Never change email again.
Thread poster: David Warwick
David Warwick
David Warwick  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:25
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Oct 19, 2004

I have had to change email twice this year which has caused me no end of difficulties. I used to have a bigfoot.com mail-forwarding account because I thought I could keep that forever and simply change the mail it forwarded to, but the service was patchy and as a free service there was nobody to complain to. What's the best solution for email? An email-forwarding service that works? Or setting up a domain? I'm prepared to pay if it means I can choose an address and stick with it forever, regardl... See more
I have had to change email twice this year which has caused me no end of difficulties. I used to have a bigfoot.com mail-forwarding account because I thought I could keep that forever and simply change the mail it forwarded to, but the service was patchy and as a free service there was nobody to complain to. What's the best solution for email? An email-forwarding service that works? Or setting up a domain? I'm prepared to pay if it means I can choose an address and stick with it forever, regardless of whether I change provider or country. Thanks for your helpCollapse

Daphne Theodoraki
Daphne Theodoraki  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 16:25
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
Domain Oct 19, 2004

David Warwick wrote:

What's the best solution for email? An email-forwarding service that works? Or setting up a domain? I'm prepared to pay if it means I can choose an address and stick with it forever, regardless of whether I change provider or country. Thanks for your help

I'd say the best solution is to set up a domain. Then you'll have your desired e-mail address and can forward all e-mails sent to that address to whichever ISP you happen to have at the time, no matter in which country. Just make sure that your domain registrar is ICANN -accredited, so that the risk of it closing down or not functioning properly is reduced to a minimun. You can get your own ICANN-accredited domain name for as little as $7/year.
You can find all ICANN-accredited registrars at http://www.icann.org/registrars/accreditation-qualified-list.html

Good luck!

[Edited at 2004-10-19 11:17]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:25
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Pay for it Oct 19, 2004

I'm not so shure about own domains. Even if the domain is your you have to pay someone to put it up on a server. And if this guy proves to be technically inferior you have to move your domain to someone else's server. Those transfers always take time and effort.

Better find a big provider and pay for the service, then you can be sure that the corporation will stay in business and your address will function.
There is no free lunch out there.

InText Translation Company
InText Translation Company
Estonia
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Lux Scientiae Oct 19, 2004

David,

You can definitely use webmail/email provider Lux Scientiae. I know them for a long time and I have my web site hosted with them. I have translated their webmail interface into Russian and Ukrainian languages so I am well aware about the full scope of their services. Lux provides reliability, security, backups, and perfect technical support. And they have an affiliate program too here is the link (copy and past
... See more
David,

You can definitely use webmail/email provider Lux Scientiae. I know them for a long time and I have my web site hosted with them. I have translated their webmail interface into Russian and Ukrainian languages so I am well aware about the full scope of their services. Lux provides reliability, security, backups, and perfect technical support. And they have an affiliate program too here is the link (copy and paste)

http://luxsci.com/index.html/v_legotin

Of course this looks like a kind of ad, but I know them for many years and yes, they are really good.

Valery Legotin
Collapse

Daphne Theodoraki
Sweden
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
E-mail set-up does not require setting up a website Oct 19, 2004

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Even if the domain is your you have to pay someone to put it up on a server. And if this guy proves to be technically inferior you have to move your domain to someone else's server. Those transfers always take time and effort.

Heinrich,
I think you're confusing two different things here. Creating your webpage and putting it up on the web has nothing to do with your e-mail. You can still register a domain and use the relevant e-mail [email protected] without having to create the www.yourname.com web-site. That's why there are so many "under construction" sites out there: because people register a domain, use the e-mail they get this way, but either don't have the time or knowledge to also create a website. And nobody said anything about a free lunch

Angel Biojo
Angel Biojo
United States
Local time: 08:25
English to Spanish
No problem Oct 19, 2004

I have had the free yahoo service for several years and I have never experienced any problem. The only thing important is to empty your mailbox from time to time.

Regards,

Angel

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Domain is the way to go. Get enough MB. Oct 19, 2004

I certainly agree with Daphne. Have you thought about your business image? Consider the impression you make when you write from [email protected] (with a bunch of ads tacked on to your message) vs. [email protected] (for example).

I'd get a domain plus a significant chunk of MB for your emails (say 200 MB). Like Daphne points out, you don't necessarily
... See more
I certainly agree with Daphne. Have you thought about your business image? Consider the impression you make when you write from [email protected] (with a bunch of ads tacked on to your message) vs. [email protected] (for example).

I'd get a domain plus a significant chunk of MB for your emails (say 200 MB). Like Daphne points out, you don't necessarily have to set up a web page. But if you go through a hosting company, they often have package deals and convenient control panels where you can manage everything very easily. You could then just use whatever external mail program you like (I like Netscape Mail) to read your emails (or use your hosting company's online Webmail function).

Another advantage is that you can ftp things to your site. We've all experienced the problem when a file needs to be somewhere NOW, and you're under time pressure, and somehow your email is down or simply hasn't arrived at the client yet or got lost. You can ftp the file to your site and then send the client the link. This has saved the day for me numerous times over the years.

My only other recommendation is to pick a domain name (which will hence be your email address) that is easy to pronounce and recognize on the phone. My original domain was/is a combination of my first and last name, which unfortunately are not very common in my country of residence and often led to confusion on the phone (one "l"? two "l's"? one word? hyphen in the middle? etc.). I got a secondary domain that is short and sweet, that everyone immediately recognizes, that forwards to my "real" address. I cannot tell you how useful this is on the phone or even in person.

