Thread poster: Claire Cox

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:57
French to English
+ ...
Feb 17, 2014

Hello,

I'm just in the throes of setting up a new computer with Windows, 8 and Office 2013 - or rather my son did most of the donkey work yesterday and I'm just fine-tuning my settings today, However, I've realised that Outlook isn't showing my Sent Mail for my Gmail account. I can't work out why this is; the sent mail is still shown when I look in gmail itself, so why isn't it bringing it across? Has anyone else encountered this? I've looked online and not found anything to help. Clicking in the IMAP folders under Settings shows that it's subscribed but it isn't in the list.

I'd be very grateful for any guidance - am fast reaching the end of my tether: too many things to change!

Many thanks,

Claire

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:57
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Check under Gmail/Sent Feb 17, 2014

The way Gmail works over IMAP is a little awkward.
When you set up an account in Outlook it creates some folders by default (Sent, Trash, etc.), but these don't necessarily correspond to the Sent, Trash, Spam, etc. lables of Gmail.

I don't remember enough about Outlook 2003 to give you a step-by-step instructions about how to accomplish this, but make sure that the Trash, Sent, Spam and all other relevant folders in Outlook points to the corresponding Gmail labels (in Outlook you should see a folder named Gmail with all the built-in Gnail labels (such as All mail, Sent, Spam, Trash) appearing as its sub folders).
It is important to point the Trash and Sent folders to the sub folders (i.e. Gmail labels), otherwise when you delete and email in Outlook it will not be deleted from the All Mail label of Gmail and your sent email won't display correctly in Gmail web interface,

Then also make sure that you have subscribed to those subfolders (Gmail labels) in Outlook.

[Edited at 2014-02-17 16:23 GMT]

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:57
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Duhhhh Feb 17, 2014

Many thanks Shai,

Turns out it was there all along; I'm not familiar with Outlook (2013 in this case, but any other for that matter) and hadn't realised that I needed to click the little expand arrow at the side of Gmail to get the individual folders to show. Some of the folders were shown separately so it didn't even occur to me. Thank you anyway - I've had a very frazzling day!

Claire

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:57
English to Hebrew
+ ...
One more advice Feb 17, 2014

You're Welcomeicon_smile.gif.

If you can, I recommend deleting Outlook redundant folders.
In Gmail web interface those local Outlook labels appear as IMAP/Trash; IMAP/Sent, but as mentioned, are just useless because Gmail, by default, uses its own "folders".

Still, make sure that the trash and sent folders in outlook are set to point to the correct Gmail lables (GMAIL\Trash and GMAIL\Sent), otherwise your deleted email won't get deleted from Gmail (they will remain in the All Mail folders) and you sent email won't show correctly under the Gmail\Sent label.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems getting Outlook 2013 to download sent mails from Gmail

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search