Thread poster: Philippe SALMON

Philippe SALMON
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:14
Member (2013)
English to French
Aug 31, 2013

http://bit.ly/14J2eYa

What do people think of this? I think it is an excellent summary of the issues!

Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:14
German to English
pass it on! Sep 3, 2013

good piece, so everyone, pass it on to your outsourcers, clients, customers, other translators. Let's spread the news and do ourselves a favour!
thanks for that Philippe!
icon_smile.gif

Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Member (Apr 2018)
French to English
language translation Sep 3, 2013

Rather mystified about "language translation". Does anyone translate anything else?

Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Like many (most?) words 'translation' has several meanings ... Sep 3, 2013

Texte Style wrote:

Rather mystified about "language translation". Does anyone translate anything else?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translation_(disambiguation)

Philippe SALMON
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:14
Member (2013)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Geometry Sep 4, 2013

The main other usage I am aware of relates to translating a geometric shape, which usually means moving it vertically or horizontally on the x or y axis of a graph.

Rolf Keller wrote:

Texte Style wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translation_(disambiguation)

Don Hank  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:14
German to English
+ ...
I think Tea raises relevant issues Sep 4, 2013

PhilippeSalmon wrote:

http://bit.ly/14J2eYa

What do people think of this? I think it is an excellent summary of the issues!

The author, Tea, raises issues that today's translator needs to face sooner or later. I am seeing more and more ads for 'post editors.' This means the company uses translation s/w to generate a 'machine' translation and needs us to polish it. I am an old fashioned guy, been in the biz since about 1971, and much prefer to translate 'from scratch.' But that is an approach that may be destined for the dust bin of translation history, sad to say. We need to remember that to be a really good post editor, you need to be a good translator too. If you have ever seen a Google Translate translation, you know that, unless you have the original before you, you simply can't make sense of some sentences in the target language. On the other hand, my hat is off to the people who have brought machine translation to this level.
Tea is talking in particular about commercial texts, such as sales literature, that require insight into the target culture, and I have a feeling machine translation will never cut it in that area.
After all, the machine 'knows' an incredible amount of information. But how does it 'feel' about that ad?

Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Time needed to get familiar with a text Sep 5, 2013

Don Hank wrote:

If you have ever seen a Google Translate translation, you know that, unless you have the original before you, you simply can't make sense of some sentences in the target language.

The sticking point is: The translator "lives" for, say, 20 hours or days within the original text. How could the post-editor ever get the translator's knowledge on this specific text if this editor is expected to complete the work within only 2 hours or days?

This might work with simple texts and good translators, but not with technical texts and (bad?) MT.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excellent piece on OnlineTranslation

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search