Can we use our company name on the Homepage even though it's not registered yet?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 17:40
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 27, 2009

I will soon (together with my two Chinese colleagues) publish our Homepage on WWW. I wonder if we can use our company name on the Homepage, even though the company is not registered yet? The form we will use on the Homepage will be "Company name" (without any suffix like .Ltd o... See more
I will soon (together with my two Chinese colleagues) publish our Homepage on WWW. I wonder if we can use our company name on the Homepage, even though the company is not registered yet? The form we will use on the Homepage will be "Company name" (without any suffix like .Ltd or .Inc). The domain is already registered as www.CompanyName.co.uk

Because it will cost a lot to register the type of company we need, to start with, we will not register a company until we have accumulated some money. To invoice our customers, we will use a special credit company that provide this kind of service to us, and pay a small fee for this.

My question is if this will be legally acceptable? As long as we just use the form CompanyName without any suffixes like .Ltd or .Inc?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
In my country, you can Aug 27, 2009

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
I will soon (together with my two Chinese colleagues) publish our Homepage on WWW. I wonder if we can use our company name on the Homepage, even though the company is not registered yet?

In my country, you don't have to register a trade mark at all. But... if you don't register it, and someone else tries to register or succeeds in registering it, the onus is on you to prove that you have been using it first.

Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Could the solution be a new company name on an addon domain? Aug 27, 2009

What about if we register a new domain name, pay for hosting services for one year but at first, we only publish an addon domain with the new domain name?

The question is if any information about the main domain will be visible on this addon domain? Because we will subscribe to the hosting service using the main domain name.

Paul Carmichael
Paul Carmichael  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
More info- well, clearer Aug 27, 2009

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

What about if we register a new domain name, pay for hosting services for one year but at first, we only publish an addon domain with the new domain name?

The question is if any information about the main domain will be visible on this addon domain? Because we will subscribe to the hosting service using the main domain name.

What's an "addon domain"? Do you mean another domain, or a sub-domain? A sub-domain takes the form of "subdomainname.maindomainname.com". What do you mean by "information about the main domain"? Are you referring to the whois databases? You can opt out of that info being available by paying more, but I'm not sure .co.uk domains show up anyway.

I think you need to speak to your hosting/registration provider. The norm is to have all your domains under one account, but there is no actual connection between the domains.

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
A bit confused. Aug 27, 2009

I hope you don't mind this, but if you are in China, why are you registering a ".co.uk" domain? Wouldn't it be better to use .cn, .com or even .com.cn?

Or is it because xxxx.co.uk has a better ring to it, as it were?

I think what you are getting at is:

basically you want to start trading under a certain name, and
... See more
I hope you don't mind this, but if you are in China, why are you registering a ".co.uk" domain? Wouldn't it be better to use .cn, .com or even .com.cn?

Or is it because xxxx.co.uk has a better ring to it, as it were?

I think what you are getting at is:

basically you want to start trading under a certain name, and then when you have sufficient funds, you are going to register that as a formal company, yes? In which case the other danger is that someone else in the meantime, who has sufficient funds, can register the name as a company before you do. And then they will charge you a fortune to 'buy it back'...

Hey, I think I've just had a brainwave!! Oh, I hope no one else is reading this...just kidding.

Surely you can trade under any name you like, as long as you're registered with the relevant authorities? Later on, when you are a bit richer, or the brand has grown stronger, you can incorporate as a company to protect it a bit better.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can we use our company name on the Homepage even though it's not registered yet?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »