Wifi card or key?
Thread poster: Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
Local time: 14:11
French to English
+ ...
Sep 14, 2009

Hi

I currently have a wired Internet connexion as my office is in the same room as the Freebox that supplies my broadband and telephone.

I'm moving my office into a different room and want to switch to a wifi connexion.

I'd like to know if a key or a card will give me the best connexion in tems of bandwidth and reliability.

I'm non-technical but will answer all questions about my set-up as best I can if this isn't enough info.

Many thanks for your advice,
Sandra


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:11
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Freeplugs can be used, too Sep 14, 2009

Sandra Petch wrote:
I currently have a wired Internet connexion as my office is in the same room as the Freebox that supplies my broadband and telephone.

I'm moving my office into a different room and want to switch to a wifi connexion.

I'd like to know if a key or a card will give me the best connexion in tems of bandwidth and reliability.

With a Freebox, you can use Freeplugs. Although not wifi, these will generally be the best in terms of bandwith and reliability.

Didier


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Sandra Petch
Local time: 14:11
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dongle? Sep 14, 2009

Thanks Dider. I saw there is a dongle in the "Free boutique" - do you know if it's reliable?

Dongle USB 802.11n : 29,99 €
Cet adaptateur USB permet de relier tout équipement informatique (PC, Ordinateur portable) avec votre Freebox équipé de la dernière puce USB à la norme Wifi 802.11n

I have no idea what the norme 802.11n is!

Thanks,
Sandra


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:11
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
802.11n is the latest wifi standard Sep 14, 2009

Sandra Petch wrote:
I saw there is a dongle in the "Free boutique" - do you know if it's reliable?

Dongle USB 802.11n : 29,99 €
Cet adaptateur USB permet de relier tout équipement informatique (PC, Ordinateur portable) avec votre Freebox équipé de la dernière puce USB à la norme Wifi 802.11n


I have absolutely not idea, I haven't tested it.

I have no idea what the norme 802.11n is!

It is the latest wifi standard. To make it simple, all wifi devices are compatible, but you get more bandwidth with the latest standards, if both devices uses the same one.

The first Freeboxes 5 are "mimo", which is a very preliminary version of 802.11n, and hence not really compatible. As stated above, it works, but not at 802.11n speed.

The latest Freeboxes 5 use a draft version of 802.11n, just as the USB dongle. These two should thus get along well.

Didier


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Sandra Petch
Local time: 14:11
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Freebox V5 Sep 14, 2009

Thanks - mine is a pretty old Freebox V5, from 2006, so not compatible with the "dongle."

I guess it's either a PCI card + a technician to install or a key I can install myself.

On the Free users website someone has said a key will work fine for me so maybe I'll take that option.

Thanks!

[Edited at 2009-09-14 14:58 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

David Goward  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:11
French to English
My experience with Wanadoo (Orange) Livebox Sep 14, 2009

My work desktop is also hard-wired to my Livebox as it's installed in my office.
I tried a wireless connection using the dongle provided by Wanadoo (Orange) from the PC in my living room so that my wife and kids could have Internet access. It was next to useless. It was explained to me that problems are caused by steel reinforcements in walls and, particularly, floors. My office is on a lower floor to my living room.

I seemed to have largely solved the problem by using a "power line carrier" setup (CPL, courant porteur en ligne, in French). IIRC, they were about 80 euro for a pair of adapters. Might be worth considering if you're likely to have similar "rebar issues"!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:11
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
All wifi solutions are compatible Sep 14, 2009

Sandra Petch wrote:

Thanks - mine is a pretty old Freebox V5, from 2006, so not compatible with the "dongle."

I guess it's either a PCI card + a technician to install or a key I can install myself.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. All wifi solutions are compatible. Some combinations will be faster or slower, but all will work anyway.

On the Free users website someone has said a key will work fine for me so maybe I'll take that option.

Yes, it will definitely work.

Didier


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:11
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Freeplugs are 69.98 € Sep 14, 2009

David Goward wrote:
I seemed to have largely solved the problem by using a "power line carrier" setup (CPL, courant porteur en ligne, in French). IIRC, they were about 80 euro for a pair of adapters. Might be worth considering if you're likely to have similar "rebar issues"!

Yes, CPL is a good solution, especially since the new 200 Mb adapters. A pair of 'Freeplugs classic' is 69.98 in the Free boutique.

Didier


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Sandra Petch
Local time: 14:11
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Conclusion! Sep 17, 2009

Thanks Didier and David, it's good to have input from other French broadband users (and I have to say we get great packages compared with, say, the UK).

I think I'll take the key option first and see how that works (the two rooms are on the same floor and not miles apart). If the connexion is bad then I'll take option two of the card.

All the best
Sandra


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wifi card or key?

Advanced search






TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search