How do I set up Wordfast Classic (or another CAT tool) to work with vocalized Hebrew?
Thread poster: Chris Lovelace

Chris Lovelace  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:55
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 8, 2010

How do I set up Wordfast Classic (or another CAT tool) to work with vocalized Hebrew?

Here is my system configuration:

Currently, I am using Wordfast Classic, Windows XP, and Word 2002.

I would like to set up Wordfast (or another CAT tool, if I need to acquire it) to translate the vowel-pointed Hebrew used in one of my two Bible programs: BibleWorks7 or Logos. I have the option to convert the text to Unicode, though this makes it more difficult to read.

I have noticed that Word seems to handle the text better if I set the language to Arabic, though this still sets the (defective) cholem apart (ie, Word treats it as a consonant instead of a vowel point). I would prefer to install Hebrew support that alleviates this issue. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:55
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TagEditor tip Apr 8, 2010

Hi,

I understand that you wish to have the vocalised Hebrew displayed properly in your CAT tool - am I right?

I used TagEditor to translate, from English into Hebrew, several verses from the Old Testament with their vocalisation marks (copy/pasted into the target segment from here*, for example).
They displayed well in TE, and also in the target Word document, with all the vocalisation marks intact.

Not sure whether that helps, but perhaps you can define the problem better: is it Word that you worry about or the CAT tool inside Word?

In any case, I'd recommend extra-Word tools, such as TagEditor.

* http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt3001.htm

[Edited at 2010-04-08 19:26 GMT]

Chris Lovelace  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:55
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about text recognition in Hebrew?... Apr 8, 2010

The display is only part of it, actually...

The big question for me is whether the CAT tool will recognize constructions that are similar in Hebrew, but that have different vowel points. For instance, KaTaB (He wrote, G-Stem Perfect) is vocalized differently from KiTTeB (He wrote down permanently, etc. D-Stem Perfect), which is different from H-stem HiKTiB (He caused to write). In pointed Hebrew, these terms appear to be so different as to likely not even trigger a match, though they all come from KTB.

Now, I do have databases with morphological tags, but it would be very cumbersome to use them in WF, I think.

Is there any way, though, to make this work? Perhaps, with wildcards?...

I've always worked trough texts in the Tanach before the old fashioned way, but since I have to tackle some very lengthy texts in the near future, I'd really like to use the CAT tool(s) I employ daily in my other translation work.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search