Corona quarantine diary
Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson

Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:52
Member (2012)
French to English
A yearly thing? Mar 16

According to the UK Government's chief scientific officer, this virus is likely to come back year after year. Is social isolation to be the new way of life for months every year? I can't see how the economy will recover if that is the case.

[Edited at 2020-03-16 10:54 GMT]

Maciek Drobka

Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Member (2014)
Danish to English
+ ...
Masks Mar 16

Fisher Deng wrote:

In China, everyone is equipped with masks and we're not allowed to enter any public places if no mask. High-standard masks are preferred, such as N95 and surgical masks, and people are educated to wear masks in an effective way, from the way of putting on and putting down to how often the masks should be replaced, which minimizes the unfiltered edges and risks of getting polluted. Facts proved it works! By far, many provinces in China have continued to achieve zero growth in new cases for days, and contribution of masks is without any doubt.

I'm not qualified in medicine, but all the advice I've seen outside China is that masks are not effective. See for example this article, which refers to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): https://time.com/5794729/coronavirus-face-masks/

I know China made it mandatory to use masks, but that doesn't mean it's based on scientific advice. It's probably more of a habit in Asia, which we usually don't see in the West. Remember that the Chinese authorities also bullied the first doctor to warn about this virus. Why would they do that if they only based their decisions on science?

The mask obligation looks more like a political decision.

I have not seen any facts that proved that masks worked. It seems more likely that it is the draconian restrictions on movement that worked.

But if you can point us to any articles based on scientific facts and medical advice that recommends masks, it would be appreciated.

Member (2014)
Danish to English
+ ...
Vaccine Mar 16

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

According to the UK Government's chief scientific officer, this virus is likely to come back year after year. Is social isolation to be the new way of life for months every year?

Hopefully a vaccine will be developed and included in the annual flu shot. A flu can cost a lot of money for a freelancer, so I've been vaccinated the last 20 years (and not had the flu since).

Angie Garbarino

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Monday Mar 16

Monday 16 March:

Didn’t go out running. The news last night showed footage of a female jogger intercepted by the police down in Madrid or somewhere, and shooed off home. I have a home exercise plan anyway, which may or may not include walking up and down the stairs repeatedly (fourth floor). Two birds with one stone, (1) the exercise and (2) not using the death trap that our lift most likely is by now. And during the day, too, so I don’t have to touch the time-delay light switch
... See more
Monday 16 March:

Didn’t go out running. The news last night showed footage of a female jogger intercepted by the police down in Madrid or somewhere, and shooed off home. I have a home exercise plan anyway, which may or may not include walking up and down the stairs repeatedly (fourth floor). Two birds with one stone, (1) the exercise and (2) not using the death trap that our lift most likely is by now. And during the day, too, so I don’t have to touch the time-delay light switch on the landings either.

Our neighbours said yesterday (via Radio Balcony) their Scottish terrier is available for general proxy “walking”! Even if they were serious, though, you would undertake the obligation of having to throw them down some bog roll in return further down the line. All this talk about toilet rolls is making me paranoid. I even counted them yesterday. Should have enough. But how many are enough? Most of Venezuela has done without them for a year or so now. What is it with toilet rolls? A WhatsApp’s doing the rounds with a suggestion for broccoli as a last-resort substitute. They admit it rasps more than the see-through squares with nasty dots and flecks and bits you might expect to find in a Pyongyang inner city tenement, and of course the clumps tend to break off. No test-drive pictures, thankfully.

Is it just my imagination, or are the Internet and messages and systems in general getting clunkier, maybe because traffic volumes have skyrocketed?

There was a car going around this morning with a PA crackling some message or other, like during the elections, but I couldn’t make out if they were saying “Keep off the streets, everyone”, “Use toilet paper responsibly”, “Broccoli half price all week” or “Vote PNV”.

Another job just in – guess what the subject is? Yes, Covid 19. Big business is getting flustered. Won’t be long before they have Coronavirus Departments.
Collapse

philgoddard
Liviu-Lee Roth
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman

Member (2014)
Danish to English
+ ...
Hysterical Mar 16

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

The news last night showed footage of a female jogger intercepted by the police down in Madrid or somewhere, and shooed off home.

Seems completely hysterical. The thing is to avoid contact with other people, but how would running in fresh air endanger anyone? That sort of restriction will just make people more hysterical than they are already.

Laura Kingdon
philgoddard
Kay Denney

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
As Anthony said .. Mar 16

... when the good weather came along in Italy, people started jogging, and greeting each other, crowds formed etc. and one thing led to another. It's raining here now, but by Wednesday it will have cleared up, so the temptation is there.

Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
You either enforce it or you don't Mar 16

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

The news last night showed footage of a female jogger intercepted by the police down in Madrid or somewhere, and shooed off home.

Seems completely hysterical. The thing is to avoid contact with other people, but how would running in fresh air endanger anyone? That sort of restriction will just make people more hysterical than they are already.

No. The point is to enforce the lockdown. If they do not enforce it now (even if it feels silly and over the top) then they might just as well forget about the whole thing and end the quarantine.

If that jogger is allowed to enjoy the park, then a few parents with their children should be allowed in the park as well. And those pensioners sitting in the sun for a chat. And if they can sit in the park then why not a cafe or a bar. And so on. That defeats the whole purpose of the lockdown.

Sabrina Bruna
Wout Van den Broeck
Angie Garbarino
Andrew Morris
Anna Gorska
Tina Vonhof
Fabíola Medeiros

María Paula Gorgone  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2018)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Freelance life Mar 16

RobinB wrote:

Yolande Hivart wrote:
I have heard that on some shops they have been running out of toilet paper for one week now. I was surprised to see that they were running out of fruits and vegetables too. People had been shopping so massively that one had to fight to get the last carrots or patatoes (and i am not talking about things like bananas, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, apples, pears...all gone).

I was in my local HEB supermarket here in Austin, Texas, this afternoon (one of the best supermarket chains, anywhere), and there were empty aisles where toilet paper, kitchen rolls, canned fruit and veg, prepacked bread, butter(!), eggs, fresh fruit juices, pasta and rice, canned soups and ramen are normally found. Little meat, either. Luckily I wasn't shopping for any of those products. There was still fresh bread, and absolutely no problem with fresh fruit and veg (which maybe says something about the typical diet here).

I think it's mainly a supply chain issue. It's not that there's a real shortage of any of those products, just that the suppliers can't keep up with this demand spike. Almost all the toilet paper and kitchen rolls sold in the US are manufactured in North America, for example, with only a small proportion of the bulk paper used to make the products being imported from Asia. And almost all basic foods are produced in North America

We had panic buying here a couple of weeks ago, and the shops restocked quite quickly after that, so it will probably be the same this time. And now they're rationing plenty of goods, which they couldn't do earlier for political reasons.

Same experience in my local HEB (I'm in College Station, just a few hours from Austin)... I really could not get why people got so crazy about the toilet paper, and why stores were not putting a limit to how many you could buy. (I'm not from the USA, I'm only here for a year, actually, I am supposed to move back home to Norway in the end of April, talk about timing...) Now it makes a bit more sense from what you say.

My social media and communication apps have experienced a peak of articles such as "How to survive working from home", "Tips on how to work from home and keep a routine", etc... At least that's ONE thing we freelancers don't have to adapt to, I guess.

Member (2014)
Danish to English
+ ...
Sensible measures Mar 16

[quote]Thomas Pfann wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

No. The point is to enforce the lockdown. If they do not enforce it now (even if it feels silly and over the top) then they might just as well forget about the whole thing and end the quarantine.

If that jogger is allowed to enjoy the park, then a few parents with their children should be allowed in the park as well. And those pensioners sitting in the sun for a chat. And if they can sit in the park then why not a cafe or a bar. And so on. That defeats the whole purpose of the lockdown.

There is a very major difference between being in open air and in a confined space in a cafe – particularly if it's a lone jogger.

I'm all for sensible precautions, and perhaps banning outdoor activities are more necessary in some cultures than others.

But fresh air and sunlight are generally beneficial in the fight against illness, so overly draconian bans could be counterproductive.

Mind you, some such bans may be intended to make it look as if the governments act decisively – after they had failed to take timely precautions. European countries have generally waited until the virus had spread before doing anything. It would have been more effective to act before the virus had spread.

Kay Denney

Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Then change the rules for all, not let each of us decide which rules we want to follow Mar 16

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
There is a very major difference between being in open air and in a confined space in a cafe – particularly if it's a lone jogger.

I'm all for sensible precautions, and perhaps banning outdoor activities are more necessary in some cultures than others.

But fresh air and sunlight are generally beneficial in the fight against illness, so overly draconian bans could be counterproductive.

Mind you, some such bans may be intended to make it look as if the governments act decisively – after they had failed to take timely precautions. European countries have generally waited until the virus had spread before doing anything. It would have been more effective to act before the virus had spread.

Yep. I agree with all of this. Nothing of it has anything to do with the lone jogger being expelled from the park, though.

María Paula Gorgone

The Misha
Local time: 10:52
Russian to English
+ ...
I mean, really, folks, what's all this business about toilet paper? Mar 16

It's not like that damn bug makes you p...p double or triple, right?

Back at the time when I was still growing up unhappily in the workers' and peasants' paradise, there was this ever-popular joke about entire rail car loads of toilet paper disappearing without a trace here and there because it was purportedly used as an ingredient in cheap bologna sausage. Which, they claimed, was the reason why there was never enough toilet paper to be had and the sausage was so lousy. In all fair
... See more
It's not like that damn bug makes you p...p double or triple, right?

Back at the time when I was still growing up unhappily in the workers' and peasants' paradise, there was this ever-popular joke about entire rail car loads of toilet paper disappearing without a trace here and there because it was purportedly used as an ingredient in cheap bologna sausage. Which, they claimed, was the reason why there was never enough toilet paper to be had and the sausage was so lousy. In all fairness though, it had never been proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

Now, you think everyone suddenly took to sausage making?:)))))))))

Lighten up, everyone! Most of us WILL live through it, and toilet paper will stage a resounding comeback too. Methink the real moment of our collective undoing will be when we can no longer stomach a joke about whatever it is that's going down.

Good luck to everyone. Wash your hands often - and make your lemonade. I mean, sausage!:)))

[Edited at 2020-03-16 14:51 GMT]
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
P.L.F.Persio

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Herd immunity Mar 16

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

According to the UK Government's chief scientific officer, this virus is likely to come back year after year. Is social isolation to be the new way of life for months every year? I can't see how the economy will recover if that is the case.

[Edited at 2020-03-16 10:54 GMT]

No expert here, but as far as I understand it, a recurring virus is far less dangerous. By next year, a large part of the population will already have gone through the disease and are likely to be immune. The number of infected people will be much smaller. This means more safety for non-immune persons, too. The lower number of cases means that the situation will be much less likely to significantly stress healthcare systems.

All this is even before any drugs or vaccines are ready for the market. Think of it as just another - albeit slightly more dangerous - form of the yearly flu: Still dangerous, but quite manageable.

Mervyn Henderson

IrinaN
United States
Local time: 09:52
English to Russian
+ ...
True state of things Mar 16

Mother Nature produced a slightest grin, no wider than Mona Lisa's, and look what the mankind (oh my, by all means, womenkind included is reduced to in the middle of the 21st century.

It's viruses, not money and not humans, who are on top of the food chain. Today it's a small-scale exercise compared to what can happen if She unleashes her might for real some day. Stockpiling weapons, be it on a personal or government
... See more
Mother Nature produced a slightest grin, no wider than Mona Lisa's, and look what the mankind (oh my, by all means, womenkind included is reduced to in the middle of the 21st century.

It's viruses, not money and not humans, who are on top of the food chain. Today it's a small-scale exercise compared to what can happen if She unleashes her might for real some day. Stockpiling weapons, be it on a personal or government level, toilet paper and Ramen noodles will not help much.
Collapse

Richard Purdom
Liviu-Lee Roth
Cécile Kellermayr
Nathalie Bullen

IrinaN
United States
Local time: 09:52
English to Russian
+ ...
I didn't panic myself into a doomsday :-) Mar 16

However furious I might be at the moment over all my spring/summer plans crumbling away faster than a shortbread biscuit.

What I am trying to say is that if this lesson will not be enough to think about re-distribution of global resources to peaceful science, education and protection of the entire human race, then Terminator was right: self-destruction is in our nature (and we hardly deserve the planet we live on). Every time I hear "in a wake of" from the big dudes facing global cr
... See more
However furious I might be at the moment over all my spring/summer plans crumbling away faster than a shortbread biscuit.

What I am trying to say is that if this lesson will not be enough to think about re-distribution of global resources to peaceful science, education and protection of the entire human race, then Terminator was right: self-destruction is in our nature (and we hardly deserve the planet we live on). Every time I hear "in a wake of" from the big dudes facing global crises, I'm about to explode. Turn your darn snooze button off!

But I'm a very down-to-earth person and inclined to believe that as soon as this wave flattens, which it sure will, and DOW goes up, we'll be back to square one. Or, maybe, with a vaccine for 1 more nasty thing... out of what? Thousands? Millions? To how many will it be available?
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Cécile Kellermayr

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tuesday 17 March Mar 17

Went out to the supermarket, only two minutes from here. Who should turn up not ten yards from me but Good Cop and Bad Cop ...

“Good morning, sir. Fancy seeing you here”, trilled Bad Cop. And, surely I had to be mistaken, but was that a twinkle in his eye? Had I got them mixed up? No, it was Bad Cop for sure. Something wasn’t right.

Then I noticed that Good Cop (for it was he) was looking me up and down in only thinly veiled disgust:

“Well, well,
... See more
Went out to the supermarket, only two minutes from here. Who should turn up not ten yards from me but Good Cop and Bad Cop ...

“Good morning, sir. Fancy seeing you here”, trilled Bad Cop. And, surely I had to be mistaken, but was that a twinkle in his eye? Had I got them mixed up? No, it was Bad Cop for sure. Something wasn’t right.

Then I noticed that Good Cop (for it was he) was looking me up and down in only thinly veiled disgust:

“Well, well, well, blow me down if it isn’t the Man with the Invisible Dog. Out for walkies with that cheeky little imp? Eagerly relieving himself against a lamp post somewhere, eh? Squeezing one out in the soft earth around a tree? Is that what he’s up to, sir? Is it? Eh? Got a little bag to clean up after him, have we, sir?”

He cast glances all around him.

“Here, boy! Naughty boy! You get back to heel this minute, do you hear me? Off to bed tonight with no Kibbles ‘n’ Bits, is that what you want, me old son?”

He brought his face up to mine. Well, I say that, but really it was still around the regulatory metre and a bit, of course, but close enough for me.

“Er …”, I said. “Weren’t you … aren’t you … weren’t you, mm, Good Cop before?”

The other one put a gloved hand on his arm.

“I’m dreadfully sorry about this, sir,” said Bad Cop, with a wan smile.

Well, I mean Good Cop, I suppose. Or did I? Maybe I was losing the plot. He turned to Good Cop. Or Bad Cop, rather:

“Come on, Iker.”

Good Cop’s shoulders came down, and his features relaxed.

“Well, yes, you see, it’s my turn today. We agreed to take it turn about, Eneko and me. Eneko can handle it – he just toughs up a bit, plays the hard man, and forgets about it later. I’m a normal kind of guy. But I go into overkill when it’s my turn for Bad Cop, me. I just want to kick ten kinds of shit out of anything that moves. They talk about the health service heroes having a bad time. They get applause from the balconies every night at 8 pm. What about us? What about the coppers? What about the rozzers? What about the pigs? What about the filth? What about the bollocks we have to take, day in day out? Even before all this coronavirus stuff. Who has to help all those little old ladies across the road? Who has to tell people what time it is all bloody day long? Who has to move on the winos lying in shop doorways? Who has to wade into a seedy joint full of dangerous crackheads and smackheads smashing the place up, and sort it all out? Who has to take those crumpled torn bodies out of the dumpsters? Who has to knock on the door and tell them someone won’t be coming home from school today? Who has to leap on to the landing gear of a plane just as it takes off, somehow struggle up into the hold, and proceed to take out twenty-odd members of a sinister terrorist organisation all armed to the teeth one by one, ripping the soles of his bare feet to bloody shreds on broken glass as he strangles, stabs and neck-snaps his way through the lot of them, but still with the wherewithal to think up constant deadpan, grim yet vaguely amusing derring-do one-liners to growl into the walkie-talkie to the fat black cop down below at air traffic control? Who has to …?”

“Iker”, said his mate gently, “you’ve got to get a grip on yourself, lad. You don’t want another mandatory six months with the psychologist every day, do you? And you’ve been watching that Die Hard video again, right? You have, haven’t you? I told you about that, didn’t I?”

Iker chewed his lip.

“OK,” he said slowly. “But it’s nearly end of shift now. My turn tomorrow, Eneko. My turn for Good Cop.”

He shrugged.

“I can’t help it. It all started when Sergeant Garmendia* went AWOL ages ago. Garmendia would know what to do.”

“That’s the spirit,” Eneko told him, and turned to me:

“So you aren’t walking the dog that isn’t there, are you, sir?”

“Oh no. I’m going to the supermarket, see if they have any cans of Guinness left. St Patrick’s Day today. Not much chance of making The Wicklow Arms, either. And, as you can see, I’ve got my mask and gloves on, so I’m well protected. But I reckon it’s only a matter of time before I ditch the latex gloves, you know. I only go out once or twice a day to get the paper or buy the odd thing, but they’re getting on my nerves. Definitely beginning to get on my fucking n----s. The plastic ones will do, the ones they always had inside supermarkets and now have at the entrances too, only now they’re mandatory before you go in. As for the mask, once the bloody thing slips a little, you can’t even see what you’re doing. Anyway, officers:

HAPPY ST PATRICK’S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

*I realise not everyone’s going to understand that particular reference, but I just couldn’t resist.

[Edited at 2020-03-17 09:52 GMT]
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corona quarantine diary

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search