Solving the problems of a sedentary lifestyle...
Thread poster: Tina Colquhoun

Tina Colquhoun  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:35
Danish to English
+ ...
Jan 30, 2013

Maybe this is an idea?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21076461

Direct link Reply with quote

Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:35
Russian to English
+ ...
Let's take it one step further Jan 30, 2013

Here's a more advanced, greener idea: use a pedal-powered generator to charge your notebook battery. If you stop pedalling for too long - sorry, no more work.

Anne Pinaglia
Netherlands
Member (2011)
Italian to English
+ ...
Only for the coordinated! Jan 30, 2013

I just have a feeling I'd be on the floor within five minutes and somehow have also managed to lose my entire translation.

Anne

DCM Linguistics  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
This has been around for years Jan 30, 2013

But I find there's nothing better than getting some fresh air for 30 minutes a day or doing 30 minutes a day of yoga, cardio or zumba and so on in the living room. The Fitness Channel on TV is excellent for that. There are quite a few YouTube fitness channels as well.

Gym fees ar not an excuse anymore

Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Freestyle jump-roping Jan 30, 2013

Workouts using a skipping rope. Inexpensive, can be done anywhere, you can even use the handles minus the rope if you don't have much head room

Burns up to 1000 calories an hour, apparently....

http://www.ropesport.com.au/faq.php

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Get a dog Jan 30, 2013

I got a dog when I started to notice aches and pains. I walk every day for an hour or more. We now have 2 dogs and not only are they good for exercise, they make you laugh every day. I get my inspiration when walking in the fresh air. I've solved many a translation issue while out and about looking at wildlife. A bit more expensive than joining the gym though.

Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Recent research... Jan 31, 2013

...seems, unfortunately, to suggest that sitting down for eight hours and then going to the gym for an hour is not enough. It is the long periods of sitting still that are detrimental to your health - no matter how much you exercise you then do subsequently...

Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
This was discussed in a previous forum, Jan 31, 2013

Tina Colquhoun wrote:

Maybe this is an idea?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21076461

probably within the last year or two, but I don't have the time to go find it. As I recall, at least one ProZian has rigged up a desk and a treadmill on their own.

Edited to eliminate original poster's misunderstanding... I'm not complaining about this being discussed previously, just pointing it out in case anyone is interested in this sort of desk, and would like to make their own...

[Edited at 2013-01-31 10:10 GMT]

Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's not about the desk... Jan 31, 2013

...which is impractical and silly, but about reiterating how damaging a sedentary lifestyle can be.

And, anyway, if not repeating anything were the criterion for posting on Proz, there wouldn't be much on this website, would there?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Solving the problems of a sedentary lifestyle...

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search