[Edited at 2004-10-19 16:57]
Collapse

Marc Adler
Marc Adler
Japanese to English
domain hosting and website/email hosting Oct 19, 2004

Diane,

There's no doubt about the usefulness of having your own domain. For a nominal sum, you can register it and then set up email using that domain name.

Note that these are two different processes. First, you register your domain name with a registrar, and then you find a hosting service to host the actual website and/or email.

I registered my domain name
... See more
Diane,

There's no doubt about the usefulness of having your own domain. For a nominal sum, you can register it and then set up email using that domain name.

Note that these are two different processes. First, you register your domain name with a registrar, and then you find a hosting service to host the actual website and/or email.

I registered my domain name with

http://www.directnic.com/

It's very simple and ludicrously inexpensive.

My website and email are hosted by

http://www.liquidweb.com/

You don't have to set up a website, however. You can just set up a couple of email addresses, and off you go.

Hope that helps,
Marc Adler
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
affiliate programs Oct 19, 2004

InTexts wrote:
And they have an affiliate program too here is the link (copy and paste)

http://luxsci.com/index.html/{your name for the affiliate program}

Valery Legotin

I don't think this type of links are allowed here in the fora...
Could some moderator confirm please?

Cheers,
Grace.

ps. from the rules:
"6. No advertising
All forms of commercial solicitation are prohibited. Mention of any product or service will be permitted only to the extent it is necessary in the course of a discussion."

[Edited at 2004-10-19 20:59]

Thierry Lafaye (X)
Thierry Lafaye (X)
English to French
+ ...
A domain for mail only - don't know why I didn't think about it before Oct 19, 2004

Hi all,

Funny enough, I just don't know why I didn't think of using my setup domain for something else than my professional website, but rather use the e-mail accounts which I can setup for it. It should would go the extra mile for my reputation image Thanks to all to having me helped thinking about this.

This would logically have also the advantage when moving ISP if you're not too happy about one (which
... See more
Hi all,

Funny enough, I just don't know why I didn't think of using my setup domain for something else than my professional website, but rather use the e-mail accounts which I can setup for it. It should would go the extra mile for my reputation image Thanks to all to having me helped thinking about this.

This would logically have also the advantage when moving ISP if you're not too happy about one (which I am considering) so your forwarding @yourname.com could be pointing to any ISP if you change and wouldn't confuse your customers/business partners, that's a cool idea! Still maybe the SPAM issue but that's the same when you have a fixed ISP mail account anyway.

Good night to all.

Thierry
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Email without server? Oct 20, 2004

Hi Daphne,
have you found out a way to get email without someone providing a server for it? Please read my posting again, do I write about web-pages?
Regards
Heinrich

Daphne Theodoraki
Sweden
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
Server.... Oct 20, 2004

Hi Henrich,

No, you didn\'t mention specifically a web-site, but you wrote:

Even if the domain is your you have to pay someone to put it up on a server.

By \"pay someone to put it up on a server\" I understand setting up your web-site; I can\'t see what else you might mean. If you mean \"register it in order to be functional\", so that you can use it, of course you have to! If you don\'t register it, it is not yours

And if this guy proves to be technically inferior you have to move your domain to someone else\'s server. Those transfers always take time and effort.

The point is, when you choose a domain name, pay for it (or maybe not, but that\'s risky) and get it registered, you can immediately use it as your email address, and nothing else needs to be done, no technicians needed, nothing, no \"time and effort\", apart from perhaps 24 hours before your e-mail forwarding becomes active. Read also Michele\'s posting or even Thierry\'s, it is quite clear.

Better find a big provider and pay for the service, then you can be sure that the corporation will stay in business and your address will function.

Yes, only this is exactly David\'s concern: that he might want to change provider, or even change country (and thus provider), so we \'re back to the beginning: he\'ll have to change e-mail address, unless his provider is yahoo!, hotmail or similar, which does not give a very professional image...

Hope it\'s clear now!

Dan Schioenning Larsen
Dan Schioenning Larsen
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Hosting company does the registering Oct 20, 2004

Hi Marc,

Most often the hosting service will take care of the domain registering for you. Sometimes they will even pay for it, if you in turn buy their hosting plan.

So you only have to deal with one place.

If at a later time you get tired of this host, you are always allowed to move the domain to another host. You own the domain. The host does not.

MarcAdler wrote:

Dan Schioenning Larsen
Dan Schioenning Larsen
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
you always need a host Oct 20, 2004

Daphne Theodoraki wrote:

The point is, when you choose a domain name, pay for it (or maybe not, but that\'s risky) and get it registered, you can immediately use it as your email address, and nothing else needs to be done,

This is only true if you buy your domain through a hosting company. If you buy it from a registrar, you cannot expect to recieve a mail forwarding service or anything else. With them you only secure the rights to the domain. That most registrars also offer a hosting plan is something else.

You always need a hosting company to run the needed DNS services that will make sure email sent to your domain is forwarded to the right place.

Of course, if you are loaded and have a thick cable connecting you to the net, you can set up your own DNS servers...

Daphne Theodoraki
Sweden
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
Hosting most often included in registrars' offers Oct 21, 2004

Dan Larsen wrote:

That most registrars also offer a hosting plan is something else.

You always need a hosting company to run the needed DNS services that will make sure email sent to your domain is forwarded to the right place.

True. But nowadays, most serious registrars also offer DNS services included in the registration price, without your needing to also purchase a hosting plan - mine is one of those and I haven't purchased a hosting plan. And my e-mail works fine!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Never change email again.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »