you.

[Edited at 2016-06-01 10:39 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to Quit Smoking Without Going Bankrupt? I Need Hints

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »