Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:37
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Apr 14, 2003

In their infinite wisdom, British Telecommunications plc are not pursuing the issue of broadband availability in rural areas (at least not for the moment). For various reasons, I might be moving back \"home\" to the Yorkshire Dales at the end of the year, and I\'m rather concerned that an enforced reliance on a dial-up connection will be rather inconvenient. If you still have to use a dial-up connection, how do you juggle the necessity of terminology research and e-mailing with the need to keep ... See more
In their infinite wisdom, British Telecommunications plc are not pursuing the issue of broadband availability in rural areas (at least not for the moment). For various reasons, I might be moving back \"home\" to the Yorkshire Dales at the end of the year, and I\'m rather concerned that an enforced reliance on a dial-up connection will be rather inconvenient. If you still have to use a dial-up connection, how do you juggle the necessity of terminology research and e-mailing with the need to keep your phone line free to get those all-important jobs?Collapse

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:37
German to English
+ ...
Phone line Apr 14, 2003

You get a second phone line!

Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Satellite... Apr 14, 2003

Hi,

I read an article yesterday about a woman who lived up in the valleys in Wales, where there\'s also no broadband (I\'m Welsh myself so it stuck in my mind). Hang on...it\'s here somewhere...

\"ADSL or ISDN were unavailable, so Mrs Smith consulted the Welsh Development Agency, which paid for a consultant to help her find a satellite broadband system which downloads at 500kpbs for £110 a month.

For comparison, BT Openworld\'s Busi
... See more
Hi,

I read an article yesterday about a woman who lived up in the valleys in Wales, where there\'s also no broadband (I\'m Welsh myself so it stuck in my mind). Hang on...it\'s here somewhere...

\"ADSL or ISDN were unavailable, so Mrs Smith consulted the Welsh Development Agency, which paid for a consultant to help her find a satellite broadband system which downloads at 500kpbs for £110 a month.

For comparison, BT Openworld\'s Business Satellite (not Mrs Smith\'s provider) charges £899 for equipment and installation plus £59.99 a month fee. See
Collapse

Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
PS Apr 14, 2003

I just checked out this link myself. If you\'re incorporated then it seems you can receive funding from your local development agency, making the costs comparable with ADSL - but for the first year only. http://www.rabbit-broadband.org.uk/index.asp

Alexandru Pojoga
Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 03:37
Japanese to English
+ ...
It's tough. Apr 14, 2003

The biggest problem is not keeping the line free since in my case most jobs come in by e-mail.

It\'s the download speed that on a few occasions actually hampered my ability to do a better job - for instance, Google finds this 20-megabyte PDF with the terminology I need, and downloading it is out of the question.

And waiting 10 seconds for every GDT page to load really adds up as wasted time.

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 02:37
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Tiscali.co.uk Apr 14, 2003

could be a posssibility. They have satellite services.

BR

Mats J C Wiman

Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe

See more
could be a posssibility. They have satellite services.

BR

Mats J C Wiman

Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe

http://www.MatsWiman.com

http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com

http://www.proz.com/translator/1749 Deu>swe Proz.com moderator

eMail: [email protected]

Träsk 201

SE-872 97 Skog

Tel : +46-612-54112

Fax : +46-612-54181

Mobile: +46-70-5769797

Collapse

Kasia Trzcińska-Draper (X)
Kasia Trzcińska-Draper (X)
Polish to English
+ ...
Broadband campaigns Apr 15, 2003

Hi Jeremy,

First of all, I suggest you visit www.adslguide.org.uk. You may know of the site already, but I mention it here just in case - it is, in my opinion, the best independent info source on ADSL in the UK. If the place where you are moving back to is not yet broadband enabled, you should definitely register your interest in ADSL - that\'s how BT are getting the message that people do need the ser
... See more
Hi Jeremy,

First of all, I suggest you visit www.adslguide.org.uk. You may know of the site already, but I mention it here just in case - it is, in my opinion, the best independent info source on ADSL in the UK. If the place where you are moving back to is not yet broadband enabled, you should definitely register your interest in ADSL - that\'s how BT are getting the message that people do need the service which they are supposed to provide. Once there are enough registrations from a given area, they will enable the local exchange. You could also join one of the ongoing campaigns if necessary. More info on http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp?faq=PreReg#Q170

One more thing - if your exchange is already enabled, you do not need to get the service from BT, there are many other providers. Tip: try the \'compare service providers\' button, or read the forums.

Having said all that, have you checked whether cable is available in your area? That\'s another option.

Good luck,

Kasia
Collapse

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Satellite broadband ... Apr 15, 2003

We also live in a very remote area. OK, it\'s in Berkshire, but there are remote bits, honest .

Earlier this year, we had a BT Openworld Satellite Broadband system installed. It never lived up to the service levels promised, was unreliable and often slower than our previous ISDN system.

The satellite experience is in the process of coming to a fairly messy end. The problem is that the technology is untested
... See more
We also live in a very remote area. OK, it\'s in Berkshire, but there are remote bits, honest .

Earlier this year, we had a BT Openworld Satellite Broadband system installed. It never lived up to the service levels promised, was unreliable and often slower than our previous ISDN system.

The satellite experience is in the process of coming to a fairly messy end. The problem is that the technology is untested and unknown, and has been rolled out before it is fully up to the job. Even when working \'properly\', there is a propagation delay which makes it unusable for certain applications.

As ADSL is not available and unlikely to be available at our exchange for at least 5 years, we have taken the plunge and are now having a leased line put in. But this would be extortionate and unjustifiable for a single translator working on their own (I share the premises with my boyfriend\'s business).

So there are no easy solutions, I\'m afraid!

HTH

Mary
Collapse

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Georgian to English
+ ...
(slightly off topic) Broadband & Computer Fax Software Apr 15, 2003

I\'ve been considering making the \"leap\" to broadband for all the reasons above (using Telewest, the cable supplier which is the option in our part of the UK).

I would be grateful for advice or experiences whether there are likely to be problems with my \"in computer\" fax software because of the change (in modem), and if there are, what remedies could be suggested?

[ This Message was edited by: giulik on 2003-04-16 09:03]

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
mobile for phone communications Apr 15, 2003

Hello,

Maybe you could use a mobile phone for phone communications only and use the dial-up system for e-mail and internet coonection. I used to do this when broadband was not available in the very small village where I live in Portugal. Mobile phone is the best for work related issues, even because you can leave the office and keep the phone in your pocket.

Also, please check EU regulations. There are some rules about broadband and it seems Government
... See more
Hello,

Maybe you could use a mobile phone for phone communications only and use the dial-up system for e-mail and internet coonection. I used to do this when broadband was not available in the very small village where I live in Portugal. Mobile phone is the best for work related issues, even because you can leave the office and keep the phone in your pocket.

Also, please check EU regulations. There are some rules about broadband and it seems Governments do have a specified time to implement broadband all over the countries - no matter how remote they are.

Best regards,

Mónica
Collapse

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thankyou Apr 15, 2003

Thanks everybody - some great feedback from a great proz team!

And I\'ve also learnt that there are remote parts of Berkshire

(UK-centric joke there - sorry, international Prozians)

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Georgian to English
+ ...
Broadband and computer fax Apr 16, 2003

In part answer to my question above about whether having broadband alters arrangements to send faxes from computers, Telewest has since told me that: \"Unfortunately you cannot fax over broadband in the same way you can with dial up, in order to send a fax over broadband you will need to setup the service with a fax gateway service provider. Searching for \"fax gateway services\" will provide you with a list of service providers.\"

On the other hand they also say that their
... See more
In part answer to my question above about whether having broadband alters arrangements to send faxes from computers, Telewest has since told me that: \"Unfortunately you cannot fax over broadband in the same way you can with dial up, in order to send a fax over broadband you will need to setup the service with a fax gateway service provider. Searching for \"fax gateway services\" will provide you with a list of service providers.\"

On the other hand they also say that their phone line remains as it was before (if they install broadband) and faxes that used to go via the telephone line can still do so as before, so I guess it\'s alright. I didn\'t realize.

[ This Message was edited by: giulik on 2003-04-16 14:04]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Broadband connections

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »