Thread poster: Joshua Pepper
Joshua Pepper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:05
French to English
+ ...
Aug 8, 2013

Hi,

I have recently had a problem whereby my email responses to job listings posted on Proz have been sent back automatically from two independent (prospective) clients' servers. (NOTE: the problem has nothing to do with proz, I'm just trying to provide some context).

The error message that I got back was similar to one of these:
http://www.mailscreen.se/support/554-denied-message.html

Specifically, the 554 Denied (CS) message, which according to the link means that the recipient's software has automatically flagged my message as spam, and has sent it back.

Reading through the link's description, I can see why my emails may have been flagged, as they contained a listing of my rates and the odd phrase like 'I would be delighted to strike up a working relationship with you.' (Yes, I'm ashamed to say that I enjoy writing like that!)

Rejection due to bad reputation of outgoing domain can be ruled out - my domain is only used by myself, is clean and pretty new, and was marked as non-conspicuous on all of the registers I could find.

My problem is that my emails are obviously legit, and I'm not particularly happy about having to have to jump through hoops to get spam filters to like me (and I'm not entirely sure which hoops I have to jump through). The suggested workarounds, namely contacting recipients and getting them to whitelist me is of no use in this case; when I'm looking for work I don't want to burden prospective clients with technicalities of the sort.

The purpose of this post is partly to vent, but nevertheless:
My questions: has anybody experienced this before? I'm trying to gauge how common my problem is.
Does anyone have any vaguely relevant comments that they might like to make?

Thanks.

EDIT: I have just found the following thread, which seems to be related, and already answers some of my questions
http://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/42975-outlook_all_emails_coming_back_as_undeliverable.html

[Edited at 2013-08-08 23:35 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:05
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Ask their admins Aug 9, 2013

This is a wrong place to ask actually. You should contact them, particularly their mail server administrator(s). You don’t provide any detail about your e-mail account, which leaves only to guess. Perhaps, yours is on a free server such as gmail and some admins flag free servers as spammers by default. So, ask them to whitelist you.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outgoing emails getting flagged as spam and sent back

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search