Keywords for SEO
Thread poster: Vladislav.
Vladislav.
Vladislav.

Local time: 14:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 12, 2014

Hello. I have visited the profile of a certain translator on this website and have noticed that under the heading "Keywords" there are listed countless phrases for Search Engine Optimization in order to increase the translator's chances of appearing in search results on the Internet.

Could anyone please answer the following questions:

1) Should I do a similar thing with my profile to increase the chances of my name appearing in Internet search results?

2) H
... See more
Hello. I have visited the profile of a certain translator on this website and have noticed that under the heading "Keywords" there are listed countless phrases for Search Engine Optimization in order to increase the translator's chances of appearing in search results on the Internet.

Could anyone please answer the following questions:

1) Should I do a similar thing with my profile to increase the chances of my name appearing in Internet search results?

2) How effective is such use of keywords?

3) Will Google's sophisticated software automatically block or reduce Internet traffic to my profile if I repeat the same words in different phrases? (I have read a rumor about such possibility.)
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:01
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Use them Jun 12, 2014

Google's algorithms are indeed very sophisticated. Google knows that this website is legit and that the keyword stuffing on this website is legit. On this website you can get away with things you shouldn't try on your own 30-page website.

SEO has evolved a lot. In the AltaVista era we could rank first for the search term translator or plumber. Nowadays we have to find a niche in the search engine result pages. You'll have a hard time to rank first page for Ukrainian
... See more
Google's algorithms are indeed very sophisticated. Google knows that this website is legit and that the keyword stuffing on this website is legit. On this website you can get away with things you shouldn't try on your own 30-page website.

SEO has evolved a lot. In the AltaVista era we could rank first for the search term translator or plumber. Nowadays we have to find a niche in the search engine result pages. You'll have a hard time to rank first page for Ukrainian to English translator but you could have more luck with Ukrainian to English translator cattle

That's where the ProZ keywords can be of use. They can help you rank (very) high for improbable search terms llike clowns circus dutch translator without hurting or diluting your own website or your or my profile on this website.

Good luck,
Gerard
Collapse

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:01
French to English
+ ...
Google isn't that stupid... Jun 13, 2014

In general, if you think you've come up with some clever way to fool search engines, the search engine companies have also thought of the same tricks and taken measures not to be fooled by them...

I would concentrate more on making sure that the content of your profile reads well to human readers.

Roberto Bertuol
Roberto Bertuol  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:01
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
SEO Keywords for translators Jun 13, 2014

Hi ktovl92,
whether Google is going to penalise your Proz page for "keyword stuffing" is difficult to say, however it will if you do that on your website. The latest guidelines recommend writing a copy that contains the relevant keywords in the most natural way. So Neil is right, do not repeat the keywords, not only because Google might penalise the page, but mainly
... See more
Hi ktovl92,
whether Google is going to penalise your Proz page for "keyword stuffing" is difficult to say, however it will if you do that on your website. The latest guidelines recommend writing a copy that contains the relevant keywords in the most natural way. So Neil is right, do not repeat the keywords, not only because Google might penalise the page, but mainly because it looks unnatural to "human" readers. Gerard is also right, try to use keywords that are as specific as possible. For instance, if you set up an Insurance company website, you will never rank first in Google page results if people type in "insurance" as there are hundreds of insurance companies that have been online for ages and chances are slim you can compete with them. In this case it would best to choose as a primary keyword, for example, something like "insurance for small pets" or something similar.
You can check what are the best keywords with the best search volume and the least competition by using Google Keyword Planner". In addition to this, if you wish Google and other search engines to find your name more easily, I would try to establish an online identity, for instance, by changing you user nickname from ktovl92 to your actual name, and use the same for all other social media, blogs, forums you might be using. Also, use always the same picture and name the picture with your name-surname.jpg/png.
I hope this helps

Roberto

[Edited at 2014-06-13 12:00 GMT]
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 13:01
English to German
ProZ pages are given preferential treatment? Jun 13, 2014

Roberto Bertuol wrote:
whether Google is going to penalise your Proz page for "keyword stuffing" is difficult to say, however it will if you do that on your website.

Why should Goolge discriminate between both pages?

Vladislav.
Vladislav.

Local time: 14:01
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SEO Jun 13, 2014

Thank you for your prompt replies and valuable advice. I will apply those suggestions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Keywords for SEO

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »