Cyrillic website not displaying right in my browser
Thread poster: BrianHayden
BrianHayden
United States
Russian to English
Dec 19, 2013

Today when I tried to access this website (http://www.frazeologiya.ru/) all I saw was Latin-script gibberish with a lot of weird diacritics. I've seen Cyrillic transformed into what looks like someone randomly pounding on an Estonian keyboard before, but I've never seen an entire website display like this. I'm using Google Chrome as my browser; I also tried it using Internet Explorer 8. Weird thing is, I found the website through Яндекс, where a search result from the website displayed as completely normal Russian Cyrillic. Go figure.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Valery Shapovalenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:41
English to Russian
+ ...
Strange, Dec 19, 2013

'cause I read it with my Chrome as usual - Cyrillic...

Seriously, try to set CodePage 1251 in your IE8. Or ask Google Team to help you. In your Chrome Settings add Russian Language.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:41
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Weird Dec 19, 2013

I used Chrome and the result was the same. Very confusing.



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 15:41
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Try utf-8 Dec 20, 2013

Your source code shows the page encoding as "cp-1251"

I would change that to "utf-8"...



[Edited at 2013-12-20 06:31 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:41
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Problem on their side probably Dec 20, 2013

BrianHayden wrote:

Today when I tried to access this website (http://www.frazeologiya.ru/)


Now, it says: ‘SQL error’. Thus, perhaps, they’re experiencing technical problems. Anyway, try forcing cp-1251 for the encoding.

[Edited at 2013-12-20 08:21 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:41
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Hardly Dec 20, 2013

Recep Kurt wrote:

I would change that to "utf-8"...


UTF-8 on Russian sites is a very rare exception.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 14:41
English to German
The other way round Dec 20, 2013

Recep Kurt wrote:

Your source code shows the page encoding as "cp-1251"

I would change that to "utf-8"...


The web page uses cp-1251, definitely. So you have to set the browser either to "automatic" or to "cp-1251". If you set it to "utf-8", you'll get gibberish.


[Bearbeitet am 2013-12-20 08:32 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
BrianHayden
United States
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
How would I do that? Dec 20, 2013

Rolf Keller wrote:

Recep Kurt wrote:

Your source code shows the page encoding as "cp-1251"

I would change that to "utf-8"...


The web page uses cp-1251, definitely. So you have to set the browser either to "automatic" or to "cp-1251". If you set it to "utf-8", you'll get gibberish.


[Bearbeitet am 2013-12-20 08:32 GMT]


How would I set Chrome to automatic or cp-1251? I'm not very computer-savvy.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 14:41
English to German
Help is at your fingertips Dec 20, 2013

BrianHayden wrote:

How would I set Chrome to automatic or cp-1251? I'm not very computer-savvy.


http://www.googlechrometutorial.com/google-chrome-initial-settings/Google-chrome-page-settings.html#GoogleChromeEncoding

A similar setting exists in MS Internet Explorer (see View menu).


Direct link Reply with quote
 
BrianHayden
United States
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I think you accidentally included the "/" at the end Dec 20, 2013

esperantisto wrote:

BrianHayden wrote:

Today when I tried to access this website (http://www.frazeologiya.ru/)


Now, it says: ‘SQL error’. Thus, perhaps, they’re experiencing technical problems. Anyway, try forcing cp-1251 for the encoding.

[Edited at 2013-12-20 08:21 GMT]


...because without that forward slash at the end, it displays the same gibberish that it did last time.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
BrianHayden
United States
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 20, 2013

Rolf Keller wrote:

BrianHayden wrote:

How would I set Chrome to automatic or cp-1251? I'm not very computer-savvy.


http://www.googlechrometutorial.com/google-chrome-initial-settings/Google-chrome-page-settings.html#GoogleChromeEncoding

A similar setting exists in MS Internet Explorer (see View menu).


Thanks for linking to that tutorial. I changed Chrome's settings to Auto-Detect, and now the website is displaying coherent Cyrillic. Problem solved.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Skallagrimson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:41
Latvian to Russian
+ ...
Cyrillic website not displaying right in my browser Dec 20, 2013

I am using Mac OS X 10.9.1 | Safari 7.0.1

Usually Russian websites are displaying OK without changing Text Encoding, but this one I can read with «Cyrillic (Windows)».

Same with Firefox: Character Encoding ––> Cyrillic (Windows-1251)

Cheers, Egils


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cyrillic website not displaying right in my browser

Advanced search






Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search