In need of a good and cheap email provider (Greece)
Thread poster: Yanna Brouzou
Yanna Brouzou
Yanna Brouzou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 20:49
English to Greek
+ ...
Aug 23, 2013

Dear ProZ Team,
Thank you for attempting to support the industry with your guidance.
However, there are some parameters that perhaps should be concidered like:
The whole problem could be resulved if the translators password-protect the delivered assignments, until payment is realized. This would trully close the door..
I use a gmail address. This does not mean that it is free, as I am paying for my internet connection to an internet provider. (I know there is always inter
... See more
Dear ProZ Team,
Thank you for attempting to support the industry with your guidance.
However, there are some parameters that perhaps should be concidered like:
The whole problem could be resulved if the translators password-protect the delivered assignments, until payment is realized. This would trully close the door..
I use a gmail address. This does not mean that it is free, as I am paying for my internet connection to an internet provider. (I know there is always internet-cafe)
I use a gmail address because microsoft and local microsoft-helpers, WITHOUT EVER, NOT EVER, informing me they stopped my out-going mail and my in-coming mail, giving me the title of "persona non grata" because, I normanly communicate with many companies around the world for work or marketing.
As I said I NEVER KNEW what they were doing to me, so I was isolated from my clients with my income becoming zero.
I naturally changed internet provider, but the same thing occured, only this time the new provider informed me. So good of them....
Today, after 25 years in the business, I am trying to work using gmail (not microsoft) as the cost to open a webpage is unattainable for the moment, and I do not know if it is safe to use, from Microsoft.
As a point of interest, microsoft is able to detect messages containing unexeptable topics/material. Well then WHY they did not search my mail before killing me?
As you can see, there are some of us who are obliged to use gmail, in order to work.
Perhaps it is time to make it a rule to pass-word protect the files and to at lease know that we will be paid. (I have lost many thousand Euros from american, british and korean companies so far).

Thank you so much for reading this message, it is good to know that there are people like you who are supporting us.

Wishing you the best,
Yanna Brouzou
Translator
Collapse

Srini Venkataraman
Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 12:49
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
But I saw this too Aug 23, 2013

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/aug/14/google-gmail-users-privacy-email-lawsuit

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You raise two issues Aug 24, 2013

First registering your own internet-address like xxx.com, xxx.net etc. is not expensive. Look at Network Solutions:
http://www.networksolutions.com/index-v2.jsp

You can park your domain in any country you like and where you can afford it. If you are member of Proz.com, you can use their service, as I do since many years.

If you have your own domain, you can use
... See more
First registering your own internet-address like xxx.com, xxx.net etc. is not expensive. Look at Network Solutions:
http://www.networksolutions.com/index-v2.jsp

You can park your domain in any country you like and where you can afford it. If you are member of Proz.com, you can use their service, as I do since many years.

If you have your own domain, you can use this as a mail service. Or you choose an Internet provider who offers free mail accounts, most do. I pay for my mail service 1 Euro / month. There has never been any problems.

The other issue you address is non-paying customers. Protecting the translation until payment is received has been brought up many times before, but it will not work. Your clients must be able to look at your translation to make sure it is alright, they will use proofreaders or editors and must transfer the content into their software etc.
The only solution to this problem is to choose clients carefully and stop working for those that do not pay.
Collapse

Yanna Brouzou
Yanna Brouzou  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 24, 2013

Thank you so much for your advice.
The email addresses provided with your internet connection here in Greece are very expensive. I pay Euro40+/month. As for the email address, it usually belongs to Microsoft and therefore it is useless.
I will try to acquire my own electronic home and even better through ProZ.
Thank you again!
Be well
Yanna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In need of a good and cheap email provider (Greece)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »