Thread poster: Jing Nie

Jing Nie
China
Local time: 22:23
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 5, 2011

I tried google translator toolkit(GTT) since its birth. I have used it formally for more than one year.
Most translators will point out the privacy problem; and you feed the google with correct translations,so google will get your TM without paying.
But I must point out ,even Trados 2009 have integrated GTT function and more CAT tools have similiar functions or try to have similar functions. Why? Because the translation quality form GTT is become better and better.

To my opinion, The most exciting function is not the machine translation function, but the cooperating mode between 2 or more translators who are working on the same large project. They can share the TM at the same time that they are doing the translation, they can discuss during translation. They can also share the same Termbase.

I cooperated with several colleagues using google translator toolkit for several times, we worked smoothly. The proofreader can proofread the translation before it is completed by the other translator. And You can add comments in the translation to inform the other translator.

As an immature product, GTT also have many bugs, but during the One year I experienced the rapid progress it made. At first, it only support English to other lanuages, soon it support translation between 52 languages , I think it will support all languages very soon. Now it also support shrink and expand segments. You can also build your OWN TM that do not allow other people use it.

I believe that GTT will be the first choice for most translators in the near future.

Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 16:23
English to Russian
+ ...
It's not a translator's tool Apr 5, 2011

"Translator toolkit" is a misnomer, it should be called "post-editor toolkit". Currently, and probably for years to come, "machine translation" and "high quality" are mutually exclusive notions, even if MT is only used as a pretranslation tool.
As to collaborative features, they are present in the vast majority of CAT tools on the market.

[Edited at 2011-04-05 19:04 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
A few comments Apr 5, 2011

Jing Nie wrote:
I tried google translator toolkit(GTT) since its birth. I have used it formally for more than one year.
Most translators will point out the privacy problem; and you feed the google with correct translations,so google will get your TM without paying.

Exactly. But it's not about my translation, it's all about my client's data.

But I must point out ,even Trados 2009 have integrated GTT function and more CAT tools have similiar functions or try to have similar functions. Why? Because the translation quality form GTT is become better and better.

For Czech, it hasn't improved a bit. GMT may be working better for other languages though.

To my opinion, The most exciting function is not the machine translation function, but the cooperating mode between 2 or more translators who are working on the same large project. They can share the TM at the same time that they are doing the translation, they can discuss during translation. They can also share the same Termbase.

You can get the same result with WordFast Anywhere (www.freetm.com) and without all those privacy issues.

I believe that GTT will be the first choice for most translators in the near future.

I don't.

My 2 cents...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is THE problem! Apr 5, 2011

Jing Nie wrote:

I wonder how one can discuss the benefits of a tool that makes you breach your most important professional commitment: the privacy of your customer's data. When that is resolved and Google does not store the information I process and generate, we will be able to continue the discussion.

Jing Nie
China
Local time: 22:23
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
About privacy Apr 6, 2011

Thanks a lot for each of you who replied my post. As everyone point out, privacy is the most import thing. I have researched the privacy terms from GOOGLE before I begin the translation on GTT.

As for MT translation quality, I have mentioned that it is not important for me, I have to translate each sentence, but sometimes the MT result is correct or almost correct for short sentences.
As for the MT translation quality issue. According to vice president of google, google searched multi language websites from the Internet and got the language pairs after analysis, it means for languages that more people used, the quality will be better.
According to Wiki, the most successful MT is French > English, I agree. Although I never studied French, I can read French webpages without difficulty after it is translated into English by Google.

Please read this:
http://translate.google.com/toolkit/TOS.html?hl=en
Sharing your Documents, Glossaries, Translation Memory(-ies) and Ratings with others and terminating your Google account
Documents
Each document is only viewable by you and users with whom you explicitly share the document.

Glossaries
Each glossary is only viewable by you and users with whom you explicitly share the glossary or documents that use the glossary.

Translation Memories
(1) If you mark your translation memory as "not shared with everyone", each translation unit in the translation memory will be viewable only by you and users with whom you explicitly share the translation memory or documents that use the translation memory.

(2) If you mark your translation memory as "shared with everyone", each translation unit in the translation memory will be viewable by other end users.

You can revoke sharing privileges on Documents, Glossaries, or Translation Memories that you created at any time. If you do not want your Translation Documents, Glossaries, or Translation Memory(-ies) to continue to be shared with the people you designated for sharing after you terminate your Google account, you must revoke sharing privileges prior to terminating your Google account.

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I wonder how one can discuss the benefits of a tool that makes you breach your most important professional commitment: the privacy of your customer's data. When that is resolved and Google does not store the information I process and generate, we will be able to continue the discussion.

[修改时间: 2011-04-06 00:35 GMT]

Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Russian
+ ...
Quality and privacy are more than you think Apr 7, 2011

As for MT translation quality, I have mentioned that it is not important for me, I have to translate each sentence, but sometimes the MT result is correct or almost correct for short sentences.
Although I never studied French, I can read French webpages without difficulty after it is translated into English by Google.

Merely being correct or producing a translation readable without difficulty does not really amount to high quality. The problem with MT is that a post-editor correcting the MT output remains a prisoner of the sentence structure generated by the machine. A very experienced editor may be able to overcome it, but the time required for editing will be about the same as for translating from scratch.
It has already been posted here: a ProZ member edited a text generated by Google Translate, producing a final result that he, an experienced translator, considered good at the time he was doing it; then he waited several months to forget the details and translated the same text again, this time without Google Translate. The two results were dramatically different in terms of quality and expressive power, the MT one lagging far behind.

You can revoke sharing privileges on Documents, Glossaries, or Translation Memories that you created at any time.

You can only avoid sharing you work with other users, but you are still sharing it with Google, and Google asserts its right to use it for whatever purpose it deems fit. This implicit contribution to the Google data mining machinery is potentially a lot more dangerous than sharing it with specific users.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google translator toolkit, an inevitable trend

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search